PDA

View Full Version : Applying Opti-Coat 2.0 in Winter, any curing issues?

Nitax
12-30-2012, 12:37 PM
I`m picking up a new 2013 Accord on Monday and plan to do a new car prep and apply Opti-Coat 2.0. I`ll be doing this in my garage with a heater and just curious if there might be any issues with it curing properly as it`s the middle of winter in New England, i.e. it`ll be subject to road salt, snow, sub 30* temps, etc.

So should I give it a go or would I be better off hitting it with Collonite and waiting until Spring?

Thanks!

Z

Scottwax
12-30-2012, 03:38 PM
I think if you leave it in a heated garage for 24 hours you`ll be just fine.

Jean-Claude
12-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Turn on some halogen lights and you should have a warm garage within 4 hours.

maxepr1
12-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Zack, I did one the other day in temps in the 20s. I would suggest in a garage if possible and putting your lights on each panel and warm to it flashes over. Panel at a time. It will take longer but I watched flash over and it was very sloooow! After warming a bit the flashing was like a 70 degree day.

David Fermani
01-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Anyone noticeing that when it`s cold, that OC wipes alot further and isn`t as grabby?

maxepr1
01-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Anyone noticeing that when it`s cold, that OC wipes alot further and isn`t as grabby?

Dave, the way Chris explained it to me was, the cold slows the flashover and it all seems to flashover so when wiping they really isn`t anything to level. Hence no more grabbing. This what I have experienced, it takes long to apply due to the slow flashover but there less chance of high spots when it colder. When it warmer it flashes faster but with that you always have to keep up with the high spots.

tssdetailing
01-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Yes, I like working with OC/OG in cooler temps. Much more forgiving

David Fermani
01-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Dave, the way Chris explained it to me was, the cold slows the flashover and it all seems to flashover so when wiping they really isn`t anything to level. Hence no more grabbing. This what I have experienced, it takes long to apply due to the slow flashover but there less chance of high spots when it colder. When it warmer it flashes faster but with that you always have to keep up with the high spots.

Makes total sense. Thanks for the explanation.

spartacus_33
01-11-2013, 11:00 AM
I used Opti-coat 2.0 when it was 38 deg. After I applied it to a section, I used a heat gun [safe distance]to speed up the flash off, and rewarmed the area after an hour. It seems to be fine.

RaskyR1
01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes, I like working with OC/OG in cooler temps. Much more forgiving

Agreed! I like it right around 65-70