PDA

View Full Version : New Mobile Detailer - Insurance Woes

Pages : [1] 2

Magoo6541
11-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Hello Everyone.

I`m starting out on my own in the detailing world. A little background as this is my first post... I`m a fire fighter so I`ll be doing this on my days off. One day, several months ago, I was detailing my vehicle at the station and I thought how great it would be to do this part time. For the last couple of months it`s been in the back of my mine and last weekend, I said screw it and purchased most of what I`ll need to do this. I still have a couple loose ends to tie up but for the most part, I`m ready.

I`m adamant about having a legitimate business with business licenses, insurance ect ect. I took today off from my current p/t job to get my licenses, bank account and a couple other things done... Doh! I forgot it was Veterans Day. So the only thing I could do was shop for company polo shirts and get some insurance. I`m having a problem finding anyone who will cover mobile detailing though. I`ve talked to several national and local insurance companies who will not insure a business without an actual store front... Which is funny because several years ago, my landscape company was easily insured. My buddies moving company and pressure washing business is insured and none of them have a store front. Maybe it`s because it`s detailing w/o a store front??

Anyway, can someone point me in the direction of a insurance company that insures mobile detailing?

Thanks!

Nth Degree
11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Welcome! Where are you located?

PM sent.

Insurance for a start-up in this business can be tough. Good Luck.

Magoo6541
11-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks!

Just outside of Hilton Head Is SC

I`m learning that. I`ve talked to 8 agents so far. Some say outright that they can`t cover and a couple are getting back to me but are doubtful.

Jean-Claude
11-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Safeco

Thank me later. ;)

SeaJays
11-13-2012, 08:14 AM
I actually operated for a year and half without insurance because I had the same issues. I manage to get one quote but it was outrageous ($3200). Now that I have been operating for 2 years and have gotten some high end cars on my client list I decided I needed to get insurance. I ended up finding a local company that would insure me for exactly what I needed for only $1,100. Which is still more than I really wanted to spend but was the best quote I could find for the coverage I wanted.

I`m also a fully mobile detailer with no store front. I ended up calling about 15 different places when it was all said and done. Apparently a lot of mobile detailers operate without insurance.

KenAllwine
11-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Welcome! Where are you located?

PM sent.

Insurance for a start-up in this business can be tough. Good Luck.

Could you send me information as well? I am also in the start up phase.

Nth Degree
11-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Could you send me information as well? I am also in the start up phase.

Done. Good Luck.

Magoo6541
11-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Safeco

Thank me later. ;)

I checked out their site and it turns out, that`s one of the companies I`m waiting to hear back from.

Thanks

IHA Mark
11-13-2012, 05:39 PM
I have my insurance through Liberty. I have

Commercial liability

Commercial unowned auto

Garage keeper`s liability

Costs me around $900 a year.

I also have a commercial auto policy. Costs around $1100 a year.

David Fermani
11-13-2012, 08:25 PM
I`ve never knew that insuring a start up business was that difficult. So many other businesses can get insurance, what makes detailing so different? There`s got to be a couple companies that cater to this niche?

Richard Grasa
11-13-2012, 08:42 PM
I went with State Farm and had absolutely no trouble getting my policy. I`m also not sure what the issue would be with getting insured.

EDIT: Sorry, didn`t read the OP`s post closely enough. I had my shop when I started my policy. The agent did come by and take pics of the storefront. I`m not sure if I would have had a problem if I was mobile at the time.

David Fermani
11-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Don`t they rate your premiums based on your sales / payroll?

Richard Grasa
11-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Don`t they rate your premiums based on your sales / payroll?

No, they only based mine on how much coverage I wanted.

David Fermani
11-13-2012, 09:14 PM
I was audited back in the day and they wanted to see my payroll and sales records. I was under the impression these figures gave an idea of my exposure levels.

IHA Mark
11-14-2012, 02:32 PM
When I called for my insurance, they just wanted to know how much coverage I wanted, regardless of sales. I guess they thought if I needed more coverage I would buy more. :nixweiss