PDA

View Full Version : How to remove wax from plastic trim - video

ihaveacamaro
01-11-2013, 09:57 PM
I`m sure most people here know how to do this, but I`ve seen this question asked a few times so here`s a short helpful (hopefully) video I made on it.

How to remove dried wax from car plastic trim (http://youtu.be/3jK1w2TtGxQ)

Hope you enjoy :)

Ron Ketcham
01-11-2013, 10:08 PM
A few thing are actually left out.

I understand that you have meant well with the video.

However. some questions are not addressed and that is a concern, as people will watch this and actually believe it is a "answer to every such concern".

Like what is the substrate of the plastic you removed "the wax" from.

What was the solvent system of the "wax", etc, etc.

Just the solvent/carrier system of a "wax/sealant" may actually attack the trim substrate, depending on what that may be and "permently" discolor the trim part.

No amount of use of a brush or any all purpose cleaner is capable of replacing the pigment of the part by cleaning of it.

I could go on and on, but reality it what vehicle, what age of the vehicle, was it from such as an ABS or polyethane based trim, etc, etc etc.

For an example, are you aware that some manufacturers use grill parts that are actually "painted" with a modern "lacquer" based coating?

As far as the "special` brush, well that is a matter, in reality of a "tooth brush", want a stiff one, use a new one, for a softer one, use the one that you replaced with the new one.

You got rid of the old one because it was not as "stiff", etc, right?

People see such as this and have no knowledge of just what the "substrate" of the part is, what solvents, cleaners, really contain, are they "water borne"(some water borne contain a chemical of the butyl family) which will discolor, in time the part, or "hydrocarbon" based, so are the solvents of a safer, low VOC based or are they of the clorinated variety, such as acetone, MEK (lacquer thinner) or xylene?

Which depending on that solvent system family will/may, create a discoloring of the part forever.

So there it is, just because someone posts on the "internet", does not mean it is an answer for all as an answer to seeking resolution to such a concern.

Grumpy

mpower4life
01-11-2013, 10:49 PM
might also want to consider taping off to prevent your brush from scratching the paint....

ihaveacamaro
01-12-2013, 08:19 AM
A few thing are actually left out.

I understand that you have meant well with the video.

However. some questions are not addressed and that is a concern, as people will watch this and actually believe it is a "answer to every such concern".

Like what is the substrate of the plastic you removed "the wax" from.

What was the solvent system of the "wax", etc, etc.

Just the solvent/carrier system of a "wax/sealant" may actually attack the trim substrate, depending on what that may be and "permently" discolor the trim part.

No amount of use of a brush or any all purpose cleaner is capable of replacing the pigment of the part by cleaning of it.

I could go on and on, but reality it what vehicle, what age of the vehicle, was it from such as an ABS or polyethane based trim, etc, etc etc.

For an example, are you aware that some manufacturers use grill parts that are actually "painted" with a modern "lacquer" based coating?

As far as the "special` brush, well that is a matter, in reality of a "tooth brush", want a stiff one, use a new one, for a softer one, use the one that you replaced with the new one.

You got rid of the old one because it was not as "stiff", etc, right?

People see such as this and have no knowledge of just what the "substrate" of the part is, what solvents, cleaners, really contain, are they "water borne"(some water borne contain a chemical of the butyl family) which will discolor, in time the part, or "hydrocarbon" based, so are the solvents of a safer, low VOC based or are they of the clorinated variety, such as acetone, MEK (lacquer thinner) or xylene?

Which depending on that solvent system family will/may, create a discoloring of the part forever.

So there it is, just because someone posts on the "internet", does not mean it is an answer for all as an answer to seeking resolution to such a concern.

Grumpy

Thank you for your concerns. It is not an "answer to every such concern." It is more of a general guideline. To answer every single concern would take a video well over an hour long and no one wants to watch that.

If your part is permanently discolored, then yeah no amount of scrubbing will change that. However, you won`t know if it is permanently discolored or not until you try cleaning the wax out.

This method has yet to fail me on ABS or on other types of trim, so I didn`t think it was necessary to overbear the audience with exact types of trim. Also, most people who will watch that won`t even know what the material their trim is made of has.

As far as the painted grill point, I named the title aptly "how to remove wax from your plastic trim" not "how to to remove from your painted trim". Although I guess plastic can be painted, but again, no one wants to watch a video that is an hour long that explains all the differences... this is more of a general guideline.

What "old" brush? It`s not a toothbrush either. Just a simple Mother`s Detail Brush. Too stiff for paint, too small for the interior, just right for wax removal from plastic.

Again, I`m not trying to make an answer for all. That would be too long and boring. Just a simple guideline how to.

Thanks for your concerns :)

might also want to consider taping off to prevent your brush from scratching the paint....

Thank you that is in the annotations of the video.

Although since those brushes were originally designed to be used on paint, I don`t think it would cause too much trouble if it touches the paint :)