PDA

View Full Version : Best windshield care for best visibility and smooth wiper operation?

Evaporator
12-19-2012, 08:49 PM
It rains here pretty much everyday from sprinkle to pouring so, its important to have clear view for all conditions.

Wiper blades should work without streaks or chatter for all levels of rain fall.

In the past, I used a product called No Touch Glass Stripper and this product was available everywhere from department stores to auto parts store, but I can`t find it anymore more It is a simple scrub like paste that is used on windshield. Can I just use polishing cleaner meant for smooth stove cooktops?

If not, what product should I try? I`ve tried invisible glass, but it does not have the deep cleaning performance of No Touch.

The inside fogs up all the time. Any treatment you guys can recommend that is actually worthwhile and don`t cause bad sun streaks?

David Fermani
12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
I wouldn`t. I`d polish with a light polishing compound that you`d use on your paint. Wipe it down with alcohol and apply a good wax or sealant.

or...........Opti-coat

4AudiQ
12-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I use Bon Ami Cleanser. Wet the windshield, sprinkle on Bon Ami and scrub both the glass and windshield

wipers. I have found the WW don`t skip after this procedure. Use plenty of water to rinse off.

tom p.
12-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Properly aligned wiper blade arms and soft rubber are critical for perfect, smooth operation. Clean glass is a must, too, Evaporator.

911fanatic
12-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Polish with Autoglym Car Glass Polish and apply Opti Coat.

Ron Ketcham
12-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Properly aligned wiper blade arms and soft rubber are critical for perfect, smooth operation. Clean glass is a must, too, Evaporator.

Yup, and if the vehicle is in an area of the country with lots of sunshine (UV exposure), once a month wipe the rubber blades with IPA (rubbing alcohol) to remove the damaged rubber on the blades.

Lots of blades are replaced that this would take care of, extending the life of the blades.

And, apply AquaPel to the outside.

If a lot of interior fogging, check your evaporator tray of the AC, may need a good cleaning.

Scottwax
12-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Polish it and mix up ONR wash and wax, 1 oz in a 32 oz spray bottle, use that to clean your glass. Probably the cheapest option, works great.

tom p.
12-20-2012, 09:02 PM
If a lot of interior fogging, check your evaporator tray of the AC, may need a good cleaning.

..and look for coolant leak if the stuff is "greasy".

Old Man
12-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Yup, and if the vehicle is in an area of the country with lots of sunshine (UV exposure), once a month wipe the rubber blades with IPA (rubbing alcohol) to remove the damaged rubber on the blades.

Lots of blades are replaced that this would take care of, extending the life of the blades.

I try to wipe them off at the gas station when I fill up-(once a week or so).

Have you used those 303 wiper blade protectant wipes? Are they just IPA on a cloth?

CEE DOG
12-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Glass with scratches should be polished out with Ceriglass via machine but those that have simply lost their clarity can be polished with ceriglass by hand. Using a regular paint polish via machine also works as long as there is not correction needed.

To keep rain off, aquapel has been popular but it doesn`t do anything to actually help protect the glass from scratches or road rash.

Paint coatings have been used lately and ive been one to use them but it really isn`t a perfect fit and for starters the wipers remove it much faster than its durability on paint.

Rons suggestion of cleaning wipers with ipa occasionally is good and something similar to our tips for just after application of Flyby30.

Flyby30 is a coating designed specifically for glass. We`ve been working on it a long time, testing it over in rainy europe as well and its finally coming to the CarPro-US store in a week or so. Retail price will be around 11 dollars for a 20 ml, 18 dollars for a 50 ml and 18 dollars for a kit with a 20 ml, a 50ml of eraser and small bottle of ceri glass. I just tested it this weekend and application is simpler than any coating ive used.

@ fossil - 303 Aerospace Protectant wipes are not IPA. It`s actually 303 AP on a wipe but you would be better off to buy the 303 in a bottle and save some money or better yet get some carpro perl which can be diluted and is also more durable than 303 for a better price. Of course if convenience is the highest priority then those wipes would be just the ticket. I should add that if coating with Flyby30 then skip the 303, waxy washer fluid additives, etc. and stick to wiping them with IPA like Ron said.

Boston Man
12-21-2012, 08:51 AM

And, apply AquaPel to the outside.

I knew I wasnt crazy. I tell people to use IPA, they say, "no, it eats the rubber!" I say, that`s what it is supposed to do. Take a "layer" off like polishing paint. But I had no proof of this, it was just my reasoning of why IPA worked.

My original blades lasted 3 years doing this. My current blades are on their 3rd year, starting to fail.

Legacy
12-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Polish with Autoglym Car Glass Polish and apply Opti Coat.

Didn`t Chris advise not to use OC on glass?

Scottwax
12-21-2012, 04:23 PM

I think he said more that its a waste to use it on the windshield because the wipers will eventually wear it off where they pass over the glass.

911fanatic
12-21-2012, 04:41 PM

They advise not to on the label as leaving high spots could distort your vision but if you are half way competent, it`s a non issue. Yes, eventually it will wear off from the wipers but given that it will still last a long time and you already have it out, why not?

Evaporator
12-21-2012, 08:28 PM
I couldn`t find any No Touch brand paste, but found some Rain-X brand windshield/headlight polish.

It is used just like the No Touch. Rub into glass in circular motion and rinse off. After this, should I use a sealant? Can I use Opti-Seal? I have Opti-Seal, but not Opti-Coat.