PDA

View Full Version : Best Sealent/Wax for Imperfect Clear Coat

bradesp
02-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Guys,

I have just had my dark green 2000` metallic Miata repainted... the result from 10 feet looks awesome, but up close the hood and trunk lid have numerous imperfections... We have wet-sanded and buffed, but sadly there`s no way to completely remove the clear coat issues without repainting these panels.

The clear coat issues are related to solvent pop.. essentially a few areas where there are microscopic, pin sized "craters" in the clear coach and a touch of haziness in the finish. Again, to a very casual observer it`s looks very shiny.

So, my question is this... are there sealant or wax products that might help help my surface look better cosmetically then it does right now?

Dan
02-23-2013, 11:53 AM
I`d go with a wax that has a lot of "glow" Not the best on metallic as it will mute the flakes but it will also hides the paint issues. What is your budget and are you looking OTC or willing to order?

Accumulator
02-23-2013, 01:48 PM
bradesp- Welcome to Autopia!

I have a dark blue car with *highly* imperfect paint. Really needs repainted..and/but I`m extremely particular about my vehicles looking great.

So...I use a "does some concealing" penultimate product, sorta like a glaze step (I use 1Z Wax Polish Soft for this) and then wax with Collinite. I go back and forth between their 845 Insulator Wax and their 476 paste, and usually use some combination of the two.

The 845 is less likely to leave "white residue" in deeper imperfections so it`s great for the first application, while the 476S gives more of that "glow as opposed to ultra-high gloss shine" look that Dan was referring to. Doesn`t mute the flake as much as one might expect (especially not the 845). Using the two waxes does layer OK; they don`t strip the preceding coat (at least not if you wait a while between applications).

I usually do one coat of 845. Wait a day or so, or until the next wash, and then do a coat of 476S. After that I`ll add a coat of whichever I want (sometimes I want one appearance, other times I want a different one) every other month or so, applying before it`s really necessary to stay ahead of the curve.

Noting again that this car really needs repainted (scratches, chips, clearcoat failure...you name it), it looks so good that the dealer called to find out what I was using on it "other customers keep asking what you use, they want their new Audis to look that good...".

Those two waxes give slightly different looks and other appearance effects. Both are inexpensive, user-friendly, *extremely* durable, easy to wash (release dirt well), and they protect well against stuff like bird-bombs and bug etching.

So I`d find something to use as a glaze, and pick up both those Collinite waxes. See how that approach works and which of the waxes (or what combo of the two) you like.

raybay30
03-27-2013, 09:22 PM
This is the method I use to create an array of reflections and jetting on less than perfect paint that seems to conceal imperfections by giving an illusion of high gloss:

- Wash and prep the best you can (to start with a clean foundation)

- Apply Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish Gloss Magnifier (will amplify reflectivity)

- Apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (richness and more reflectivity)

- Top with Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax or Pinnacle (wet look and depth)

The results are pretty stunning if ya ask me