PDA

View Full Version : Applying KSG

macconinc
11-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Can I apply KSG to my entire car before wiping and buffing out?

Thanks

Accumulator
11-11-2012, 03:27 PM
While some people prefer the Wipe On Wipe Off ("W-O-W-O") method, I apply to the whole vehicle and then buff off, often waiting quite a while between application and buff-off (I`ve even waited overnight when the shop was nice and clean, and once experimented with waiting for several days with zero issues).

I do recommend fogging the surface with your breath when buffing, the little bit of moisture in the condensation helps make things go easier. And remember, THIN THIN THIN; if you can easily see the KSG on the panel you applied too much.

I do recommend sticking with W-O-W-O when applying it to trim though.

scottabir
11-11-2012, 07:06 PM
i agree 100%

JohnZ3MC
11-12-2012, 03:00 AM
If you`re really, really old, you don`t want to do the breathing on the surface to provide a bit of moisture. You`ll pass out.

Using Accumulator`s trick, it once took me 14 hrs to just buff my hood.

So, I started using one of those little mister spritz bottles. The type that makes mist, not a water shower spritz.

With the little mister bottle, it only takes a few seconds to buff my hood now so you might want to store one of those little mister bottles on the shelf right next to the KSG.

imported_MCA
11-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Fortunately, I have a garage so I have flexibility on how i apply/remove KSG...I wouldn`t do the following if my car had to sit outside in the elements....

I apply KSG and let it sit overnight (in my garage). In the morning, I use either Sonus Acrylic Glanz, AJT, or Zaino Z6 like a normal QD and wipe off the dried KSG with a plush MF towel. It`s relatively painless and quick, probably adds yet another layer of protection, and minimizes the need to "scrub" the paint if you applied KSG a little too thick. I repeat these steps 2 or 3 times over the next few weeks and I am pretty much set for the next 6-8 months.

KSG and Zaino are my preferred toppers for my minivan. The weather in Dallas fluctuates between mild and ridiculously hot so I really have no excuse not to detail my vehicles year-round...I just hate detailing the Sienna.

Accumulator
11-12-2012, 12:11 PM
macconinc- Hey, I forgot to mention the importance of layering the KSG. IMO if you`re only doing one or two layers of it you`d be better off with one application of something like Collinite or FK000P or maybe even Poxy. The forte of KSG is in how it layers.

If you`re really, really old, you don`t want to do the breathing on the surface to provide a bit of moisture. You`ll pass out..

Old like my late father, who was doing his weights and cardio good and hard when in his upper 80s? Not to mention helping me detail his vehicles! Sorry sorry, just teasin`, not intended as a real :boink: Heh heh heh, just couldn`t resist messing with ya :chuckle:

But seriously, doesn`t the sprayer make for a *thicker* application? I get a few drops on the applicator for pretty large areas and I`d think that even the finest mist would use more :think: I know that method is popular, but I somehow have trouble seeing how you could do it really thin.

KSG and Zaino are my preferred toppers for my minivan. The weather in Dallas fluctuates between mild and ridiculously hot so I really have no excuse not to detail my vehicles year-round...I just hate detailing the Sienna.

Eh, I`m like that with *all* my vehicles, even the ones I simply love; if I could avoid detailing altogether I`d be a happier guy.

Just FWIW, and noting the above comment, I`ve switched from my heavily-layered KSG (six coats or more) to FK1000P (two, *maybe* three coats, with the additional ones done after regularly-scheduled washes) and I`m actually getting *better* protection/durability than I did with the KSG! Sure didn`t expect that but the change has greatly simplified things for me. Not that there aren`t some advantages to the KSG, including the way it leaves a thick (and pretty tough) build-film of plasticy protection if you do enough layers (good marring-resistance).