PDA

View Full Version : Most efficient way to rinse car

yas
02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi

i have a mobility problems from knee injuries, to wash car i`ll use a rolling stool to move around and waterless wash (e.g. ONR). occasionally will need to stand to reach some areas

i find waterless wash is good, but sometimes cleaning power isn`t quite enough and takes about 1/2 hour or so, which isn`t too bad. also standing up, reaching bucket, etc. even occasionally is difficult

curious about CR spotless system. problem is my driveway is not flat and i wash car inside my garage . wondering if there is some efficient way to rinse the car with low flow / pressure, i`ve seen the touchless washes use very little water in the final rinse, but have a machine that rinses the car from the top in a sweeping motion. using a hose with typical sprayer probably won`t work for me.

i was thinking about getting a long handled / broom handled boars hair brush, and soaping up the car, and then rinsing with a system like CR spotless ... that would really make things easier, i don`t think i would need to stand, with the reach that the broom handle provides, and i have a three car garage space w/ enough room to get around the vehicle.

the rinsing is the problem i guess ... is there some apparatus, like a `wand` or something like a sprinkler attachment that could work well for rinsing ... i was envisioning something like a long wand that could hold over the paint surface and rinse, maybe with a trigger like a typical water nozzle has

thanks

togwt
02-27-2013, 02:34 PM
This post may provide you with some ideas - Disabled Detailing - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=122850&highlight=disabled)

See also TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki – "Detailing for the Physically Challenged" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136534-detailing-physically-challenged.html

Nth Degree
02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
This is, hands down, the most efficient way to rinse: How to wash a car with one bucket of water - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5EuuHR9yiQ)

I have one of these (https://www.buywaterjet.com/) and use often for low pressure purposes. I bought it at a show for $15. Don`t believe the claims that it can replace a pressure washer, but it has it`s uses. I use it mostly for engine bays where high pressure is a bad idea and for filling buckets (fits perfectly into the round hole of the Grit Guard to hold it in place so I can do something else rather than holding a hose). I have seen it at Target. You could also check Home Depot or Lowe`s in the garden section. There are a lot of different hose attachments for gardening that would work for you.

jmsc
02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
What`s your lsp of choice?

A wax, wax hybrid, sealant, coating?

It will make a difference in longevity, self-cleaning characteristics and ease of maintenance going forward.

dfoxengr
02-28-2013, 10:51 AM
This is, hands down, the most efficient way to rinse: How to wash a car with one bucket of water - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5EuuHR9yiQ)

I have one of these (https://www.buywaterjet.com/) and use often for low pressure purposes. I bought it at a show for $15. Don`t believe the claims that it can replace a pressure washer, but it has it`s uses. I use it mostly for engine bays where high pressure is a bad idea and for filling buckets (fits perfectly into the round hole of the Grit Guard to hold it in place so I can do something else rather than holding a hose). I have seen it at Target. You could also check Home Depot or Lowe`s in the garden section. There are a lot of different hose attachments for gardening that would work for you.

I saw that sprayer at walmart the other day. Not really sure if i`d ever use it tho since I have pressure washer and steamer for engine. what do you think?

Nth Degree
02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I saw that sprayer at walmart the other day. Not really sure if i`d ever use it tho since I have pressure washer and steamer for engine. what do you think?

By no means is it an essential tool. I figured I`d give it a shot. I could use another sprayer nozzle for many of the same purposes, but since I have it, I use it. Particularly for washing when I don`t want to drag out the PW for a car that really doesn`t need it. The length makes it easy to get to harder to reach areas and since I can control the flow I also use it for door jams near the hinges without worry of getting overspray into the car.

yas
04-18-2013, 10:53 AM
This post may provide you with some ideas - Disabled Detailing - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=122850&highlight=disabled)

See also TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki – "Detailing for the Physically Challenged" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136534-detailing-physically-challenged.html

This is an interesting thread, a lot of discussion on products that can help release dirt easier and make the regular washes easier.

I hope to also share some techniques I have found useful, although this is really a learning process for me and I think generally the audience here is far more experienced in detailing than I am. Also, at the moment I`m more focused on just basic maintenance of my daily driver, although I am thinking about doing better than that if I can find a way

Furthermore, disabilities are so broad ranging, so what works for me might not be any help for someone facing different challenges

My particular problem is I`m unable to put much weight on my left leg, and possibility (although somewhat remote now it is healing) of fracturing with sudden load put on it. Otherwise I`m fine, occasional back pain but my upper body is ok, in fact I usually use my arms to get up and down , or shift myself over/around places

I need to give a little disclaimer here, this is mostly just my opinions, please do your own due diligence and check with a Doctor or qualified professional , especially if you have any doubts. Also make sure your work environment is safe

Anyways, to start, here are a few things I use, and I hope to add a lot more detail in the coming months.

--- Washing

Boars hair brush with telescoping handle (e.g. Montana Original 10 inch Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brush & Telescopic Handle (http://www.autogeek.net/bohabrteha1.html))

I find this the most useful wash tool. I can sit in my rolling stool and simply reach over and wash. I didn`t want to focus too much on specific brands, but I think I need to highlight the Optimum products, they make things so much easier - a quote from Chris@optimum copied from ONR: The Definitive Thread (http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/113318-onr-definitive-thread.html)

However, with soap there is no interaction with dirt. This is why adding No Rinse to a regular wash also helps protect the paint from dirt particles.

The No Rinse polymers also bond to all automotive surfaces and create a slick surface and act as a barrier to protect paint from marring. That is something that soap will not provide since surfactants in soaps have no affinity for painted or other automotive surfaces.

So, if you are concerned about marring with the BHB adding a little No Rinse might work for you. My experience is the bristles themselves don`t cause marring, letting the brush soak for 5 minutes or so works very well for me.

For other areas, sitting in my stool and using various BHB brushes, sponges, or tire brushes is ok for me, no problem with reaching them while sitting. The telescoping brush is really useful for hood, roof, trunk

--- Wax

I can`t get up and down easily, so I checked with Optimum directly about adding their wax into Car wash. I have Griots Car wash on hand, and mentioned that in my e-mail. This is the response:

Thank you for your interest in Optimum products. You can add 2 ounces of Spray Wax to your wash bucket to get added protection and shine.

I have either done Soap + no rinse or Soap + wax. I haven`t tried all three together yet. I might do that and see how it goes

The wax + soap definitely made a difference for me. Although, I felt that 2 ounces was a lot of product. I use 1 ounce Griots + 1 ounce OCW in 2 gallons water. Worked ok for me.

So this doesn`t probably make up for really doing a proper coat of wax, but I got very good beading after this (had a few rainfalls) and the surface was pretty slick.

--- Drying

This has been a serious pain for me. I ordered a CR spotless about 6 weeks ago, and not to complain because CR spotless people are pretty good IMHO ... just had a heck of a time with damaged item at first, and shipping delays getting it to Canada. I`m still waiting for it to arrive.

For the time being, I blot up moisture with a waffle weave, and then use smaller towels to do the rest. I`ve had a little help from a friend to take care of other areas after I tried myself and seriously fatigued my leg.

But, it did get me thinking and as an interim solution I am trying to construct a device to dry -- think of a paint roller (but long handle, and bigger roll) with the roll wrapped with a PVA towel (like "the absorber"). I`ve played around with this a bit and it sort of works, more testing to do. Just roll it on the paint and it picks up moisture

The nice thing is it can`t really scratch the paint, if your careful with the handle that is, because you are rolling over the surface and not dragging on it

--

So the above are just some ideas for a basic wash. I`m still trying to figure out how I might be able to polish the vehicle, tape of areas, etc. It may be I need a professional to do it, but I`m still thinking of ideas and will update here later.

A couple of other things I haven`t tried yet but plan on:

- getting a pesticide sprayer, possibly a larger `backpack` style one and fill with water for rinsing. At the moment I use the hose and its pretty difficult as it always gets tangled up around the stool.

- a detailing cart .. I seriously need to invest in one , for now I have a large storage bin I just shift around.

Thanks for reading!