PDA

View Full Version : Lots of lint after quick detailing -- What am I doing wrong??

Pages : [1] 2

SF Space Grey
01-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Hi all,

I just got a new car and really enjoy washing it once or twice a month. I`ve only done it twice, but both times, after my final step of applying quick detailer / spray sealant, I notice that the car is covered with lint. We`re not talking large lint here, but tiny individual fibers, maybe 2-3mm long each, on every square inch of the car, but only visible on the top panels (hood, roof, trunk). It`s not noticeable from more than five feet away, but up close, when the light catches it, the whole finish looks... textured... in a really unattractive way. The QD is supposed to be the final finishing touch, leaving the car spotless and glossy. But adding all this lint pretty much defeats the purpose. I`m desperate for a solution here. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Here`s my process:

* Wash with ONR using two bucket method and microfiber chenille mitt

* Blot dry panel by panel using waffle weave MF drying towel

* spray a little QD on plush MF towel

* 1-3 sprays of Red Mist Tropical per panel

* with light pressure, spread RMT over surface of panel by moving plush MF back and forth in one direction

* flip MF towel and wipe gently until product flashes off

* enjoy tons of lint glinting in the sunlight on my freshly washed car

I know that using cheap MF towels is a bad idea, so I`ve tried this one (DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel - 16" x 16" | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Microfiber-M13/Ultra-Plush-Two-Sided-Towel-P105/16-x-16-S1/)) and this one (http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-Quick-Detail-Microfiber-Towel_p_573.html). Both were pre-washed with a very small amount of arm & hammer detergent (no fabric softener, etc.) and air dried.

911fanatic
01-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Lint is from your towels, plain and simple. Get some towels like these (http://autoality.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6210&idcategory=16) from Autoality. We sell the same towels and they are more than plush enough, won`t mar the paint and are reasonably priced.

Dan
01-23-2013, 11:12 AM
You say air dryed, like hung out to dry? That might be contributing as a dryer does a good job of vacuuming out the lint.

SF Space Grey
01-23-2013, 12:50 PM
You say air dryed, like hung out to dry? That might be contributing as a dryer does a good job of vacuuming out the lint.

Yep, hung to dry. I was thinking that a dryer might be rough on the fibers, breaking them and contributing to the lint. Thanks for the advice though, I`ll try the dryer (maybe with no heat... just air fluff) next time and see if that helps.

SF Space Grey
01-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Lint is from your towels, plain and simple. Get some towels like these (http://autoality.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6210&idcategory=16) from Autoality. We sell the same towels and they are more than plush enough, won`t mar the paint and are reasonably priced.

Thanks for the rec. I`m resistant to the idea of just buying more and more towels in the hopes that one doesn`t have this problem. My girlfriend already makes fun of me for having so many. The ones I already bought were highly rated, which makes me think I`m doing something wrong or all towels do this. Am I right that I need a plush towel for this? Should I be using two separate plush towels--one to spread the QD and another to lightly buff? Is Red Mist Tropical especially good at pulling lint out of the towels?

ihaveacamaro
01-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the rec. I`m resistant to the idea of just buying more and more towels in the hopes that one doesn`t have this problem. My girlfriend already makes fun of me for having so many. The ones I already bought were highly rated, which makes me think I`m doing something wrong or all towels do this. Am I right that I need a plush towel for this? Should I be using two separate plush towels--one to spread the QD and another to lightly buff? Is Red Mist Tropical especially good at pulling lint out of the towels?

What type of towels?

I have two types of Microfiber towels for rinseless. The cobra towels and Adam`s towels. Neither of these lint... ever.

Accumulator
01-23-2013, 01:27 PM
..I`ll try the dryer (maybe with no heat... just air fluff) next time ..

I dry all my MFs on low or medium and I`ve never had a problem.

... The [MFs} I already bought were highly rated, which makes me think I`m doing something wrong or all towels do this...

Most plush MFs lint a little bit, but some are a lot worse than others. Plenty of "very good" MFs lint like crazy for me but most of the ones I`m using now (thinking especially about the ones from PakShak) aren`t bad in this regard.

.. Am I right that I need a plush towel for this?

Plush ones are generally safer than WWs, but (noting that I`m a fanatic about not instilling marring ;) ) I use WWs and do the QDing as part of the drying process.

I generally do it this way- I blow off most of the water (you could just soak up most of it with your drying towel), then I spritz on a little QD. I wipe off the QD along with any remaining water and then buff *very gently* with another WW. I use *very* soft WWs, the softest I can get (again, most are from PakShak but I have some identical ones from another vendor).

So *I* use WWs for this, thus avoiding the lint issue. But I`m very careful to make sure the vehicle is truly clean before I do this; any residual dirt will result in marring as the WWs don`t cushion things as well as a plush MF would.

Should I be using two separate plush towels--one to spread the QD and another to lightly buff?

I generally use two towels for anthing like this. I also fog the surface with my breath before that final buff (imparts a tiny bit of moisture from the condensation).

Is Red Mist Tropical especially good at pulling lint out of the towels?

Never used that, but I don`t think the QD has anything to do with it.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

SF Space Grey
01-23-2013, 01:33 PM
What type of towels?

I have two types of Microfiber towels for rinseless. The cobra towels and Adam`s towels. Neither of these lint... ever.

I put links to the towels I`m using in the OP. I think using towels for rinseless washes is less likely to cause linting than what I`m talking about--sliding a damp towel across mostly dry paint. Have you used your towel for QD / spray sealant application with no problems?

Richard Grasa
01-23-2013, 02:52 PM
My towels would lint when they were new and not washed yet. But since I read a recommendation to wash them before the first use to get any manufacturing nasties out of them I no longer have the issue. I dry mine on low heat and have not had any problems.

Kean
01-23-2013, 04:16 PM

I would suggest buying in sample quantities initially when trying new towels. I’ve been burned in the past buying a larger order of towels that I thought were a safe bet. Some of those shed so badly that they were essentially useless (even after multiple washes). I even had issues between batches of what were supposed to be the same product.

btw, although my experience is relatively limited in this regard, the towels at PakShak have been pretty consistent performers for me so far.

Accumulator
01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
I would suggest buying in sample quantities initially when trying new towels. I’ve been burned in the past buying a larger order of towels that I thought were a safe bet. Some of those shed so badly that they were essentially useless (even after multiple washes)....

Heh heh, that reminds me of the "Shamrock" MFs I bought (for both myself and my pal with the MKII Jag). Oh man do those things lint like crazy :rolleyes:

C. Charles Hahn
01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Yep, hung to dry. I was thinking that a dryer might be rough on the fibers, breaking them and contributing to the lint. Thanks for the advice though, I`ll try the dryer (maybe with no heat... just air fluff) next time and see if that helps.

The dryer shouldn`t cause a problem if you use either the "extra low heat" or "air only" setting... in fact it might help extract whatever is causing the linting issues. That`s how I`ve always dried my towels, anyway.

Kean
01-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Heh heh, that reminds me of the "Shamrock" MFs I bought (for both myself and my pal with the MKII Jag). Oh man do those things lint like crazy :rolleyes:

....bingo. I also had purchased some other Cobra towels in that order with the same issue. I don`t recall their name but they were gray with a black border (ones side was plush and the other side had a short nap). They also shed horribly but nothing like those Shamrocks. I haven`t purchased any towels from AG since. ....thankfully, your recommendation to try PakShak worked out great for me.

SF Space Grey
01-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Guys, thanks for the warm welcome and all the tips! I know everyone loves PakShak towels, so I`ll check them out if machine drying doesn`t work on mine. One thing I`m wondering, though, is who actually makes these microfiber towels? Isn`t there a good chance I`ll just be getting towels from the same manufacturer(s) as before? For example, these: MICROPAK 16" x 16" "Fire on Ice" Ultra-Plush Micro Fiber Towel (http://www.pakshak.com/fire-on-ice-ultra-plush-micro-fiber-towel-16x16.html) look exactly like the Detailers Domain towels I`m already using.

If I can`t get this sorted out, maybe I just need to use a less plush (lower nap) towel for QD application?

Ron Ketcham
01-24-2013, 09:21 PM
In the dark ages, back when there was little such products and accessories, etc as today, we learned to understand "static electricty".

We would take a "metal chain" and "ground" the vehicle, since the bodies were steel and running a buffer over that paint, on the metal, would create static electricity.

Today, started about 20 years ago, cars now have not only steel, but various plastics, etc in the body.

Very hard to create a "ground" for today`s vehicles,(due to the construction and assmebly of the vehicles) but there are other ways to reduce the static electricity charge.

Rubbing by hand, using a machine that "polishes", all create a static charge in the body of the vehicle.

Washing the vehicle after polishing will remove most of the charge, however, it should not be done after the application of a sealant-(discussed last night on chat, how water stops the crosslinking of the sealant, etc), and reduces any dust or lint from being drawn to the vehicles paint surface.

One way a very intelligent student to my old companies detail training course came up with was to mix up a solution of something like an anti-static laundry product and wiping the vehicle down first.

Not really sure about that one.

Then, there is the issue of the "tires" on the vehicle, that`s right, the "tires", as some will not only generate static charges (ever touch some cars when they have been driven and get a slight shock when you touched the door handle?), so if they have built a charge in the body, they may very well hold that charge, which one then enhances when doing the buffing/polishing process.(Dunlop and Firestone had these issues in some tires, made in some plants)

There is no one simple answer, it requires that each car is approached in a detective manner, know the vehicle, etc.

Sorry, I can`t give you a certain, for sure answer to the concern, just some things to consider.

Grumpy