PDA

View Full Version : 3D Eraser Water Spot Remover..dangerous???

Alfisti
01-23-2013, 09:36 AM
I`ve been a fan of 3D Eraser Water Spot Remover (http://www.3dproducts.com/Eraser-Water-Spot-Remover16-Oz-Gel.html) for some time as it has worked very well for me.

http://www.3dproducts.com/images/P/105WOZ16G-01.jpg

However, I`ve just read the MSDS and discovered it contains Ammonium BiFlouride (ABF).

This has really disturbed me as it`s not mentioned on the bottle and is a substance that`s VERY dangerous in even small quantities. I religiously avoid HF and ABF in wheel cleaners and this discovery had troubled me.

PurProtection Systems - Its Not just Cleaning, Its prevention: The truth about ammonium bifluoride (http://blog.evoindustrialproducts.com/2010/12/truth-about-ammonium-bifluoride.html)

Should we be concerned?

For the sake of full disclosure, are there any other 3D products that contain ABF or HF?

Ben@3D
01-23-2013, 03:12 PM
We do not hide what is in our products. Our MSDS Sheets are readily available here (http://www.3dproducts.com/MSDS-Sheets.html).

Ammonium BiFlouride is in 3 of our products(Wheel Brite, Acid Mag Wire Wheel Cleaner, and Eraser). Only the Eraser is available online.

Eraser contains 3% ABF so it is highly diluted to being with.

Eraser is designed for a specific purpose which is to remove water spots. Without ABF, it would not be as effective of a cleaner for this purpose.

When used as directed, it is extremely safe and effective to use.

I believe this article was written with the car washes in mind that use the traditional acid based soaps and wheel cleaners (ABF is as high as 50% in some of these products) where there is a much higher risk of potency and exposure.

David Fermani
01-23-2013, 06:28 PM
I tend to use it in a well ventilated area with skin protection. Just don`t snort or swallow it and you`ll be fine. Works excellent to remove ferrous metal particles too.

Alfisti
01-25-2013, 04:45 PM
We do not hide what is in our products. Our MSDS Sheets are readily available here (http://www.3dproducts.com/MSDS-Sheets.html).

Ammonium BiFlouride is in 3 of our products(Wheel Brite, Acid Mag Wire Wheel Cleaner, and Eraser). Only the Eraser is available online.

Eraser contains 3% ABF so it is highly diluted to being with.

Eraser is designed for a specific purpose which is to remove water spots. Without ABF, it would not be as effective of a cleaner for this purpose.

When used as directed, it is extremely safe and effective to use.

I believe this article was written with the car washes in mind that use the traditional acid based soaps and wheel cleaners (ABF is as high as 50% in some of these products) where there is a much higher risk of potency and exposure.

Thanks Ben for taking the time to respond to my concerns.

I didn`t mean to imply that you "hide" information. As you say, it`s in your MSDS where I discovered ABF in Eraser.

I simply meant that with such a potentially hazardous ingredient I thought a more explicit warning would be on the label, stressing the avoidance on *any* skin contact, even the wet applicator after use. I still think that would be wise as ABF can be absorbed by the skin or HF gas inhaled during application, accumulates and damages the body, in extreme cases leading to Skeletal Fluorosis. I would think frequent exposure would be the chief concern here.

However, your explanation provided me with some reassurance. In fact, I`ve used it twice more since posting my concerns - although taking *great* care in its use. :D

It certainly does what it says and does it well. :up

I don`t want to sound like an alarmist or overly distress the product`s users. Nor do I wish to bash a great product by a great company. My chief concern is the users safety and when it comes to ABF or HF, I err on the side of extreme caution.

Alfisti
01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Works excellent to remove ferrous metal particles too.

Another excellent use for it...thanks for the heads-up. :bigups

I experimented yesterday by using it on a clients badly oxidised white SS car. Ron Ketcham suggested doing an ABC on this sort of vehicle before polishing so I tried Eraser. It was brilliant...really cleaned off most of the oxidation and polishing it was easy. Pad didn`t get loaded up with oxides and finished the job far quicker!

What`s your thoughts on this use David?

Ben@3D
01-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Will discuss your suggestions with the higher ups.

Ben

David Fermani
01-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Another excellent use for it...thanks for the heads-up. :bigups

I experimented yesterday by using it on a clients badly oxidised white SS car. Ron Ketcham suggested doing an ABC on this sort of vehicle before polishing so I tried Eraser. It was brilliant...really cleaned off most of the oxidation and polishing it was easy. Pad didn`t get loaded up with oxides and finished the job far quicker!

What`s your thoughts on this use David?

Not sure about that, but wouldn`t mind trying it? What I like doing on SS cars is using a yellow bug brick with APC to give it a deep clean. On really oxidized vehicles I used compound the same exact way too. As long as it`s water based it will work. That coupled with the stiffness of the bug brick breaks down and loosens things up a bunch.