PDA

View Full Version : Scuff marks be gone!

Tassadar
07-28-2003, 09:32 PM
Well I have hated scuff marks for years. But no matter what I tried, I could never get rid of them, not even with rubbing alcohol. So tonight, I drew the battle lines on a 2002 red BMW. I started off light, using SG dilluted 30:1, no go. So I stepped up to alcohol, no go. Depressed I went back inside my house, and began to give up. When I saw my mom cleaning a sink with Comet, and though, VIOLA! So I put just a little bit on a terry cloth, and lightly went to work on the vinyl. In jsut a few passes, the marks were gone. Plus the vinyl looks brand spanking new! I treated the surface with Lexol Vinylex, buffed it, and stood back. ive never been more impressed in my life.

God Bless Comet Cleaner!

Ringo
07-29-2003, 07:57 AM
Dan,

I keep a roll of fine steel wool in my unit to take care of scuff marks. Spray a little APC on the steel wool and it will take care of most scuff marks etc on vinyl and plastic. Make sure it`s a very fine steel that`s not too abrasive. I get a huge roll from 3D International for about $15.00 and it lasts me at least a year.

rtbrick
07-29-2003, 08:06 AM
Seems that scrubbing any vinyl or plastic parts with an abbrasive would leave a mark vice removing. I`ll have to try that fine steel wool trick. How well does it work on textured trim/interior pieces?

Ringo
07-29-2003, 08:25 AM
I use it most often on textured surfaces. Most often on doors, you know how people have a tendancy to kick their doors open using their feet, causing scuffs. Well this is where I use it most often. It`s also really good around the door handles and the part of the door where people hang their arm out of the window and the dirt builds up in the crevices. I`ve also used it on vinyl seats, steering wheels etc.

If you`re not sure, test it on a small area first. I`ve even used it on leather with the owners permission. It did cause a very mild scuff on the leather, but it removed the stain and the owner was happy.

Make sure it`s the very fine, soft steel wool, about the same as an SOS pad.

Thomasfl
07-29-2003, 09:07 AM
I use Stoner`s Xenit on scuff marks, no problem.

TheCompleteLook
07-31-2003, 01:25 AM
I`m not so sure I`m hip to using Comet...
I agree with Thomas, the Stoner`s product is a winner. Smells nice too.
I haven`t had trouble with scuffs, usually a good cleaner and brush takes away anything I`ve seen.

Tassadar
07-31-2003, 03:51 PM
The car I was doing was my mother`s BMW. The tan interior in those shows scuffs like you wouldn`t believe. Just a small ammount of Comet (Bon Ami can be used too) on a damp terry cloth removed them nicely. I dressed it with Vinylex afterwards, the plastic looks practically new.