PDA

View Full Version : black spray wax and detailers

Pages : [1] 2

shaunls1
03-08-2013, 05:29 PM
hey guys i have a saphire black bmw 335i coupe and i have been useing

the bf wet diamond lsp and the clear seal but im wondering about the black

spray wax and detailers thst seemed to all come out recently like the surf city and megs.

will these hide the metallic in my cars paint and are the really any better that regular detail sprays and

spray waxes im useing the surf city detail spray now and its a decent ds.

Dan
03-08-2013, 07:36 PM
I`m a total detail spray and spray wax junkie. You aren`t going to find anything better than OCW. Megs Ultimate Qwik wax is probably the best OTC stuff. Neither really mute flakes. Both do a decent job of filling in micromarring.

RobD
03-08-2013, 08:45 PM
I`m a total detail spray and spray wax junkie. You aren`t going to find anything better than OCW. Megs Ultimate Qwik wax is probably the best OTC stuff. Neither really mute flakes. Both do a decent job of filling in micromarring.

+1 Both great products.

Scottwax
03-08-2013, 11:45 PM
OCW rocks on metallic black.

rdorman
03-09-2013, 12:16 PM
OCW! Use it practically ever time as a drying aid/booster

togwt
03-09-2013, 01:03 PM
hey guys i have a saphire black bmw 335i coupe and i have been useing

the bf wet diamond lsp and the clear seal but im wondering about the black

spray wax and detailers thst seemed to all come out recently like the surf city and megs.

will these hide the metallic in my cars paint and are the really any better that regular detail sprays and

spray waxes im useing the surf city detail spray now and its a decent ds.

The clear coat is the final original equipment manufacturers coating applied to a vehicle to protect the (base) colour coat from environmental damage, while providing both depth and a durable, glossy appearance, originally designed to protect and enhance metallic paints, but is now applied to all colours.

Claims that certain waxes are formulated and / or manufactured for specific paint types, paint colours or made specifically for a certain vehicle marquee or that they are matched to particular characteristics of individual paint systems has absolutely no factual chemical basis, it’s merely marketing hype. Any product applied on top of the clear coat needs to be transparent otherwise both the paint colour and its depth of shine will be muted.

Dan
03-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Claims that certain waxes are formulated and / or manufactured for specific paint types, paint colours or made specifically for a certain vehicle marquee or that they are matched to particular characteristics of individual paint systems has absolutely no factual chemical basis, it’s merely marketing hype. Any product applied on top of the clear coat needs to be transparent otherwise both the paint colour and its depth of shine will be muted.

Your theory is sound, but in reality, less transparent products make certain colors look better. Perfectly clear sealants don`t look that great on black unless you like that mirror look. A rich carnauba is less than transparent, yet makes the finish look blacker than black.

wannafbody
03-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Carnauba is yellow in color IIRC

togwt
03-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Your theory is sound, but in reality, less transparent products make certain colors look better. Perfectly clear sealants don`t look that great on black unless you like that mirror look. A rich carnauba is less than transparent, yet makes the finish look blacker than black.

Wax can be thought of as semi-solid until the solvent carrier components outgas (evaporate) these wax molecules form an egg-grate type mesh over the smaller paint molecules of the paint film surface, which gives it an optical depth. Due to this shape the reflected light becomes somewhat distorted (refraction) sometimes described as jetting (the so-called wet-look) It is a property that creates a super rich shine with incredible depth and the illusion of wetness on the surface, the better the quality and volume of refined wax the more pronounced the effect of jetting.

2005GTPinMD
03-10-2013, 01:06 PM
OCW! Use it practically ever time as a drying aid/booster

OCW rocks - any problems with streaking when using it as a drying aid/booster? I am tempted to start doing that myself.

Dan
03-10-2013, 06:01 PM
OCW rocks - any problems with streaking when using it as a drying aid/booster? I am tempted to start doing that myself.

You`ll have much less of a chance of streaking when using it as a drying aid. The only way you get streaking is if you use way too much. And then you can cut it with water.

David Fermani
03-10-2013, 06:10 PM
You`ll have much less of a chance of streaking when using it as a drying aid. The only way you get streaking is if you use way too much. And then you can cut it with water.

.....or apply when the car is still wet........ :)

DrG
03-22-2013, 07:44 AM
I have the same paint and I always reach for OCW.

Accumulator
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Both [OCW and UQW] do a decent job of filling in micromarring.

Either one of those superior in that regard?

Dan
03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Either one of those superior in that regard?

Seems to vary by color. UQW might have the edge, slightly.