PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Protection: Poorboys, Opti-Seal, other?

Pages : [1] 2

SF Space Grey
03-04-2013, 03:30 AM
Hi everyone,

I have an `09 bmw with factory clear-coated 5-spoke wheels. As with all bmws, I get a lot of dust from the stock pads. After weekly/monthly ONR washes, I`ve been using poorboy`s wheel sealant. It`s hard to tell, but I trust it`s doing its job. I`m thinking of switching to opti-seal for its much easier application. Any reason to stick with poorboys or use a different product altogether? One potential advantage of poorboys is that it seems to do a good job of cleaning any final brake dust I missed, but that`s not a huge deal. Thoughts?

By the way, I`ve heard people rave about the great effect that opti-coat can have on wheels. I`ll think about that option, but assuming I don`t want to pay someone to fully clean and opti-coat my wheels, I want to make sure I`m doing my best to protect the clear coat against premature failure between washes. Am I right that having a pro fully clean and opti-coat my wheels would run me roughly $200-300? I think it would require taking the wheels off to clean and treat the barrels.

pwaug
03-04-2013, 07:39 AM
I use DG 105 on my wheels since it is a very durable sealant. I cut a foam pad in half horizontally and glued it to a paint mixing stick--this allows me to also treat the barrels without removing the wheels. So wheel cleaning is very easy--just use regular car wash mix -- no need for wheel cleaner.

Dan
03-04-2013, 10:52 AM
As you`ve noticed, PB`s wheel sealant is an excellent cleaner. Its not that great of a sealant at all, but it makes wheels look great which is why I continue to use it. Optiseal is going to end up sealing in that dust that you miss. The mentioned DG105 is good, but DG501 is even better on wheels.

SF Space Grey
03-05-2013, 12:35 AM
As you`ve noticed, PB`s wheel sealant is an excellent cleaner. Its not that great of a sealant at all, but it makes wheels look great which is why I continue to use it. Optiseal is going to end up sealing in that dust that you miss. The mentioned DG105 is good, but DG501 is even better on wheels.

Thanks for the advice guys. If I spend a little extra time making sure the wheels are fully clean first, will opti-seal do a good enough job enhancing gloss and protecting for a month or so of driving? I`m really tempted by the ease of application and don`t want to have too many products in the arsenal.

The DG products do sound good though. Dan, if DG is a good cleaner and a durable sealant, why keep using PB? Does PB really make the wheels look noticeably better than DG?

Guitarist302008
03-05-2013, 02:12 AM
I have used opti-seal on wheels before, it didn`t seem to last very long though. I am a big fan of DG105 as mentioned above. FK1000 is also a good choice because of it`s higher temp resistance.

Guitarist302008
03-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Then again you could use opti-coat on it too, which would also protect the wheels much better overall.

Perfections
03-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Opti coat them if you want something long term :)

Dan
03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. If I spend a little extra time making sure the wheels are fully clean first, will opti-seal do a good enough job enhancing gloss and protecting for a month or so of driving? I`m really tempted by the ease of application and don`t want to have too many products in the arsenal.

The DG products do sound good though. Dan, if DG is a good cleaner and a durable sealant, why keep using PB? Does PB really make the wheels look noticeably better than DG?

The question is will you spend more time prepping your wheels for Optiseal than you would using the PB Wheel sealant?

As to why keep using the PB stuff? Good question, I like the smell? Seriously, I`m not sure I`d buy the stuff again. It is easy to use but DG501 is better in every which way except smell.

Accumulator
03-05-2013, 12:30 PM
SF Space Grey- Eh, I`d just clean `em up well and OptiCoat them yourself. If you want to make it easy just do the faces, you`ll still be ahead compared to using a conventional LSP.

I OptiCoated the 12-year-old wheels on my beater Crown Vic, and it`s not like the previous owner kept them all that nice (by a long shot!). Opticoating doesn`t *have* to be much more involved than using any other (conventional) LSP; just clean them up as best you can, strip off any oils/whatever to achieve a "bare" surface, and apply the product.

Kean
03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
FK1000P has always been a good choice for me in this sort of application but for the same reasons I found it works well as an LSP on the rest of the vehicle. ….its durability and ability to shed contamination with relative ease. The only issue (for me) is that it can be a bit of a bear on wheels with more intricate surfaces, nooks & crannies, etc. On a basic, large 5 spoke like my Challenger, it’s a piece of cake to apply/remove. ….on wheels like Enkei RPF1’s that were on my last car, I find it’s more difficult to remove the product completely. This is where Opti-Seal became a better option for me in those cases. After a thorough cleaning I use my airbrush and spray the product on. …..doesn’t get much easier IMO. Even if the longevity isn’t there, it doesn’t take much of my time to shoot the wheels every now and again. Beyond application however, I still prefer the performance characteristics of the FK.

Having said that, ever since I bought my syringe of Opti-Coat, I have been using the product on more applications (even some types of trim). The next chance I get to really spend more time to remove the wheels off of my car and clean the backsides of the spokes, I will be applying OC to them. It’s currently on the majority of the wife’s car and has been working quite well.

Scottwax
03-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Is switching to a ceramic brake pad an option? They should be available by now for an `09 BMW. That alone would make a huge difference.

SF Space Grey
03-05-2013, 11:38 PM
I probably will end up going with either (or both) ceramic pads or opti-coat eventually. Either way, just to protect my wheels from wear, I`ll probably take the advice to use DG501, say, every three months or so, unless anyone thinks it`s too aggressive for regular use on wheels in good shape.

Is there any chance 501 or 105 can withstand some light brushing with a daytona brush during an ONR wash?

Guitarist302008
03-06-2013, 12:05 AM
I probably will end up going with either (or both) ceramic pads or opti-coat eventually. Either way, just to protect my wheels from wear, I`ll probably take the advice to use DG501, say, every three months or so, unless anyone thinks it`s too aggressive for regular use on wheels in good shape.

Is there any chance 501 or 105 can withstand some light brushing with a daytona brush during an ONR wash?

ONR is supposed to be quite mild as far as removing any LSP`s and IIRC it actually can add to gloss and add some slickness. DG products are some of the most durable out there and especially for the money they are excellent IMO. I wouldn`t worry about it removing any product. OC will help any brake dust blast off with some pressure, but there is always brown royal or some other type of wheel cleaner that will help as well. A customer who`s CTS I did a while back ordered some (he tracks his car a lot and has very aggressive brake pads) bought some and mixes it 50/50 and I have yet to see any brake dust on his wheels since I detailed the car. He does keep it very clean though.

pwaug
03-06-2013, 07:57 AM
I get 4-5 months out of DG105 on my wheels when just doing regular or ONR washes. Dirt and brake dust come off easily, but if you use an APC or wheel cleaner you`ll most likely have to redo the 105.

Dan
03-06-2013, 08:08 AM

Light brushing should be no issue with either.