PDA

View Full Version : What needs covering in my engine?

Pages : [1] 2

Mr Champagne
02-25-2013, 07:23 PM
I have an 09 Accord Coupe EX-L V6, which parts of the engine do I need to cover when detailing to avoid messing anything up?

http://www.jbcarpages.com/honda/accord/2009/pictures/images/2009_honda_accord_picture%20(58).jpg

Thanks!

Richard Grasa
02-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Are you planning on hosing it down or doing it by hand? Is that your car in the pic? Looking at the pic, doesn`t look like it needs to be hosed down at all, looks quite good already. I always like to spray my cleaners/dressings on my towel when working around the electronics as to not get them wet. Just be careful of not soaking anything electronic or the wiring harness connections and you should be fine.

As for hosing/pressure washing an engine, I personally won`t do it. I`ve seen people do it, with things covered up and hit the wrong spot and the car won`t start. It may just need to dry out, but worst case there`s expensive electronic damage. If you need to hose it down, cover all electronics, the air inlet and stay away from wire harness connections.

togwt
02-26-2013, 05:01 AM
Many vehicle owners wonder if washing an engine bay is a necessity due to the inherent risk involved. We have all heard the tales of damage caused by engine washing. The fact is that modern engines are made to be water resistant, weather-tight connectors, distributor-less ignitions and newer gasket technology, the water sensitive devices are well protected and will easily resist frequent washing; however care should be taken when using a pressure washer or hose.

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki – http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/136609-engine-bay-detailing.html#post1448628

If you have any questions about this article or the techniques used, please let me know or feel free to send me a PM

Jean-Claude
02-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Don`t clean it while hot and spray/get cold water on hot plugs. They will break.

imported_Scrace
02-26-2013, 01:01 PM
I would cover the alternator and any electrical connections/sensors. If it looks like it shouldn`t have water on it, cover it. Better to be safe than sorry.

It`s a closed system, so really its about not introducing water to sensitive electronics.

rdorman
02-26-2013, 03:11 PM
On modern engine bays, I don`t cover anything!

Dan
02-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Modern cars are designed to deal with water under the hood, problem is as they age, the water protection diminishes. Gaskets and o-rings shrink, plastic and glue cracks, etc. On newer cars a hose with moderate pressure is fine. Anything older than 10 years old, start covering or using ONR.

Jpostal
02-26-2013, 07:51 PM
I usually cover the alternator...probably not necessary but I always have. I have only ever had one car not start after hosing down engine and it was an older VW with distributor. I got it a little wet and then flooded the car trying to start it! The next morning it fired up first try. Sometimes you will get a little belt squeal for a day or two after cleaning too.

tom p.
02-26-2013, 09:07 PM
I like a pressure washer on low pressure. It uses FAR less water than a traditional hose.

FWIW, you might be able to use ONR and be done with it. That`s by far the safest unless you`ve got some big mess on your hands, Champagne, which doesn`t appear to be the case.

Welcome aboard !!

Accumulator
02-27-2013, 03:19 PM
FWIW, you might be able to use ONR and be done with it. That`s by far the safest unless you`ve got some big mess on your hands...

Similarly, even if there *is* a big mess, you can use a solvent to clean stuff up without getting everything wet. Another reason to keep some ValuGard New Car Prep, 3M Adhesive Remover, Würth CleanSolve, etc. etc. on the shelf.

IF you have a steamer, it oughta leave things a lot dryer than "regular water" too.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia Mr. Champagne!

Brad B
02-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Similarly, even if there *is* a big mess, you can use a solvent to clean stuff up without getting everything wet. Another reason to keep some ValuGard New Car Prep, 3M Adhesive Remover, Würth CleanSolve, etc. etc. on the shelf.

Agree. This is the route I take. Much more controllable and does a way better job and lasts longer. Acrysol is my solvent of choice. I get it in quart cans at the local Porsche Audi dealer. One of the cheapest things they sell! A can lasts a LONG time.

Ron Ketcham
02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
I usually cover the alternator...probably not necessary but I always have. I have only ever had one car not start after hosing down engine and it was an older VW with distributor. I got it a little wet and then flooded the car trying to start it! The next morning it fired up first try. Sometimes you will get a little belt squeal for a day or two after cleaning too.

If the belt squeaks, just rub a little of a bar of soap on the contact area of the belt.

I have been laughing my old butt off on most of this thread and here is why.

For a few decades I did training for recon at auto auctions, at new car prep centers for Ford and Chrysler, worked with most car companies port operations around the world, the old company had vehicle processing centers where we did as many as 12,000 new cars a year and 3000+ used recons.

Developed an "engine" cleaning process even a monkey could do, using pressure washers, etc, and that started in the late 80`s.

I have spent many, many hours in the prototype build areas of GM, Ford, Chrysler, at their proving grounds, worked with their many different body, chassis, drive train engineers.

Since the early 90`s, these vehicles are subjected to very intensive testing for "water exposure" to the engine compartment and all that is there.

Too the point that they take several vehicles, remove the hood and put them through their water test tunnels, leave them set outside in driving rain storms, with no hood to protect them.

Drive them at 80 mph, with no hood through standing water, time after time.

They use pressure washers with PSI up to 1600 PSI and blast the engine compartment, just to make sure that the vehicles made today can withstand much more than what they will normally be exposed to in their life span.

The only "caution" that ever came out of these extenstive tests was this.

Never use "hot water", as it may cause the plastic protective covers of electronics to expand and allow some minor moisture inside.

Never directly "blast" water at over 1000 PSI into any alternators or such.

Keep the nozzle end of the pressure washer at least 6 inches away from any part.

That`s about it.

A garden hose will not create a concern on any modern vehicle.

Even with a hose nozzle on it.

I own two older vehicles, and they are not equiped with the modern electronics, yet I wash the engines twice a year, with a pressure washer and a water based degreaser, have not lost any electronics, however I did get careless around the old distributor cap on the Beast and had to use some contact cleaner to chase away the moisture, it started just fine once that was done.

So, do what you feel is best, just remember, they have worked hard so they can put these 60,000-100,000 mile warranties on their vehicles, and of course they all chase the J.D.Power`s ratings for them.

mikemurphy234
02-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Many vehicle owners wonder if washing an engine bay is a necessity due to the inherent risk involved. We have all heard the tales of damage caused by engine washing. The fact is that modern engines are made to be water resistant, weather-tight connectors, distributor-less ignitions and newer gasket technology, the water sensitive devices are well protected and will easily resist frequent washing; however care should be taken when using a pressure washer or hose.

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki – http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/136609-engine-bay-detailing.html#post1448628

If you have any questions about this article or the techniques used, please let me know or feel free to send me a PM

Agreed!!! I always ask people what parts of their motor do they cover up when they see a water puddle ahead that their about to drive thru?

Accumulator
02-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Regulars here know that I`m not afraid to get my engine compartments wet...like, at every wash. But note that there are a *few* that oughta stay dry, at least with regard to certain components. The distributors in my `90s vintage Caprices were not water-tolerant, and the coil-on-plug ignitions of my current Crown Vics aren`t either. My Audi V8s are OK, but later model ones are not (supposedly in a big way). It does pay to know/specify the vehicle in question before jumping to conclusions ;)

Ron Ketcham
02-28-2013, 01:19 PM
You got an aerosol of the ValuGard rust inhibitor?

Just lightly mist the coil on plug wires at the connectors,wait 10 minutes and that little problem is solved.

Works on all electrical connectors.

On the Caprice, spray some on a small artist brush, remove the cap and coat the inside edge with the product, then after you replace the cap, do the same around the receptacles for the wires going in, problem solved.