PDA

View Full Version : Brake hardware surface rust - what products to use?

Pages : [1] 2 3

SHhhhh
12-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I just bought a used Corvette, and have some questions for the experts in here. The bolts for the caliper are showing some nasty surface rust that I want to address, as well as the hardware for the 2-piece rotor. I tried using a degreaser and worked it in with a soft bristle brush. This helped for the 2-piece rotor part. However, I cannot get any improvement on the caliper hardware. I would rather not replace the bolts if I can help it.

I think (not confirmed) the previous owner or car wash place may have used an acid wheel cleaner that ruined the finish on the bolts. Is there any product I can use to return the bolt hardware back to its original finish? I want to use something that will not damage them any more, and is also safe around brake parts.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated!!

Pics just after purchasing the car:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8216/8292003026_3f1438cb7c_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8073/8292016254_b10e84f890_c.jpg

Ron Ketcham
12-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Buy new bolts, they are easy to take out and replace.

Just make sure you remove and replace "one at a time".

POPPAJ
12-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Buy new bolts, they are easy to take out and replace.

Just make sure you remove and replace "one at a time".

What he said ^^^^^^^

Accumulator
12-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Buy new bolts...

That`s my answer too, even though it`s not what you were hoping for. The trick might be *keeping* them nice...I`d ask StopTech about it. I`d sure be careful about using a hex that *properly* fits...not every Allen Wrench that`s "the right size" will fit perfectly and chipping the finish or leaving steel artifacts from the wrech will both lead to new rust.

Noting that you sure wouldn`t want to get it on the wrong brake components...I just might think about dabbing the boltheads with a little Amsoil HD Metal Protector (link: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/cleaners-and-protectants/mp-heavy-duty-metal-protector/ ). It dries quite "clean and dry" compared to most such products. Maybe not "concours clean" but I bet it`d be nice enough for daily-driver use and might delay having to replace them again.

If you absolutely, positively are *NOT* gonna replace them, I`d think about trying the Amsoil on one of the rusted bolts and seeing how it goes. OR, noting that I have no idea about how the heat would effect things, you could use one of the "paint over rust" products, being *VERY* careful not to get it on anything except those bolt heads (lest the product "glue" the bolts in place). NO, I don`t think this would be a very good idea, but I did want to mention it. The product I`d use in this case would probably be from Rust Seal (link to specific product: RustSeal Galvanized Steel by KBS Coatings - Stop Rust - Rust Paint (http://www.kbs-coatings.com/RustSeal-Galvanized-Steel.html) ).

EDIT: when you do just buy the new bolts and replace them (hint hint ;) ), be sure to torque them properly. And do one *big*, proper cleanup of the calipers and get some high-temp-OK sealant on them to make future cleanups easier.

peacemaker
12-20-2012, 01:41 PM
I was going to say the same thing... new bolts is the best solution.

JohnKleven
12-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Replace bolts, and coat with Corrosion X HD. Should keep it looking new.

SHhhhh
12-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys!!

I will try some other techniques when I get around to it. Not really interested in replacing any hardware at this time.

Accumulator
12-21-2012, 01:22 PM
..coat with Corrosion X HD. Should keep it looking new.

Glad you mentioned the Corrosion X HD, products that satisfy *you* are always of interest to me. A little googling brought up comparsions between that and the Amsoil stuff that I use; how "clear" does the Corrosion X HD dry?

SHhhhh
12-21-2012, 01:51 PM
This looks promising:

CorrosionX Rust Remover (http://www.rejex.com/corrosionx-rust-remover.html)

Accumulator
12-21-2012, 03:19 PM
SHhhhh- Yeah, it does, but even considering the ad-copy, I`d be careful about what I let it come in contact with. No, not intended as :nono or anything, just...well, be careful. Treating the rust with that stuff and then using their XD stuff might work great.

There are *VERY* small "disposable paint brushes", used for stuff like touching up stonechips, that might be perfect for something like this.

Ron Ketcham
12-21-2012, 04:44 PM
The little "artist brush" assortment at Walmart in the crafts section have all the brushes he needs for less than $3.

I buy em, use, never clean them, just throw them away when done using. When it works out to about 20 cents a brush and it takes 15 cents of solvent and time to clean them, why not?

C. Charles Hahn
12-21-2012, 05:59 PM
The little "artist brush" assortment at Walmart in the crafts section have all the brushes he needs for less than $3.

I buy em, use, never clean them, just throw them away when done using. When it works out to about 20 cents a brush and it takes 15 cents of solvent and time to clean them, why not?

Same here. I also use the little solvent brushes from Harbor Freight in some cases, and they work well.

The CorrosionX Rust Remover looks very similar to Evapo-Rust, which is commonly available at auto parts stores, and probably the automotive section in Wal-Mart and others as well.

SHhhhh
12-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks again for the tips. I will report back if I find anything that works. I may give Evapo-rust a shot.

AuAltima3.5
12-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Replace bolts, and coat with Corrosion X HD. Should keep it looking new.

Um, those bolts hold the two halves of the caliper together, correct? I wouldn`t take that apart unless rebuilding the caliper.

I would use some rust converter applied via a cotton swab, or plasti-dip over it. IMO, you are asking for trouble replacing those bolts.

If you do replace, please retorque per OEM specs.

Accumulator
12-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Um, those bolts hold the two halves of the caliper together, correct? I wouldn`t take that apart unless rebuilding the caliper..

My very first step would be to contact StopTech and ask them about this whole thing...from "why all the corrosion on the hardware?!?" to "how to fix it?" and tips on dis/re-assembly.

You never know, they might feel generous and send the hardware along with instructions on replacing it.