PDA

View Full Version : Car Pelted By Salt Spreader Truck!

peacemaker
12-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Hey guys,

A smallish winter storm hit the northeast yesterday. On my way home, I was at a red light, and a dump truck carrying tons of salt stopped right next to me in the right turn lane with the spreader on!

I heard what sounded like a machine gun of pellets hitting my car and I quickly realized what it was... I was livid. But I couldn`t do anything since it was spraying salt all over my car. It sprayed for probably ~7 seconds or so. When I got home, I looked at the side/rear of the car, and it was brown with salt all over. At this point, it was hailing and had to run inside. It eventually warmed up and turned to rain.

It rained all night and this morning. The car doesn`t look brown anywhere in that area. Am I in the clear for now? I would wash it, but its supposed to snow today and Saturday!

Thanks.

AuAltima3.5
12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Was it brine or pellets? I know you said pellets, but hey, the brine hitting the car would sound bad, too.

I drive a beater in the winter (which isn`t much in the south - but it is convenient when going to places like Target or the mall when you don`t want your car screwed up).

Having a beater isn`t practical/an option for other people, but the beauty is I just don`t care about this car`s visual appearance that much. It saves me alot of worry and grief.

Accumulator
12-27-2012, 01:27 PM
peacemaker- My big concern was the chance of hail-damage type dents from the salt. Sounds like you avoided that, so I myself wouldn`t worry about it. Eh, my vehicles can get so salt-encrusted that you can`t tell what color they are! As long as it`s a vehicle that you`re gonna subject to winter use anyhow, I don`t see any big worries.

AuAltima3.5- "Yeah!" :xyxthumbs on the winter beater car. My problem is that I end up being just as nutty about my beaters as I am about my good cars :o

peacemaker
12-27-2012, 02:00 PM
I hear you guys. I only have one car, so another car is not exactly an option. I just happened to get a pretty car for my daily this time around. I sure do miss my previous car (SUV) in situations like this :|

The car was recently protected by Griots Paint Sealant

Dan
12-27-2012, 05:03 PM
My problem is that I end up being just as nutty about my beaters as I am about my good cars :o

I am the same way, which is why I keep buying and then selling my beaters. I fix them up to the point they are too nice to be a beater!!!

Accumulator
12-28-2012, 12:48 PM
I am the same way, which is why I keep buying and then selling my beaters. I fix them up to the point they are too nice to be a beater!!!

Heh heh, once I get mine fixed up I don`t want to part with them!

I sold my beater-Blazer to my (good) painter`s son, my beater became his good car, and ended up missing it something awful until I bought the current beater-Tahoe (basically the exact same thing only bigger..same color even).