View Full Version : Window grime/build up.

Pages : [1] 2

jam3s121
11-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Hey guys, I just got my 99 Audi A4 back from the body shop after getting some body work done, I was backed into at a local shopping center.. ended up getting a repainted front bumper, fresh painted hood, fender and headlights.

Anyways after I got home i realized the windshield was really dirty, I usually just use stoner invisible glass cleaner and tried it with a microfiber. As i was cleaning it with the microfiber you could hear the towel going against something, like against the grain. The windshield isn`t sticky in terms of actually being sticky but thats the best way to describe it, theres something on my windshield that just won`t come off. Cleaning with stoner glass cleaner and it seems like theres a invisible layer between whats dirty and my actual windshield.

I did have a light coat of rain x on my car prior to getting my car back, I had applied it in april and tried to take most of it off cause it looked like crap IMO. I think that would explain why the stoner cleaner is not penetrating the window, because you can tell its not. I think the windshield wasn`t covered up when my car was getting painted or something and some chemicals got on to the top of it, and because it was on the light layer of rain x glass cleaner isn`t penetrating.

Are there any products I can try to use? I was looking at permatex no touch glass striper, its recommended by a lot of people for rain-x removal but I can`t seem to find it anywhere. I`ve tried warm dawn dish soap in a small area, didn`t really help.

Would claying the car possibly work? I don`t have a clay kit currently but the rear of my car needs it, I absulotely love how smooth feeling the front of my car is.

here`s how she looks (ignore water marks on the headlights and below the hood.. it rained the day before i picked it up and i don`t think the guy buffed em out.

http://i.imgur.com/Aitnl.jpg

Richard Grasa
11-19-2012, 06:42 PM
It`s overspray from them not covering the windshield properly. Clay should take care of it unless it`s really thick. If it`s too thick to clay off, you should be able to use some lacquer thinner, just don`t get the thinner on your paint or anything else. If that doesn`t do it, you may have to resort to blading it off with a razor. I would never condone using a razor on your paint, but on glass I do it all the time with no problems, just make sure it`s well lubricated with some QD and use light pressure with the blade. But try the clay first, it`s the safest option.

jam3s121
11-19-2012, 06:49 PM
That would make sense... like i said it feels like some sort of film, when I had rain x on the car you could not tell you were rubbing the windshield with rain x on it. With this its like you are rubbing against something.

Should I just pick up any old claybar like the meguiars ones I can find in a lot of stores near by? I think those are "mild" correct me if I`m wrong. I see you`re in milford, Ct. I should just pay you guys to detail the whole rear of my car :) I`m in monroe, ct

Richard Grasa
11-19-2012, 07:25 PM
That would make sense... like i said it feels like some sort of film, when I had rain x on the car you could not tell you were rubbing the windshield with rain x on it. With this its like you are rubbing against something.

Should I just pick up any old claybar like the meguiars ones I can find in a lot of stores near by? I think those are "mild" correct me if I`m wrong. I see you`re in milford, Ct. I should just pay you guys to detail the whole rear of my car :) I`m in monroe, ct

The Southbury K-mart sells Clay Magic clay for a good price, though I can`t remember if they have the different grades or just the mild. Actually, I`m in New Milford, not Milford, so even closer to Monroe. If you are interested in setting something up, feel free to give me a call tomorrow or shoot me a PM.

jam3s121
11-19-2012, 07:27 PM
The Southbury K-mart sells Clay Magic clay for a good price, though I can`t remember if they have the different grades or just the mild. Actually, I`m in New Milford, not Milford, so even closer to Monroe. If you are interested in setting something up, feel free to give me a call tomorrow or shoot me a PM.

Would it be better to get something stronger than mild? I know the napa and autozones near me pretty much carry the mild versions of whatever mothers/megiuars offer. I really want to get this stuff off my windshield but I have a feeling to do my car I`ll just have someone else do it because i doubt its ever been done.

Richard Grasa
11-19-2012, 07:39 PM
I`d just go with whatever you can get your hands on. If the overspray doesn`t come off glass with mild clay, it`s not likely it`s going to come off with more aggressive clay either. As long as it`s not so thick you can`t see through it, mild clay should take it off.

EDIT: Anyone with more experience claying overspray off glass, please chime in if you think something more aggressive would make a difference. IME, it prob won`t, but I don`t do much claying on glass.

jam3s121
11-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks, I`m going to go ahead and just buy a kit then and hopefully it will come off. My friend said I could try steel wool for overspray (he used to work at a body shop and now powder coats) so maybe i`ll try that.

Barry Theal
11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Just buy 0000 grade steel wool. Don`t waste your money on clay for glass.

Ron Ketcham
11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Rich, no disagreement here, it`s bodyshop overspray and any clay, used properly, will resolve his issue.

Grumpy

jam3s121
11-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks for all the quick replies guys really appreciate it. I might just try the 0000 steel wool because its like 5 bucks at home depot vs 20 bucks for a clay kit.

Richard Grasa
11-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Just buy 0000 grade steel wool. Don`t waste your money on clay for glass.

Barry, do you use the steel wool straight, or do you lube it up? Very cool advice, this is the first I`ve heard of it. Learn something new here every day.

jam3s121
11-19-2012, 08:18 PM
found this video with the steel wool, pretty interesting that it won`t scratch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D05vX-G9iV4

IHA Mark
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Going with the consensus here, clay should do the trick. Sounds like you have some overspray issue. Even Auto Zone, K-Mart, and Wal-Mart carry clay kits. Should solve your problem.

jam3s121
11-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah, definitely overspray. After googling more about dirty windshields and people getting body work done it seems like its a pretty common occurrence.

On another note, I have a freshly painted hood, bumper, two fenders, and one door. Should I be adding any product to protect this? I picked up my car on friday the 16th.

jam3s121
11-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Just reporting back. Mothers clay kit worked perfectly.. although after doing the front and back windshield the clay started feeling pretty brittle.