PDA

View Full Version : If your roll of masking tape dries out...

Richard Grasa
12-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Good masking tape is expensive. If your roll dries out, put it in the microwave for 15 seconds and it will be like new. At least that`s what I just heard on the show Gearz on the Speed Channel.

Ron Ketcham
12-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Sorry, but as one who has been working with the bodywork, painting etc for over 50 years, it`s A "sometimes" thing.

I like the Gear`s show, and for the most part, good information.

Suggest you go to the website of Autobody Tool Mart and take some time to read the specs on several brands of masking tapes.

I learned the hard way, and it is not always necessary to buy 3M to get a quality tape.

For one example, 3M`s adhesive and the tape are not always compatible with other brands of tapes, if one uses one brand to do the initial taping of a molding and then use another brand to attach to it, the other brand will not adhere to the original laid down tape, be it 3M, etc, etc.

Be aware, test, learn, use what you learn.

derek37
12-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Ron, I need some tape, what do you suggest to someone who doesn`t have the time to research?

David Fermani
12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
3M blue tape FTW....

Ron Ketcham
12-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I buy online form Autobody Tool Mart, use Hystic for the most part.

Only use the blue where it is really needed, 3M and Hystic`s blue is about the same price.

The normal autobody masking tape is fine for 90% of work, as it doesn`t leave tape residue on the trim and body like household masking tape does.

Has to do with the adhesive, temps it can withstand, etc, etc.