PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber pad durability

xtremekustomz
02-10-2013, 08:25 AM
I finally got around to using some Surbuf microfiber pads that I bought last year. I really loved the combination of the pads and M105 for defect removal on my pc. I still had to use the rotary to remove some other imperfections but overall pleased. The only thing that I noticed is that the pads break down pretty quick. The backing has started to pull apart and the foam is falling off in pieces. Are the meguiars mf pads any more durable? I see they are $20+ for 2.

togwt
02-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Pad durability – there are too many variables to even begin to put a durability timeline on any pads as this would be dependent upon which grade of abrasives are used, what amount of pressure is used, what type of machine polisher action (random orbital, rotary) how are they cleaned between washings, how are they washed / dried and etc

Scottwax
02-10-2013, 01:37 PM
I`ve got Meguiars and Optimum pads that are months old and working great. The Meguiars cutting pad backing goes bad on the early ones pretty quickly but the last several have held up well.

xtremekustomz
02-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Pad durability – there are too many variables to even begin to put a durability timeline on any pads as this would be dependent upon which grade of abrasives are used, what amount of pressure is used, what type of machine polisher action (random orbital, rotary) how are they cleaned between washings, how are they washed / dried and etc

M105, moderate to heavy pressure, porter cable polisher, and washed under the faucet in my kitchen by hand and towel dried by laying the pad flat and pushing downward. This was the first time I had even used them.

SVR
02-13-2013, 03:24 AM
surbuf pads do have that flaw but if your very careful and do not wring them, they will last a long time

All manufacturers of MF pads need to improve the glue and the backing on their pads, pretty good but not good enough just yet

I wish there were MF pads with no foam backing, j:bump:ust microfibre or cloth backing like micro mesh abrasive discs

Optimum Mf foam backing is too thick