PDA

View Full Version : Rubber cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

solekeeper
01-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Hey guys looking to pick up some kind of cleaner that won`t kill the rubber down the road...

It`s got water spots on it, and just in general looks dry and lifeless. It is for a 2009 Leuxs, inside the doors and around them.

Is there an all in one? Thanks for the help in advance!

Edit: I have Lexol at my shop, could this possibly work? I dont want to try it and then the rubber ends up completely screwed lol.

colinpd137
01-17-2013, 01:03 AM
I use Meguiar`s #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner for trim, works great and is cost effective in my opinion.

togwt
01-17-2013, 04:54 AM
Griot’s Rubber Prep, is an intense cleaner for heavily soiled rubber tires, trim, mouldings, seals, and hoses. This gel rubber cleaner removes old dressings and road grime to prepare the surface for a coat of rubber dressing by getting down to the bare rubber.

Finish cleaning by using a micro fibre towel, the micro barbs in its nap will remove any leftover dirt / debris. Micro fibre came about by combining two DuPont inventions: hydrophobic Polyester (a scrubbing fibre) which also gives the material strength and durability and a hydrophilic Polyamide (an absorbing fibre) that is tremendously absorbent and quick drying.

POPPAJ
01-17-2013, 08:58 AM
I`ve begun using CG Black Light on the rubber surrounding the windows and door handles. Cleans and protects and they look like new when done. I use a throw away damp cotton towel or MF cloth to apply as the towels turn completely black. Haven`t seen anyone else doing it this way.

Jean-Claude
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
I keep a large stock of 1z Plastic deep cleaner on hand. It works awesome.

Accumulator
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
+1 for TOGWT`s Griot`s Rubber Prep suggestion :xyxthumbs

If you haven`t tried it, you probably can`t imagine how well it works.

I do, however, often use it on cotton terry for the first few applications, more aggressive than the MF (but usual caveats for aggressive application media apply).

I use that to get things into OK shape, and then whatever protectant I think the situation/material calls for. But the Rubber Prep is always my starting point (well, I`ll use IPA for wiperblades). I also use it for much exterior trim, especially that which will get some kind of sealant.

If/when rubber is so deteriorated that I think the Rubber Prep would be a waste of (somewhat pricey) product, I`ll strip off much/most of the "dead rubber" with IPA or even Hi-Temp Heavy Cut/"357" (the latter if a more mechanical approach is called for), but even then I`ll finish up with the Rubber Prep.

solekeeper
01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
hmm, this rubber prep sounds good. I hope it will bring it back to life.. I`m assuming since you good folks suggested it, that this won`t turn the rubber white giving it that chalky look? Thanks guys!

leokatero
01-17-2013, 10:44 PM
works great and is cost effective in my opinionhttp://webcardid.com/apple/images/a15http://webcardid.com/apple/images/k3

solekeeper
01-18-2013, 10:09 AM
works great and is cost effective in my opinionhttp://webcardid.com/apple/images/a15http://webcardid.com/apple/images/k3

what works great?

Accumulator
01-18-2013, 12:37 PM
hmm, this rubber prep sounds good. I hope it will bring it back to life.. I`m assuming since you good folks suggested it, that this won`t turn the rubber white giving it that chalky look? Thanks guys!

It *removes* the chalky, white oxidation. But note that with some rubber stuff, that`ll come back really quick, especially if you don`t get something good on there to prevent it (or at least slow it down).

solekeeper
01-25-2013, 04:21 PM
just thought i`d bump, griots worked awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Ketcham
01-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Ever try cleaning them first with just plain old rubbing alcohol?

See all the "black" stuff come off, that most don`t consider and try to "dress over"?

That "black stuff" is oxidized rubber and needs to be safely removed before moving on.

Most might be pleasantly surprised as just how well it works better than many "brands" of such cleaners.(most of which contain either IPA or other, more active solvents, and those may actually remove some percentage of important components of the rubber.)

Grumpy

agtjamesb007
04-27-2013, 02:30 AM
I was wondering How to clean these rubber and plastic trim parts of the car without drying out the rubber. I have a white car and I think the rain running off the black rubber and plastic makes streaks and soil`s my car faster. I hear alcohol, and even dish soap (due to the incorrect Ph) can dry out the rubber. Its a pain cleaning the car too, because if some product gets on the rubber, and I wipe it off, it smears on the white pain and is hard to remove, not to mention it turns my towel black.

togwt
04-27-2013, 04:08 AM
I was wondering How to clean these rubber and plastic trim parts of the car without drying out the rubber. I have a white car and I think the rain running off the black rubber and plastic makes streaks and soil`s my car faster. I hear alcohol, and even dish soap (due to the incorrect Ph) can dry out the rubber. Its a pain cleaning the car too, because if some product gets on the rubber, and I wipe it off, it smears on the white pain and is hard to remove, not to mention it turns my towel black.

Separating Tyres from Trim as they are fabricated from different materials-

The seals on most vehicles are no longer made of natural rubber; vehicle manufacturers use a specialized synthetic material called ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM).

Natural rubber, or blends containing natural rubber, just cannot endure the direct exposure to sunlight (ultraviolet light) and the harmful-to-rubber oxidizing gases in our atmosphere.

The seals around the vehicles lights (headlights, brake and indicator lights, etc) and the soft seals around doors, windows, sunroof’s, hood and trunk are constantly being flexed and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. For maintenance use a product that contains glycerine to maintain the look and feel of the material

Periodically clean using Iz einszett `Plastik-Reiniger` an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture, tactile feel and resiliency

Protection – using 1z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care & Potectant "Tiefenpfleger” for use on clean or pre-cleaned vinyl or rubber, it provides a temperature-resistant seal and a low-shine matte finish Dust-resistant and retards the fading effects of UV rays to keep exterior ‘rubber’ and vinyl looking like new.

Zymol Soft Seal Rubber Restorer - for use on clean or pre-cleaned soft seals, those around doors, hoods and boot lids, present a number of problems as they are constantly being flexed and crushed while being subjected to hostile environments. Zymol Seal is derived from glycerine, a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, which notably prolongs the useful life of rubber seals by releasing trapped solvents and restoring original moisture

Highly recommended

• Iz einzett Gummi Pflege (Rubber Care)

• Zymol Seal - a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, it will prolong the useful life of the seal by restoring the original moisture and resist tearing and sticking

• Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick - is silicone-free, biodegradable, and water repellent

Accumulator
04-27-2013, 11:56 AM

I clean them with Griot`s Rubber Prep, or IPA, or KAIO. Then I treat them with ValuGard Fast Finish or even some LSP like Collinite 845. No streaking or need to redo after the rain.

IME the IPA on removes the "dead" rubber and doesn`t dry out/damage the trim/seal.

I`ve been treating exterior rubber and plastic with LSPs since the `80s and I`ve never had any problems from that approach. The trim on my `85 Jag has been treated like that almost since new (at least since `88) and it`s in showroom condition, same with my other "keepers"; I`ve been doing this long enough on the same cars to have a pretty good long-term observation period.