PDA

View Full Version : Here`s a few questions for those who do boats/yachts, what do you charge for?

Ron Ketcham
11-14-2012, 07:47 PM
29 foot SeaRay, built in 1989, all white gel coat with tape stripes on top and sides, some "checked", some not, upper decks very heavy oxidation of gel coat, sides, just slightly chalked, a few "gel coat" nicks to be filled and worked out to fit surface.

What would you charge to do the following.

1. Repair 10 small gel coat nicks in sides.

2. Remove all old tape decal stripping.

3. Buff out and remove heavy oxidation on top sides and chalk from sides.

4. Replace the decal stripping on the boat.

5. Apply a protective polymer sealant to the boat once all work is completed.

So, what would you charge, how would you remove the oxidation, how many hours, remove the stripping and purchase and apply new stripes?

I have no problem sources the new stripes, I have no real problem in addressing the oxidation, the nicks, etc.

Just curious what those here would do and how would they price the complete job?

At least this is thread is more than "what is the best and etc new product", etc.

Think it out, let`s hear from all who do boats/yachts.

Grumpy

Jpostal
11-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Up until this spring I worked on boats fairly often. I have no experience with gel repair but I can maybe help on the rest of it.

Removing the stripe could take as little as maybe an hour, but I have also ran into decals that refuse to come off. The sanding, compounding, etc for oxidization removal is what will take the most time. I would guess that you will need at least 15 hours but thats probably real low...if I had to quote it on a flat rate I would plan on maybe 30 hours plus whatever the time for gel coat repair and strip removal.

Ron Ketcham
11-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Not "a" stripe, but several, one at water line, one just below gunel`s, one above gunels on cabin, one on top of bow area and one up the strutt that goes over the command deck.

Most are a double stripe, and once removed and buffing/polishing done, re-apply new stripes, then a final sealant.

Gel coats nick repair is probably the easiest of all the job.

I thank you, am keeping a labor log of hours, materials, and would like more input so when it is done, can share with what I am finding for actual time, plus I have already picked up a few time saving tips I will share.

Thanks again,

Let`s keep it coming!

VCMike
12-04-2012, 01:06 AM
$2500-$3000. 2 guys and 2, possibly 3 days. If they price check you have them contact Searay for the price of the boot stripe(waterline). It`s almost $700 just for that. Although it depends highly on the oxidation level of the boat, that should be a pretty good number. Pad it a little as to never know with the stripes. I did one earlier this year that took over 9 hours to remove the stripes/residue.. with 2 guys. Better to tell them it`ll be a little higher in price and then lower it depending on difficulty that to lose your *** and lose money. We do a few complete reconditions a year as well as our normal marine details, you`ll sleep really well that`s for sure. If you need any help/suggestions feel free to PM me.

Ron Ketcham
12-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I have to be honest, did boats for years. (Sales Manager Finish Kare-Big White Marine-Automotive and Mold Release from 87 until 95)

The owners don`t want the stock stripes, found the color and size they want, for under $200.00, my cost.

I am retired, and belong to two boat/yacht clubs these days, folks realized that with my background in the car care, mold release and marine products I could answer some of their questions.

One thing lead to another and at 68 (soon 69) have this one, plus three other boats to do, have until April to get them done.

All will require some "gel coat" nic repair, etc, media blasting the lower units to remove the corrosion, remenants of zebra muscles, then refinish. etc.

What I am hoping to do is find a good younger person of mid 30`s to mid 40`s, who will "work", and teach them how to do this sort of work.

The stripes are all removed, 80% of the buffing and polishing is done.

At this point I have 12 hours in the job, and should be finished with that part in another 4 hours.

The invoice for that part is $800.00

Gel coat nic repair will be $300.00

Blasting and cromate with high solid urethane on the lower unit will be $250.00

Stripes and application will be $450.00

Net after cost of materials will be right at $1,600.00

Nice thing is that they are all inside the boat storage buildings and I only work on a boat for 2 to 3 hours a day.

Old fart, you know.

Grumpy