PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Steam Pros

mbs431
11-30-2012, 10:08 AM
I will be picking up the Dupray Hill Injection in the Spring. It will be used for mostly interiors and engine bays. But I am curious. Is this machine capable of ridding paint/exhaust tips of caked on tar and tree sap?

Richard Grasa
11-30-2012, 12:32 PM
I`m interested in this as well. I have a small steamer that is great for interiors but it doesn`t touch really tough stuff. Is it worth upgrading to a bigger steamer?

mbs, what`s the price tag on the Dupray system?

Accumulator
11-30-2012, 01:05 PM
mbs431- I wouldn`t really call myself a "steam pro", but...

What`re the specs on that Dupray unit? It can be a clearcut yes/no thing with steamers, where a bit more psi/temp. makes the difference between being able to do something and not, and sometimes small differences are significant.

C. Charles Hahn
11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
I have a Hill Injection; at its highest pressure setting it can blast through tar but if we`re talking about a thick layer it can be slow going. Your best bet would be to let the steam soften the gunk up and follow up with a plastic razor blade and a clean towel.

C. Charles Hahn
11-30-2012, 01:23 PM
mbs431- I wouldn`t really call myself a "steam pro", but...

What`re the specs on that Dupray unit? It can be a clearcut yes/no thing with steamers, where a bit more psi/temp. makes the difference between being able to do something and not, and sometimes small differences are significant.

Well, I just went to Dupray`s site to pull the specs and made an interesting/unfortunate discovery. Looks as though they`ve recently come out with new/revised models of their steamers, and the Hill Injection is no longer as powerful as the old model like I have. It now runs at 121psi and 345F max temp, while my older unit runs at 378F max temp (same output pressure).

At least they dropped the price a bit though.

JohnKleven
11-30-2012, 01:44 PM
We have an Optima Steamer which I think is fairly comparable. It knocks out tar pretty easily with a quick follow up of a microfiber towel.

mbs431
11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Rich, the hill injection is $2,995 retail. They have been running a special on it for a few months though but the price keeps jumping all over the place. I`ve seen it at $2400, $1999, now it`s at $2099.

Accumulator
12-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Well, I just went to Dupray`s site to pull the specs... It now runs at 121psi and 345F max temp...

Those are (still) quite impressive specs.

jose206
12-02-2012, 09:07 PM
I also own the dupray Hill Injection and find it has enough pressure for everything ive thrown at it. If I had to do it over again I would have just bought some of the older versions they throw on ebay every now and then for $1400 or so.