PDA

View Full Version : Help! Strange spots on trunk lid

Pages : [1] 2

CosmosMpower
03-11-2013, 08:07 PM
I`m new here and drive a 2010 black Nissan GT-R. I washed my car today for the first time in a few weeks. I used this stuff my buddy gave me called Optimum No Rinse. It worked pretty well but when I got to the trunk I noticed some weird spots on the trunk lid. I thought they were just water spots so I did another pass and even broke out the hose and washed/rinsed but the spots look like they are under the clearcoat in the paint itself. They look like grey water spots that won`t come off. The paint still feels glossy not like the clearcoat is eaten away or anything. Just looks like water or condensation almost trapped underneath the clearcoat. Nothing happens when you press down on the spot either.

The weird part is that they are only on the trunk lid, not on the spoiler, rear bumper, quarter panels or anywhere else on the car. I tried cleaner wax, swirl remover and nothing did anything. Any ideas what in the world this is and how to fix it? It seems like it might be some acid or chemical got on it but I can`t think of when/where this might have happened and why it`s only on the trunk. Any help from the experts is much appreciated!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/Eosphoto/***_zps057227aa.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/Eosphoto/wtf2_zps7e83b682.jpg

David Fermani
03-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Hmmmmm......interesting?

Try taking it back to the dealer (body shop) to get their opinion. There might be a TSB or silent recall about this?

Could anything have dropped/landed on it?

CosmosMpower
03-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Hmmmmm......interesting?

Try taking it back to the dealer (body shop) to get their opinion. There might be a TSB or silent recall about this?

Could anything have dropped/landed on it?

I can`t think of anything that might have landed on it. Weird part is its only on my trunk lid not even on the spoiler that sits on it. Nowhere else on the car are there any spots.

Ron Ketcham
03-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Would be interesting to have some electronic paint thickness gauge readings of the trunk lid and compare them to the top and hood.

Then do a close examination with a 30x lighted magnifier to see if there is any "bubbling` down in the spots.

CosmosMpower
03-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Would be interesting to have some electronic paint thickness gauge readings of the trunk lid and compare them to the top and hood.

Then do a close examination with a 30x lighted magnifier to see if there is any "bubbling` down in the spots.

I did some reading and evidently this has happened to other GT-R owners before. The weird part is that the spots tend to go away when parked in the sun almost like a water bubble that evaporates. I`m not sure how water could get trapped under the clear though. This is the first time I`ve seen this and I`ve had the car about 8 months.

David Fermani
03-11-2013, 10:24 PM
I can`t think of anything that might have landed on it. Weird part is its only on my trunk lid not even on the spoiler that sits on it. Nowhere else on the car are there any spots.

Similar (but different) problem is happening with early vintage 6 Series BMWs on the trunk panels only. Could be a manufacturer`s defect they take care of? These cars have had a multitude of paint issues from inception.

Nth Degree
03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Before I got to Cosmos` 3rd post I was thinking trapped water too. I would first try parking in the sun for a day before trying anything else. Could try hitting with a light polish to see if it is some sort of chemical staining.

Keep us posted.

togwt
03-12-2013, 04:56 AM
This is usually caused by moisture entrapment; use a 1:10 solution of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water, using a heat-gun (or hair dryer) 24-inches from the surface using slow oscillating motions, be patient as this takes time

CosmosMpower
03-12-2013, 09:12 AM
This is usually caused by moisture entrapment; use a 1:10 solution of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water, using a heat-gun (or hair dryer) 24-inches from the surface using slow oscillating motions, be patient as this takes time

Do I spray the alcohol/water solution on the spots and then dry it with a hairdryer? Does the alcohol soak through the clear and evaporate the moisture?

My service advisor said this happens with other Nissan cars too. I may be making a warranty claim.

Ron Ketcham
03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
The "drying" of the clear would have been my next suggestion. All vehicles today will accept some moisture into the paint systems, normally doesn`t leave the "spots".

No need to dilute, actually. Just soak the area down, can be 70% or 90%, just get it on so it can penetrate, let it sit and then use the heat, about 6 to 8 inches, from the surface, in the slow oscillating motions.

IPA works as a drying agent and pulls the water out of the paint.

CosmosMpower
03-12-2013, 01:29 PM
The "drying" of the clear would have been my next suggestion. All vehicles today will accept some moisture into the paint systems, normally doesn`t leave the "spots".

No need to dilute, actually. Just soak the area down, can be 70% or 90%, just get it on so it can penetrate, let it sit and then use the heat, about 6 to 8 inches, from the surface, in the slow oscillating motions.

IPA works as a drying agent and pulls the water out of the paint.

Does the alcohol damage the paint or clearcoat? I don`t want Nissan trying to blame damage on me if I make a warranty claim.

Ron Ketcham
03-12-2013, 01:38 PM
It will not damage the clearcoat. This method has been used by Nissan, Kia, Hyundia, Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, etc at their port operations for years.

It`s main use at the ports is for when any rap-gard is removed and moisture has gotten under it, clouded the clear.

Before I showed them this simple and effective method, they were refinishing the panels.

Just don`t get it "hot", like above 105F.

Plus, a 2010 is now two years out of paint warranty.

CosmosMpower
03-12-2013, 03:16 PM
It will not damage the clearcoat. This method has been used by Nissan, Kia, Hyundia, Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, etc at their port operations for years.

It`s main use at the ports is for when any rap-gard is removed and moisture has gotten under it, clouded the clear.

Before I showed them this simple and effective method, they were refinishing the panels.

Just don`t get it "hot", like above 105F.

Plus, a 2010 is now two years out of paint warranty.

Thanks I`ll give the alcohol and blow dryer a shot tonight. My car actually has a 3 year 36 month paint warranty and it was an inservice date of Oct 2010 so it`s still within warranty. I already confirmed with my service advisor. I`m going to see how it looks after being in the sun all day and try the alcohol tip first.

Ron Ketcham
03-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Granted, I am a bit out of touch since retiring in 08, however, that is a bit different paint warranty than I can ever recall.

Is that what your owner`s manual states or did the vehicle come with an after market paint sealant warranty in the purchase?

CosmosMpower
03-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Granted, I am a bit out of touch since retiring in 08, however, that is a bit different paint warranty than I can ever recall.

Is that what your owner`s manual states or did the vehicle come with an after market paint sealant warranty in the purchase?

That`s how the warranty is stated, no aftermarket coverage. They better cover it for more than a year on a 100K car.