PDA

View Full Version : Where the money is REALLY at in this business.??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

imported_Automania
11-29-2012, 10:29 AM
We continuously talk about products, equipment, processes etc... but not about where the money is really at in this business...

bryan
11-29-2012, 10:30 AM
We continuously talk about products, equipment, processes etc... but not about where the money is really at in this business...

volume......

JohnKleven
11-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Retail volume is where it`s at. I think it`s also important to diversify your business and offer clear bra and window tint.

RaskyR1
11-29-2012, 11:41 AM
I heard all the money is in Barry`s account.....

Barry Theal
11-29-2012, 02:08 PM
I heard all the money is in Barry`s account.....

I think you confused me with Todd Cooperider!

Jean-Claude
11-29-2012, 05:10 PM
I personally think a better question is where in the industry can you enjoy going to work every day and still make a good income?

gmblack3
11-29-2012, 05:26 PM
For those who dont have a shop or want to hire employees: One steps and coatings. Upselling glass and wheels with the coating is icing on the cake.

Perfections
11-29-2012, 09:19 PM
I would have to guess it would be close to impossible to make 6 figures detailing by yourself right?

By yourself almost impossible, even in a great market, if you limit yourself to only detailing that is.

David Fermani
11-29-2012, 09:31 PM
volume......

10000000% The only people bringing down big money is the ones doing volume work.

The more cars you detail, the more you make. Hire good people that do the grunt work so you can run the business and grow it.

Dealer work IMHO is probably the most repetitive. Dealers send work out when it`s raining and snowing where if you cater to retail work it can be weather driven. It`s always nice to have a steady mix of both.

Concours.John
11-29-2012, 09:37 PM
By yourself almost impossible, even in a great market, if you limit yourself to only detailing that is.

I can agree here. Once you have a shop you`re constantly there. Sleeping at the shop and 70 hour weeks are the norm not the exception. Then you have to pay people to take care of your house, yardwork, maintenance, etc.. Those are expenses that you didn`t have when you were capable and had the time to do the work. This is definitely a field in order to make good money you need extra bodies.

I am fortunate that I`m capable to do restoration work in the winter to offset the lack of detailing but I am still swamped.

David Fermani
11-29-2012, 09:53 PM
I know of a few people that have made $100K/yr, but it took alot of work. Like John said, the more time you put into making extra money doing things yourself, the more non-business expenses will increase. And let`s not even consider the effect on your family. To make $100K, you gotta be charging alot of money, working constantly and scoring big jobs on a regular basis. You`re body is going to take a toll eventually and then what?

Ron Ketcham
11-29-2012, 10:05 PM
I know of a few people that have made $100K/yr, but it took alot of work. Like John said, the more time you put into making extra money doing things yourself, the more non-business expenses will increase. And let`s not even consider the effect on your family. To make $100K, you gotta be charging alot of money, working constantly and scoring big jobs on a regular basis. You`re body is going to take a toll eventually and then what?

Yup!, and I will add this.

It`s called being able to "conduct/operate a business", which in order to grow and make profits, require that one is not just good at the "physical or technical" portion of the day to day labor, and it`s results.

One must get away from "I am good at this part" and move on to "what does it take to run a business", gather about finances to operate the business, maintain the operation, be aware that to make a profit requires "volume of services", which then requires one to put aside "their way is the only way" and learn to move that to a "process/procedure" which may be duplicated by employee`s which will produce the end product.

Ego`s are important, but have to be under control by the person who successfully operates the "business".

Training of employee`s of a set and successful process/procedure is just one part of the path to success, but a big part.

Then, how to market the business, grow the business, keep the expenses under control, pay the overhead, the taxes, know when to keep and when to release those employee`s who are not productive or disruptive to the business.

Need I go on, well, there is more to consider, to address, and as shown by the massive failure of start up businesses, most may have a passion, but lack business abilites.

AND-in a short time, they are out of business and broke on their butts.

Grumpy

gmblack3
11-29-2012, 10:35 PM

Just need to do 3x one step polishing and OG jobs a week at $700 per. :)

Jean-Claude
11-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Just need to do 3x one step polishing and OG jobs a week at $700 per. :)

For gross $2.1k per week. Though, OG isn`t that much.

Richard Grasa
11-30-2012, 08:32 AM
IMO, if you`re a one person operation or maybe just have one helper, coatings such as OC are the way to go. If you want to run the business and have others do the work, it`s all about the volume.