PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Friendly LSP`s

IHA Mark
11-13-2012, 08:24 PM
This is going to be my first year doing a LOT of detailing in really cold weather, and I`m finding that some products work much better than others in cold weather.

So far I have found that Meguiar`s Ultimate Paste Wax, and Opti-Seal work really good in cold weather, whereas POXY just refuses to cure in a reasonable amount of time in the cold. Even SPEED needs a few minutes of setting time before being wiped off when it is less than 50 outside.

For mobile folks that do a reasonable amount of cold weather work, what works/doesn`t work in the cold for you?

Feel free to chime in with thoughts on compounds/polishes as well.

David Fermani
11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
I have yet to detail in any extreme (cold) weather. I can imagine that there would certainly be a challenge with this too. I know some products are designed to perform well under high temps, but are not familar with any that are intended for cold climates? Opti-Seal would certainly be one that I`d try, but not so sure about polishes?

Can you incorporate a torpedo/space heater into your details? If you can get the temps to above say 55 degrees I don`t think you`ll have that many issues.

IHA Mark
11-13-2012, 10:46 PM
I don`t take it indoors unless I am under freezing. I did a Ford Expedition today and I think the high was 51. :scared:

When I have to use a heater it is purely to keep it above freezing.

Richard Grasa
11-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Collinite 845 works very well as you don`t have to let it haze before you wipe it off. For compound/polish I have found Opt Hyper to work well in the cold.

Dan
11-14-2012, 09:02 AM
I`ve found most products have a really hard time when you get under 50. The high solvent ones seem to do the best, stuff like Megs #16 and the liquid collinites.