PDA

View Full Version : Automotive plastic repair, possible?

edmund_o
02-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Most cars these days are loaded with plastic material from the bumpers, trims, dash, door latches, etc. To my limited knowledge, I think of plastic damage in two forms: mechanical damage and deterioration due to the environment. Mechanical damage includes scratches/RIDS, abrasion, puncture, fracturing. Environmental damage results in flaking, etc and usually to the top surface due to UV damage, extreme temperatures, etc. Apart from damage, I understand there are many types of plastics/polymer out there too and would carry a resin identification code.

Resin identification code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code)

Also read there are two types of polymers/plastics and are categorized as thermoset or thermoplastic. Each have their own characteristics and forming. Therefore requiring different approach in handling and repair techniques. Then comes the surface feature, smooth, matt, glossy, textured, colored plastics...

Seen company websites on the net selling kits, special plastic resins, epoxy, materials for repairing all sorts of damage plastics. Then there are plenty of YouTube videos out there on how to fix a faded plastic bumper with a hot air blower/heat gun. There are also coatings out there which lay claims on the ability to restore the looks of weathered plastic trims.

Somebody enlighten me. How about plastic restoration/correction? BTW I`m just curious...