PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Suggs Custom Auto Trim & molding repair "Textured & Smooth"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Jeff Suggs
02-13-2013, 01:18 AM
This is my custom auto door trim & wiper arm restoration package. This gives these parts a custom look without repainting or replacing anything and greatly extends their life span. This cannot be done with a foam pad, you have to use a wool pad. You can use the polish of your choice to do this, no compounds can be used in this process. You first take a micro towel and polish the parts by hand to help brake thru the first layer of the piece. Be very careful when you are buffing the door trim or you will burn it. If done correctly you will actually change the texture of these parts from flat and dry to smooth and shiny. Simply wax these parts like the rest of the vehicle and they will look as good as the day you polished them. I have done over 500 hundred of these packages all over the United States when managing paint overspray removal projects. Great way to give your customers something they can`t get just anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X57Kglg_nE&list=UU8Prq7nXwUSPraFX6jd5Hdw&index=3

Jeff Suggs
02-13-2013, 01:24 AM
This video demonstrates how I restore textured molding pieces, in this case the cowl panel for the wiper blades. I use a wool pad for this because a foam pad will burn trim & molding pieces. After I have finished this process, you do not have to put dressing on it because it is back to factory conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl89lEjlghg&list=UU8Prq7nXwUSPraFX6jd5Hdw&index=6

Jeff Suggs
02-13-2013, 01:27 AM
This video demonstrates how I restore auto trim & molding pieces from paint overspray damage and sun damage. I also demonstrate one of my custom window trim packages for Chevy & GMC vehicles. The work seen in this video has never been duplicated by another company or individual. I use a buffer to polish auto trim & moldings pieces, cowl panels & wiper arms, textured mirrors, door handles, and more. I polish them back to factory conditions or better in some cases. After these parts have been restored, you can then apply whatever dressing of your choice. I use a Sony HD camera and the footage is filmed very close to prove the polishing method works without damaging the textured surfaces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MVUt4XE9_i8#!

Jeff Suggs
02-13-2013, 01:29 AM
The normal cleaning methods are useless when it comes to removing Protective Marine Coating paint products from auto paint and glass. I am using a single edged carbon tipped razor blade. When you are shaving the overspray off the glass, make sure you pick up the razor blade on ever stroke. Make sure to put some wax of your choice on the glass and use a new razor blade, this will help not to scratch the glass Do not try this if you don`t know what your doing, you can easily scratch the paint and glass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IoFg9ca5_c&list=UU8Prq7nXwUSPraFX6jd5Hdw&index=18

jose206
02-13-2013, 01:47 AM
Thats pretty impressive. Is there any long term damage that would cause on the trim pieces? Would they come back even worse after some time?

C. Charles Hahn
02-13-2013, 02:38 AM
Thats pretty impressive. Is there any long term damage that would cause on the trim pieces? Would they come back even worse after some time?

I`ll go ahead and answer this: YES, it is causing damage to the parts. By doing any sort of procedure to alter the surface texture or as Jeff puts it "brake (sic) thru the first layer of the piece" you are compromising the UV inhibitors that are impregnated in the part during manufacturing, and as there is no UV protection being re-applied the parts will eventually show signs of damage and premature failure. Essentially the procedure demonstrated here IS burning the trim, albeit in a semi-controlled and deliberate manner.

RaskyR1
02-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Wait until the oils in BC-2 wear off.

For the record, we did this to trim back in the early 90`s when I worked for a high volume shop. Today I tape delicate trim off because I don`t want to alter its intended look and I actually care about what happens to the car after it leaves my shop.

maxepr1
02-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Here we go again!

Ron Ketcham
02-13-2013, 01:24 PM
In less than half the time he takes, he could have used the ETR kit and the trim would be good for 4 to 5 years!

So simple to use even Jeff Scuggs could do it.

Tru_Shine
02-13-2013, 02:00 PM
I love doing this to my customer cars.... everytime their like "HOLY MOLY! LOOK AT MY WINDOW TRIM!!!!!" and they tell everyone about my business..... I love it :D Thanks Jeff.... another satisfied customer....

Concours.John
02-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Ok now who released the Kraken!

Swanicyouth
02-13-2013, 03:33 PM
In less than half the time he takes, he could have used the ETR kit and the trim would be good for 4 to 5 years!

So simple to use even Jeff Scuggs could do it.

Ron, who makes this ETR kit?

Ron Ketcham
02-13-2013, 05:31 PM
ValuGard.net

On the site is a training video that shows, in detail, how to apply.

Also on the site are some Technical Service Bulletins, issued by companies such as Mazda, Hyundai, etc that if for their dealerships, etc, regarding the use of the ETR for warranty, etc, repairs rather than replacing the trim parts.

This system has been used by these auto companies for over a decade, so it must work as they say.

Jeff Suggs
02-13-2013, 08:35 PM
I have no idea why everyone is so negative about new restoration methods done on vehicles. I came up with this trim package several years ago and no one has ever complained about it. I worked on a large overspray claim for General Motors Fairfax Assembly Plant in Kansas City KS. This is where they manufacture GM products. I removed the paint overspray from one of the employee`s vehicles, he watched one of my custom trim & wiper packages videos and wanted it done to his truck. I polished his vehicle and restored his trim pieces & wiper arms. He was very pleased with his truck and showed it to the plant manager. The plant manager and other officials observed the process first hand and approved it. They had a meeting and allowed me to apply this process to 126 vehicles. These are new vehicles straight off the line. They then sent 5 vehicles each to a number of their dealerships across the country. I have applied 530 of my trim package for dealerships all over the United States to this date. These parts are made of Polymers which will dry out and fade in time. My package will last for years, just wax it like the rest of the vehicle. The plant manager of Fairfax Assemble plant, painters, engineers, thousands of plant workers, dealerships and others have approved my work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NORt4vmLfsk&list=UU8Prq7nXwUSPraFX6jd5Hdw&index=151

Ron Ketcham
02-13-2013, 10:25 PM
That`s a drop in the bucket.

How about in excess as of today, over 50,000 Hyundia`s, over 20,000 Mitsubishi`s, over 10,000 Mazda`s, close to 30,000 Nissan/Infiniti`s, all done by the dealers low paid new car get ready people? A product kit that has been around and used for in excess of 10 years. If it didn`t work and last for 4 to 5 years, those companies would have recinded their TSB`s for it`s use.

I have no idea of how many more vehicles have been done with the ETR by independant detailer operations, and then we can move on to Delta Sonic and it`s 26 major detailing operations, what, another 10,000 or more?

Yes, it is possible and works, to use a "lambs wool" pad on a rotary, at the lowest speed, and any good polish to bring back the shine on the "molded" gloss plastic cowl`s, some mirrors and keep them in good shape with a twice a year polish and wax application.

The ETR referred to is not for those "gloss" molded parts, it is for textured.

That buffing process, won`t work on textured trim, plus once the `buffing process` is done on the "gloss parts" a major portion of the inherit UV coating is removed, which lessens the life of the part.

Been doing and teaching, the `buffing" of those gloss parts since 1990, it`s no new thing.