PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need megs 205 after 105?

bonky
11-25-2012, 12:10 AM
I am removing swirls and heavy scratches off my Honda. Currently, I am using the Porter cable with the orange pad and Megs 105. It is doing such a good job removing the scratches and swirls. I was just wondering if I wound need to finish it off with the Megs 205. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

chrisguga
11-25-2012, 12:26 AM
You`ll notice a definite difference in the clarity and darkness of the paint (if it`s dark colored paint, of course) after finishing with a polishing pad and 205.

I just did a detail on a `69 Chevelle that`s black. I thought it would be a 1-step deal, but it was too swirled up for a 1 step. I hit it with a microfiber pad and M101 which finishes better than just about any compound and I still noticed a significant difference when finishing with a foam polishing pad and HD Polish.

Nth Degree
11-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Need? No. Not sure what color you are working with but in most cases the final finish will look better with a finishing polish. 105 is likely leaving a little haze from the thousands of tiny scratches left behind. It is possible to get a better finish with 105 by using a softer pad.

bonky
11-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the responses. The color of the car is silver. Any advice on what pad I should go with for the 205? I was thinking using the white pad.

Nth Degree
11-25-2012, 02:46 AM
White pad is fine. Silver hides a lot, so I understand why you don`t notice the haze so much. It really will add more depth with the finishing polish.

mikemurphy234
11-25-2012, 10:46 AM
To me the quick answer is yes. If the orange pad and 105 are cutting out "heavy" scratches then that combo is also very capable of leaving a lot of DA hazing. Did you do a few IPA wipes and check it in the sun? I ask because DA haze can be effectively hidden by the "oils" in a compound and by garage lighting.

Just recently a poster on another forum used the same combo your using but he finished with a "finishing polish" that was really a chemical paint cleaner/polish with a black pad. The hazing was so bad after using it that he thought the finishing polish induced the hazing because it looked so good before he used it.

It shouldn`t take too long to run around the car with 205 and you don`t need a long working cycle to get good results with it.

Hope this helps.

Accumulator
11-26-2012, 12:59 PM
While a few people here can finish out with M105 (Hi, Barry! :wavey), I`ve never been able to get it 100% in all forms of lighting (especially not under the SunGun). And I`m talking hard (silver) Audis and my white Crown Vic.

Heh heh...I`m not always satisfied with the finish M205 leaves, not by a long shot, even on those same "easy colors".

LilJayV10
11-26-2012, 08:51 PM
In my experience(which is limited) if you have a really hard clear coat the Megs 105 doesn`t leave much micro marring(compared to most other paints) IMO its still a good idea to go back over it with a white pad/M205 to give it more clarity.

chrisguga
11-27-2012, 12:49 AM
As someone mentioned, you don`t have to spend much time or put much effort into running around the car quickly with a foam polishing pad and a polish. 2 light horizontal and 2 light vertical passes per section will generally do it.

I wish I had taken a picture of that Chevelle with a 50/50 shot showing the hazed side vs the perfect finish of the HD Polished side.