PDA

View Full Version : Touchup paint in a chip that has lifted edges

dfoxengr
02-03-2013, 05:40 PM
I looked at a chip under 40x magnification and I can see the rim of the chip is lifted slightly. How should I take care of this to get best adhesion.

Products I have that should come in handy:

Rustoleum wax and grease remover

IPA

Scratch pens in large and small sizes (fiberglass sanding pen) Amazon.com: Scratch Brush, Fiberglass (Colors may vary): Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Brush-Fiberglass-Colors-vary/dp/B0019V18D2/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y)

Dr Colorchip

I am not sure if i should sand away the lifted edge or not. That`s what the pens would be for.

Thanks

Ron Ketcham
02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Clean it out really good, scuff the edges, clean with solvent and this time-apply a primer before you put the color and clear on.

That`s probably why it lifted, started corroding under the paint.

dfoxengr
02-04-2013, 08:17 AM
this is a chip that`s not ever been touched up. I guess I wasn`t clear about that.

the factory paint is lifted around the rim. in the center is bare metal.

I do also have some touchup primer though. I guess following your advice for this first repair of this chip will work.

thanks

Accumulator
02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
dfoxengr- Much as I like the "sanding pens", I find them a little tricky to use without marring the adjacent good paint. I whittle the pen`s filaments down with a razor blade, but often it`s just not the right too for the job compared to, say...the corner of a folded piece of sandpaper.

At least tape all around the chip to help avoid an "oops!".