PDA

View Full Version : What`s everyone`s using for a single step correction?

Pages : [1] 2

LilJayV10
02-06-2013, 11:22 PM
I have done about 6 full corrections(2 and 3 steps) One of the things that I am wanting to do this year is start doing one step corrections. IMO I think more people will be interested in a one step due to cost.

What pads/compounds is everyone using?

Thanks!

Jason

Nth Degree
02-06-2013, 11:37 PM
All depends on the car but my go to has been Menzerna Power Finish with 5.5" LC orange flat pad. I`ve got to do some more testing with FG400 to decide if I like it better for 1 steps. For AIO I tend to go with Poli-Seal or BF Total Polish & Seal, depending on the color.

LilJayV10
02-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the response Nth. I`m surprise that the orange pad finishes down well and doesn`t leave any micro marring. I am so OCD about paint correction I don`t know if I can bring myself to do just a one step. :D

colinpd137
02-07-2013, 03:26 AM
Menzerna FG-400 - haven`t found anything better for just "one" step correction.

togwt
02-07-2013, 06:00 AM
Single-Step

When performing this level of polishing, you`re typically trying to accomplish as much correction as you can while at the same time finishing down as well as is feasible for a 1-step polish.

Menzerna Power Finish PO203S and a Lake County (LC) Orange or a Green pad

Menzerna Final Finish PO106FA on a (LC) White pad (single stage, soft paint)

Juan@Turbo Wax
02-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Our Turbo Wax Swirl Remover works very well for this, I do a LOT of one step correction for the same reason you stated. :) I can send you a sample if you wish.

Dan
02-07-2013, 05:33 PM
UNO, works fast, finishes well, not a lot of overhead.

LilJayV10
02-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Menzerna FG-400 - haven`t found anything better for just "one" step correction.

Is the FG-400 diminishing?

reparebrise
02-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Rupes LR21, orange LC ccs or hydofoam, and HD speed or Opti GPS.

LilJayV10
02-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Rupes LR21, orange LC ccs or hydofoam, and HD speed or Opti GPS.

A similar combination was suggest to me by a very reputable detailer.

LilJayV10
02-08-2013, 08:35 PM
"Ultimate 1 step combo (money maker): Rupes Bigfoot 21 mm, Megs yellow pad, M205, D301 Finishing Wax. Done. = $$$"

This is what I was referring too. It`s a two step with using the finishing wax but it kills two birds with one stone. It`s like a 1.5 step.

I have only used the orange pad with M105/D300. I am skeptical about using it it on a one step but I would imagine the compound plays a large part into it also. I would have never thought to use it. I will defiantly give it a try.

bryan
02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Are you talking one step with protection included or one Polishing step and then a wax or sealant?

sent using my thumbs, mispelling most words

Richard Grasa
02-09-2013, 05:48 PM
If true one step, on something that is in very good shape I use Optimum GPS. For something swirled that needs more cut I use a separate polish/LSP, usually HD Polish followed by Opti-Seal or OCW.

I like the GPS because it`s very easy to use and has very good durability. If I`m doing something where the customer wants a one-step but it`s a little swirled, but no true correction is to be done, I will take the extra 10 - 15 minutes to get the extra cut and a quick to apply LSP.

LilJayV10
02-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Are you talking one step with protection included or one Polishing step and then a wax or sealant?

sent using my thumbs, mispelling most words

Either really. It would depend on the car and how bad it is. I think more often than not it would be a single step and put on wax/sealant. If the car needed a little bit more gloss I would probably go with something like D301.

SVR
02-17-2013, 12:25 AM
I have two different one step services, a cheaper one done in four hours by myself and another that takes longer as I am working each panel in halves or quarters (top sections half or quarters) not the whole panel in one hit but achieving near on 100% correction and far better gloss than the cheaper service

Flexipads and Optimum microfibre polishing pads (I only use foam if MF polish pad is too strong for the paint I`m working on)

Xpert Ultra and High Tech at the same time or those two plus Jewelling Polish at the same time (all three are single polish systems so can be used in any order by themselves, any two together or all three)

High tech and jewelling polish help produce a much wetter, richer deeper gloss as ultra alone is very nice but this combo keeps MF pad moist, the film of polish on the paint going for a very long time

unique abrasive package

Hood, roof and trunk done with Dynabrade 61385 with forced and random mode within the one step

Festool Rotex in both modes used on curved areas the DB doesnt work on and tight areas done with pneumatic dynabrade 15mm orbit throw 3 inch RO

Usually gets up to 75% correction or even more on hard paint and 95 to 100% correction and possibly a conventional two step like finish with the one pad in less time

One example of the better one step service (apologies for not doing a direct sunlight video)

Car started out as a real mess and paint hardness was medium soft

having great success with this on messed up paint and especially on paint in better nick

polish is not mixed in a bottle and I use it in different ratios depending on paint dryness, hardness etc - example 60% ultra, 25% high tech, 15% jewelling or 50, 30, 20

HSV Astra One step - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5l_42vsNKo&list=UUgfV0S1-wuCOfX7-3X9glXg&index=4)