PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars M101 Side-by-Side Test and Video

ihaveacamaro
02-23-2013, 07:12 PM
So, if anyone follows my threads, you will know that I became a huge fan of M101 after using it.

Well I had a Dodge Viper detail recently and it came back for the rest of its detail so I thought I would try it out on that as well... and it was amazing!

So amazing in fact, that I thought I would make a video showing just how GREAT this stuff is cutting through the worst swirls and leaving a very acceptable finish in one step!

Video in link below. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KkEV5DimNY&feature=youtu.be

M101 Video Review Side-By-Side Test - YouTube (http://youtu.be/_KkEV5DimNY)

P.S. If you can`t see the swirls at the end, watch the video in HIGH DEFINITION and FULLSCREEN.

David Fermani
02-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Nice review! M101 is a great product for sure. Especially on soft Viper paint. Looks like it had a classic case of buffer swirls from the factory? What did you final polish with??

Also, I edited your post to embed your video. In the future, just hit the "insert video" icon and paste your link in the box that pops up.

Jean-Claude
02-23-2013, 08:07 PM
You do well communicating and have a pleasant tone in your video. Very nice.

ihaveacamaro
02-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Nice review! M101 is a great product for sure. Especially on soft Viper paint. Looks like it had a classic case of buffer swirls from the factory? What did you final polish with??

Also, I edited your post to embed your video. In the future, just hit the "insert video" icon and paste your link in the box that pops up.

Thanks for watching David!

I actually did 1 step the entire car with M101.

After M101 on entire car, I tried a few different finishing polishes and different pad combinations:

1) Optimum Hyper Polish with yellow, orange and white LC flat.

2) Menzerna 4500 with yellow, orange and white LC flat.

3) A couple all in ones also.

I noticed literally no difference in the paint and no reduction in the remaining scratches in my test spots with those after the M101.

As this was for a friend`s daily driver and not making me any money, we were both content.

I`m not doubting you in any way David (your comment about soft Viper paint), but this paint was hard hard hard. It was very hard to correct. The paint laughed at most compounds and pad combos I threw at it.... at least until I brought the big guns aka M101.

As for the youtube thing, I actually do that on purpose ;) It takes a lot of time to make these videos and I`m trying to build my channel so when people get sent to youtube, they will possibly watch more of my videos and/or subscribe to my channel :hat:

ihaveacamaro
02-23-2013, 08:15 PM
You do well communicating and have a pleasant tone in your video. Very nice.

Thank you sir, appreciate the compliments :)

imported_WCD
02-23-2013, 11:29 PM
This would be very helpful to many detailers...someone create a chart showing normal hardness of paints by manufacturer. :) This would help many to more quickly get a combo that works without too much trial and error. If I took 101 to my black BMW, it would be hours more of getting that marring out. :)

ihaveacamaro
02-23-2013, 11:57 PM
This would be very helpful to many detailers...someone create a chart showing normal hardness of paints by manufacturer. :) This would help many to more quickly get a combo that works without too much trial and error. If I took 101 to my black BMW, it would be hours more of getting that marring out. :)

The problem is that there`s so many variables. I believe I read a post by Ron Ketcham that explains it in more detail than I remember, but basically every car has not only a paint code, but same colored cars of same year can have paint applied in different methods. Not to mention that each color of each model year can be different hardness. Now think about all the manufacturers out there with all their models with all their colors... and that`s only for that year. Each year, things change.

Best thing to do is a test spot. If you had marring, you can just polish out that little section and you`ll know if you need that original product or not :)

chrisguga
03-02-2013, 02:23 PM
I also enjoy your videos and will be sure to subscribe.

I`m a huge fan of M101 and it`s my favorite compound. I`m trying to talk a coworker into selling her 38k mile red and white `02 Viper GTS to me so I`ll be curious to see if that one has soft or hard paint. Yes, *her* and she has been daily driving it for about a year rain or shine. Pretty cool, imo.