PDA

View Full Version : New car paint scoured!

Pages : [1] 2

mtbgirl
03-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Any detailers in the SF Bay Area?

Yesterday I left work to find my new black car (1 1/2 months) covered in gypsum dust & 4 contractors putting their weight into dry rags trying to scrub it off. Nooooooo!!! Needless to say, the paint is now a mess of scratches & swirl marks.

I`ve been using the 2 bucket wash method..nice microfiber towels....and on Sunday had just given it it`s first clay, AIO and UPP job. (All learned from this site!! Thanks to all!) It was looking about as good as a new Toyota paint job could look on a rather less-than-sexy Prius.

So, now I am looking for recommendations on a detailer close to Oakland CA that can polish out the swirls/scratches (they all look to be in the clearcoat layer, so am hoping no repaint is necessary). Someone w/experience who`s obsessive about shiny black paint!

(I hope I put this in the right forum - I searched past posts but could find nothing)

Thanks for any advice you all can give me!!
And, yes, the contractor agreed to pay for it.

Tex Star Detail
03-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Welcome to DC and sorry to hear about the car. Post up a few pictures if you can.

Brenton
03-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Welcome and sorry. I`m Brenton from PEI.

TiredNGrouchy
03-29-2006, 05:42 PM
You were smart to post your question here and not on one of the Prius web forums like priuschat.com or priusonline.com. Too many clueless newbies on those forums, who got one sniff of Zaino and now they think they`re experts.

FWIW, the Prius black may actually be a single-stage paint, not a basecoat/clearcoat. I`ve never seen one up close so I don`t know for sure.

If you`re a DIYer, or have an SO who is, you can probably buy a Porter Cable 7424, polishing and compounding pads, and a Menzerna IP/FPII starter kit for about the same as what you`ll be charged to polish out your swirls. Menzerna polishes with a PC seem almost idiot-proof to me - I can`t imagine anyone botching a job or marring their paint with them.

As the previous poster said though, pics are needed before a recommendation can be made.

2005 Toyota Prius Driftwood Pearl
2004 Acura MDX Sage Brush Pearl

mtbgirl
03-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I`ll try to get ahold of a friend`s camera for some photos (if it ever stops raining here).

TiredNGrouchy (your name is perfect) - I am a DIY but only up to a point w/detailing..don`t think I`m ready to get a PC & all that gear quite yet. Maybe in a couple years. Sunday was the first time I`d even clayed a car & that was scary enough on a new paint job (though turned out great)! I also doubt the construction company would comp me for a PC/equip...unless I could figure out some other way to bill them...hmm...now you`ve got me thinking... And, yeah, I did think about posting on priuschat, but came to the same conclusion you did! Think the paint code is 202 - have heard rumors that it`s everything from a tinted clearcoat to no clearc., to a full clearc - argh - who knows.

I`m still just looking for a detailer recommendation in the Bay Area in order to get the job done before the construction co `forgets` they owe me for this!

(thinking farther..if I tried to do it myself it`d take me a few weeks to order/receive the equip, maybe another week or 2 to learn how to use it & find the time [and good weather - no garage] to actually get it done! Then, of course how to bill them..)

Sorry so long..
Thanks.

JaredPointer
03-29-2006, 07:30 PM
FWIW, the Prius black may actually be a single-stage paint, not a basecoat/clearcoat. I`ve never seen one up close so I don`t know for sure.

According to Southeast Toyota Distributors Customer Service reps, Toyota does not have a single stage paint, period. Some Lexus` have SS, but according to the Toyota brass for my region, they are all CC.

TiredNGrouchy
03-30-2006, 12:09 AM
According to Southeast Toyota Distributors Customer Service reps, Toyota does not have a single stage paint, period.

I`ve heard too much conflicting information to take anyone`s word on this. Someone on priuschat.com claimed their black was single-stage, and I told him that couldn`t be true, because if it was, when he polished it, his buffing towel would turn black. He claimed it did, and that`s how he knew it was single-stage.

I suppose it`s possible that it`s actually tinted clearcoat, but I`ve only heard of that on red, never on black.

CalgaryDetail
03-30-2006, 12:11 AM
sorry to hear that but just think of how much fun you will have ficing it. :) welcome to Dc

TiredNGrouchy
03-30-2006, 12:16 AM
I`m still just looking for a detailer recommendation in the Bay Area in order to get the job done before the construction co `forgets` they owe me for this!

In case you don`t get any leads, here are a couple ideas.

I used to live in Marin County (very affluent area) and knew the local P&S distributor. He knew almost every detailer in the county, and knew who was good. You might try calling P&S (www.pssales.com) to get the names of their East Bay and North Bay distributors, and see if they can give you a recommendation.

Another idea is to call the local Porsche and MBZ dealers` service departments, and ask them who details their cars.

JaredPointer
03-30-2006, 08:41 AM
I`ve heard too much conflicting information to take anyone`s word on this. Someone on priuschat.com claimed their black was single-stage, and I told him that couldn`t be true, because if it was, when he polished it, his buffing towel would turn black. He claimed it did, and that`s how he knew it was single-stage.

I suppose it`s possible that it`s actually tinted clearcoat, but I`ve only heard of that on red, never on black.

I felt that way as well, but I did a lot of research for myself and spoke with as many "Toyota" people that I could. The highest guy I could speak with was pretty much the head of customer relations for Souteast Toyota Distributors, and, according to him, the word from corporate is that Toyota does not do a single stage paint. Just wanted to make my "source of information" a little more clear. Until I see proof or hear different, I suppose I will believe what Toyota says.

Poorboy
03-30-2006, 08:48 AM
PM or call Beemerboy...he lives in your area , in obsessed with black cars and can probably fix your problems ...his cell # is available.

joe.p
03-30-2006, 09:18 AM
PM or call Beemerboy...he lives in your area , in obsessed with black cars and can probably fix your problems ...his cell # is available
his cell #,are you unhappy with bemmer :rofl .there goe`s 6,000 DC members calling to say hello.

Beemerboy
03-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Any detailers in the SF Bay Area?

Yesterday I left work to find my new black car (1 1/2 months) covered in gypsum dust & 4 contractors putting their weight into dry rags trying to scrub it off. Nooooooo!!! Needless to say, the paint is now a mess of scratches & swirl marks.

I`ve been using the 2 bucket wash method..nice microfiber towels....and on Sunday had just given it it`s first clay, AIO and UPP job. (All learned from this site!! Thanks to all!) It was looking about as good as a new Toyota paint job could look on a rather less-than-sexy Prius.

So, now I am looking for recommendations on a detailer close to Oakland CA that can polish out the swirls/scratches (they all look to be in the clearcoat layer, so am hoping no repaint is necessary). Someone w/experience who`s obsessive about shiny black paint!

(I hope I put this in the right forum - I searched past posts but could find nothing)

Thanks for any advice you all can give me!!
And, yes, the contractor agreed to pay for it.

Welcome to the site I`m in Sonoma County (I`m sure you know where I`m at) send me a PM and I will be happy to help in anyway....I feel your pain about the black car....I own one!

Beemerboy
03-30-2006, 10:37 AM
PM or call Beemerboy...he lives in your area , in obsessed with black cars and can probably fix your problems ...his cell # is available.

Thanks Steve but for posting my cell number you can include a free Nattys paste wax on the order you are going to send me:)

Poorboy
03-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks Steve but for posting my cell number you can include a free Nattys paste wax on the order you are going to send me:)

sure :rolleyes: I thought you said you have free incoming calls :D