PDA

View Full Version : If you only......

Pages : [1] 2

Barry Theal
11-18-2012, 10:21 AM
If you only had four tools for detailing what would they be? In this case Chemicals or water is not considered a tool. I thought this would be great to hear. Here is my list. Also What is one tool you could live with out? Also If you had to give up one tool from your list what would it be?

My must haves.

1. Air Compressor

2. Pressure Washer

3. Shop Vac.

4. Rupes Big Foot

I could live without a shop vac or any vacuuming device if I had to.

Rx79394
11-18-2012, 10:37 AM
I could live without a shop vac or any vacuuming device if I had to.

How would you get all the dirt and crud out from the inside of a car!

Barry Theal
11-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Masking tape, I would use the compressed air to get it all in one area then pick it up with masking tape.

Accumulator
11-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Hmmm..four, huh?

1) foamgun

2) BHB

3) GG 6" RO (or the Rupes if I had one ;) )

4) floorjack

Dan
11-18-2012, 03:51 PM
1. Pressure Washer

2. Shop Vac

3. GG6

4. Highline II

David Fermani
11-18-2012, 04:00 PM
My must haves.

1. Air Compressor

2. Pressure Washer

3. Shop Vac.

4. DA Polisher

5. Leaf Blower

imported_Automania
11-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Festool FEQ 150/Rupes Big Foot

Wet dry vacuum

Air Compressor

Air Brush

IHA Mark
11-18-2012, 06:59 PM
1. Shop vac

2. DA polisher

3. Air compressor

4. Tornador gun? :)

I don`t really know after the first three, I use almost exclusively ONR so don`t really use high pressure, foam, or a leaf blower much.

Accumulator
11-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Hey, let`s discuss compressors, since that piece of equipment is showing up on many lists-

Regulars here know I`m all about my air compressor, but I didn`t list it because one *could* maybe get by with just an air TANK, filled at a gas station. And I know a lot of people who simply don`t use one (see below). What do ya think?

I`m assuming (uh-oh... :o ) that most people use `em primarily for blowing water out of nooks and crannies (something a vacuum might do OK for), doing interiors (something I generally do *NOT* use mine for :grinno: ), and cleaning pads, right?

Seems like I know an *amazing* number of people who don`t own compressors; I don`t know how they get by without one, but I always try to talk them into at least getting a tank (Harbor Freight perhaps...). I mean, whatcha gonna do when you have to fill a tire on something?!? Call AAA? More like they`ll call me :rolleyes:

IHA Mark
11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I would not be as good of detailer without an air compressor. Its uses seem endless...

1. Drying out engines

2. Nooks and crannies

3. Under seats/interior nooks and crannies

4. Tornador gun... buy it, use it, love it

5. Cleaning pads... only thing better is a sink with dawn, a brush, and a loooong time scrubbing. Obviously not possible while actually detailing.

Anyone who does not use an air compressor is not a lessor detailer, but simply missing out on a valuable tool that makes your job faster, easier, and simpler.

RaskyR1
11-19-2012, 02:58 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head, Barry!

Pressure washer

D/A

Shop Vac

Air Compressor

If I could have 5...Scissor lift! Wouldn`t want to be without it now

I could also do without the Shop-Vac as I don`t do to many interior jobs now days. If I excluded that I`d probably add the Bigfoot to the list as I`m not sure it could function as the sole polisher.

Hey, let`s discuss compressors, since that piece of equipment is showing up on many lists-

Regulars here know I`m all about my air compressor, but I didn`t list it because one *could* maybe get by with just an air TANK, filled at a gas station. And I know a lot of people who simply don`t use one (see below). What do ya think?

I`m assuming (uh-oh... :o ) that most people use `em primarily for blowing water out of nooks and crannies (something a vacuum might do OK for), doing interiors (something I generally do *NOT* use mine for :grinno: ), and cleaning pads, right?

Seems like I know an *amazing* number of people who don`t own compressors; I don`t know how they get by without one, but I always try to talk them into at least getting a tank (Harbor Freight perhaps...). I mean, whatcha gonna do when you have to fill a tire on something?!? Call AAA? More like they`ll call me :rolleyes:

I actually tried doing that a couple times one summer when I had my father doing body work in the shop and I detailed out of the other garage....I`d say it a big NO for me! I ended up stringing a couple air hoses together to reach the other garage as the 10lb tank I have just wasn`t doing it. ;)

I did work out well on a motorcycle though. :)

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/128975-2002-yamha-r1-spring-detail-raskys-auto-detailing.html

Barry Theal
11-19-2012, 03:01 PM
My must haves.

1. Air Compressor

2. Pressure Washer

3. Shop Vac.

4. DA Polisher

5. Leaf Blower

Thats five homeboy!!! Get rid of one, David I would love to hear your detailed thought behind your picks.

JohnKleven
11-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Thats five homeboy!!! Get rid of one, David I would love to hear your detailed thought behind your picks.

The Air Compressor can take place of the leaf blower, and a rotary polisher can take the place of a da ;)

RaskyR1
11-19-2012, 04:17 PM
The Air Compressor can take place of the leaf blower, and a rotary polisher can take the place of a da ;)

John have you had seat time on any of the Rupes yet? Think you`re ready to set the rotary down for a while? :nod:

Accumulator
11-20-2012, 12:59 PM
... a rotary polisher can take the place of a da ;)

Only in the hands of somebody with *your* skills, as opposed to, say.....mine :o