PDA

View Full Version : Best Non-Permanent Coating?

IHA Mark
12-25-2012, 11:38 AM
I`m looking to add coatings to my business next year as an add-on service. I will still be doing Opti-Coats but want to feature non permanent coatings for longer lasting protection, and also for vehicles where a full correction is not wanted or in the budget.

What is everyone experience and recommendation about non permanent coatings? What works well, is cost efficient, and easy to use and apply?

Ones I`m considering:

HD Nitro Seal

Wolf`s Hard Body

GTechniq EXO

CQuartz

Dodo Supernatural Infinity Paint Sealant

David Fermani
12-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Now that would be one heck of a product comparison shootout! If someone is willing to do an in-depth review I can see about getting some NS for you.

richy
12-25-2012, 10:54 PM
I used to use DG 501 then 105 then Colli 845. It would last a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IHA Mark
12-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Now that would be one heck of a product comparison shootout! If someone is willing to do an in-depth review I can see about getting some NS for you.

NS seems to be a great product that is well reviewed, but I am looking at many different factors here, which is why I want some experienced opinions. I`m looking into things such as:

1. Durability of product

2. Visual appearance

3. Price

4. Ease of use (especially in direct sunlight)

5. Cost efficiency.. I simply cannot pay $50+ for just one vehicle, the money would not be in it for me, and I would be better off just using OC

I`m very interested in the Dodo juice product, in my opinion their products look amazing, and if their coating looks anything like their waxes it would be a sight to behold.

gagnomchae
12-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Now that would be one heck of a product comparison shootout!http://www.wengmj.com/a128.jpg

Alfisti
12-27-2012, 07:55 AM
I offer NS for my non-permanent protection and OC for permanent. My responses below.

NS seems to be a great product that is well reviewed, but I am looking at many different factors here, which is why I want some experienced opinions. I`m looking into things such as:

1. Durability of product

In our climate easily lasts over 1 year. I`ve did my first NS a year ago so I can`t give you an actual figure. But, based on my applications on black cars, I`d estimate at least 18 months.

2. Visual appearance

Good depth and best gloss I`ve seen.

3. Price

One area NS fails in. It`s too pricey compared to competition I think. I get about three vehicles per kit so it costs me about $20 per vehicle. Not excessive but OC costs me less and it`s permanent. I charge $250 for a NS job. Good profit but, again, OC is cheaper per vehicle and quicker to apply. (Two parts to apply and I allow about an hour to bond before removal)

4. Ease of use (especially in direct sunlight)

Easy to apply but I wouldn`t use it in the sun. I think you`ll have issues removing it.

5. Cost efficiency.. I simply cannot pay $50+ for just one vehicle, the money would not be in it for me, and I would be better off just using OC

See answer 3.

I`m very interested in the Dodo juice product, in my opinion their products look amazing, and if their coating looks anything like their waxes it would be a sight to behold.

Scottwax
12-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Might want to toss Werkstat products in as well, definitely very durable. And Collinite 476 if you want a long lasting wax. Looks better and lasts longer than 845 for me. Easier to use too. Section at a time, remove.

gmblack3
12-27-2012, 08:32 PM
The only issue I see with hardbody is not being able to apply in the sun. Wolf`s body wrap would be another good one. Can get at least 9 months out of it. Either can be applied w a r/o quickly and you can get at least 25 applications out of the 5oz bottle.

IHA Mark
12-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Great advice here guys, I`ve been taking notes and doing research. Looks like I have a lot to consider. Anyone used the Gtechniq?

imported_Quenga
12-28-2012, 09:40 PM
You`ll probably cross off Gtechniq EXO after you read about it, I did. Requires too much...apparently you have to measure the temp of the paint. That and the cost, doesn`t seem worth it for the cars I work on.

I used Nitro Seal and did it by hand, which I`m assuming is why it was so hard to remove. Don`t know about durability, only did it on one client and I hope to never hear from him again. I`ll be putting it on my Bimmer in a few months, machine application this time. I`m hoping to get some great durability out of it because the look was the best I`ve seen yet.

Alfisti
12-29-2012, 05:35 AM
I used Nitro Seal and did it by hand, which I`m assuming is why it was so hard to remove. Don`t know about durability, only did it on one client and I hope to never hear from him again. I`ll be putting it on my Bimmer in a few months, machine application this time. I`m hoping to get some great durability out of it because the look was the best I`ve seen yet.

I always apply by hand so I don`t over-use product. Part A really soaks in to pads so be careful.

The first time I used it I also found it hard to remove. Next time I used more Part A and less Part B and had no problems removing it, even on a warm surface. I let it bond for at least an hour before removing/

David Fermani
12-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah, you definately want to apply it very thin and uniform.

Quenga - make sure you reseal the cap(s) very tight, put them in a plastic Zip-Lok, squeez out the air and store them in a cool place.