PDA

View Full Version : Do All MF`s lint?

jw
11-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Can someone recommend me a microber that doesn`t lint? I bought some nice ones some time ago from a few different sites and have noticed when I use a quick detailer or when i`m removing wax that there is always some linting left behind. This is very frustrating. Any help?

Thomas Dekany
11-08-2012, 03:56 AM
The towels John Kleven sells will not disappoint you.

togwt
11-08-2012, 04:33 AM
The first thing you should do when you get a new micro fibre towel is to wash and dry it. Most towels are washed several times by the manufacturer to remove excess dye and any contaminants from the air and machinery. Unfortunately, this leaves the towel looking limp and used. So, manufacturers then "size" the towel to make it look more attractive and new again. This "sizing" process uses a starch and silicone mixture that will scratch and contaminate your paint finish. There will also be a number of loose threads that, while they cause no harm, can be annoying the first time you use the towel.

Some towel manufacturer’s use a chemical to make the fabric soft, theses chemicals should be removed by washing It is very important to was new towels before they are used for the first time.

Only use liquid detergents; never use dry detergents as many times the granules do not fully dissolve and become trapped in the towel. This can cause scratching of the surface you are cleaning. (See also Micro fibre Care)

Accumulator
11-08-2012, 01:01 PM
IME *all* MFs eventually leave some amount of lint behind. With any luck, it won`t happen for a while, but sooner or later....just the nature of the stuff IMO.

Ron Ketcham
11-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Air compressor!

Grumpy

Accumulator
11-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Air compressor!

Grumpy

Eh, the static-effect stymies my efforts to blow the lint off :( I`m thinking specifically of the plush MF drying towels from Walmart that tom p. turned me on to, they drive me nuts in this regard and no matter how high I turn up the psi I can`t get that [stuff] off. The gold Pinnacle MF mitts I thought would be great for post-wash QDing are the same way, and don`t get me going about the lint from Shamrocks!