PDA

View Full Version : Black Paint Swirls

beatcop49
03-16-2013, 07:47 AM
I have a black Dodge dually. It has minor swirls and some not so minor scratches from when I let someone borrow it. I do not have a DA polisher, so I have been using Glossworkz Glaze from Chemical Guys by hand. Its labor intensive, I know... but I`m retired and I have the time. I followed up with a good carnuba wax.

The glaze did "repair" some of the swirls, I guess by hiding them with fillers...I don`t know. I`m admitted novice. Up until recently ,I washed my cars like my dad did... with a bucket of suds and an old rag. I know better now....2 bucket method and ONR.

My question is, will repeated coats or "double coats" of the glaze better hide the swirls....is "more better?"

I live in a condo complex with no garage and very little storage space.

Thanks.

Dan
03-16-2013, 08:18 AM
More (applications) is better when it comes to fillers. Check out Megs Ultimate Qwik wax, its is pretty good for hiding swirls after every wash. That said, you might as well fix the swirls the correct way. You can do it by hand but the machines are so cheap now, its just not worth the agony, especially on a huge truck.

beatcop49
03-17-2013, 07:59 AM
More (applications) is better when it comes to fillers. Check out Megs Ultimate Qwik wax, its is pretty good for hiding swirls after every wash. That said, you might as well fix the swirls the correct way. You can do it by hand but the machines are so cheap now, its just not worth the agony, especially on a huge truck.

Thanks. I`m sure paint correction is in the future...I`m just not sure a machine is. I`m not sure I trust myself with a machine on the paint.

Dan
03-17-2013, 01:57 PM
The harbor freight DA is under $50 with a coupon, and you can start out on a gentle setting and work your way up. Even if you just use it for waxing/glazing, you`ll save yourself a ton of agony.

beatcop49
03-17-2013, 02:38 PM
The harbor freight DA is under $50 with a coupon, and you can start out on a gentle setting and work your way up. Even if you just use it for waxing/glazing, you`ll save yourself a ton of agony.

Thanks. I`ll look at one....I just don`t have much confidence in myself and power tools

Legacy
03-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks. I`ll look at one....I just don`t have much confidence in myself and power tools

It`s very user friendly, even my 12 yr. old can use it.

beatcop49
03-17-2013, 07:05 PM
It`s very user friendly, even my 12 yr. old can use it.

Lol...I`m assuming your 12 year old has had some time watching you. But, I`ll give it a whirl. Thanks.

Dan
03-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Spend some time here reading the basics and you will do fine. Also check out youtube, lots of great videos, Mike Phillips has a ton on the basics of DA use.

beatcop49
03-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Spend some time here reading the basics and you will do fine. Also check out youtube, lots of great videos, Mike Phillips has a ton on the basics of DA use.

Thanks. I will. Already learned quite a bit....had to relearn some stuff, too.