PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare paint to work with.

dynamic73
11-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I`m working on polishing my car for a up coming show in 2 days. My car has been repainted. The clear is very soft and very hard to wipe down without marring. It polishes out just fine. But when I do a final wash with ONR. I end up with nice big marring lines. That are probably coming from the edges of my microfiber towels. Last year when I went to the show. I just polished out the car and didn`t do a wipe down. So I ended up without even putting any wax or sealant on it. How important is it to do a final wipe down. After a final polish with M205. I going to be using wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant 3.0. I going to try to polish it again tomorrow. I can probably find some different microfiber towels. That won`t mar the surface. But what is best to do the final wipe down with? Is it absolutely necessary to do a wipe down after the final polish? I`ve been working on this car for 2 weeks now. It getting really frustrating. I hate my paint. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

911fanatic
11-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Sounds like your towels may be suspect. What are you using?

dynamic73
11-01-2012, 11:03 PM
I was using some waffle weave towels and the big green microfiber towels from Autoqeek. The edges of the big green towels from Auotqeek are unraveling. That`s why I said I was going to switch to some other towels I have.

911fanatic
11-02-2012, 12:11 AM
There are lots of very good towels available for use o your paint. Pak Shak sells probably the most highly regarded towels available. A wee bit pricey, unless you really enjoy polishing your car over and over. :)

Accumulator
11-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I`m working on polishing my car for a up coming show in 2 days. My car has been repainted. The clear is very soft and very hard to wipe down without marring. It polishes out just fine. But when I do a final wash with ONR. I end up with nice big marring lines...

I get marring when I do ONR washes, but not when the vehicle is basically clean (as it`d be after the correction). But if the clear is that soft, I`d be especially leery of ONRing it.

That are probably coming from the edges of my microfiber towels...

Fold the towels so the edging doesn`t contact the paint.

.. How important is it to do a final wipe down. After a final polish with M205. I going to be using wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant 3.0.. Is it absolutely necessary to do a wipe down after the final polish?..

M205 leaves a [boat]-load of oils behind, I wouldn`t expect most sealants to respond well to that. I *always* do a lot of stripping after using M205 if I`m using anything other than a carnauba, and I do mean a lot.

You could always use an LSP that bonds OK to those oils; I`ve gone straight from M205 to a wax before, but there can sometimes be a bit of a change as the oils gradually dissipate (probably won`t happen until long after the show).

I going to try to polish it again tomorrow. I can probably find some different microfiber towels. That won`t mar the surface. But what is best to do the final wipe down with? I`ve been working on this car for 2 weeks now. It getting really frustrating. I hate my paint. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

I too use PakShak MFs, no problems but I don`t have really soft paint either. Even with those, I`d be careful with the edging (even though it`s pretty soft).

Just food for thought- isn`t this gonna drive you nuts, dealing with such soft paint all the time? I mean, gee..how many years of that can you stand? I`ve sold vehicles that I otherwise liked over high-maintenance paint; IMO life`s too short to [mess] around with such hassles.

Legacy
11-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Pakshak has two types of waffle weave drying towels, get the ultra soft.

Dan
11-02-2012, 01:39 PM
I`d be more careful with the towels and choose something that conceals. There is nothing wrong with hiding swirls. Wolfturds 17.7r3 beta 2 sealant sure isn`t what you are looking for. Go to Autozone/Advance/etc grab a bottle of Ultimate Quick wax and enjoy the car show.

dynamic73
11-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the comments. I`m using some better towels and going to strip the M205 with IPA wipe down.

Scottwax
11-02-2012, 08:16 PM
I wouldn`t use waffle weaves at all with ONR, towels with a thick nap (500-600 gram weight in a 16 x 16 size) work best.

I`d just apply Wolfgang over #205 if you are having issues washing the car without any wax on it. I`ve had jet black BMWs that I can`t so a final wash before waxing to remove dust. Have to use something like Opti-Seal, wash, then reapply OS again to get around how soft the paint is.

Accumulator
11-03-2012, 01:00 PM
I`m using some better towels and going to strip the M205 with IPA wipe down.

You might have a tough time getting all the M205 oils off/out of the paint with IPA, it didn`t work all that great for me.

Legacy
11-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the comments. I`m using some better towels and going to strip the M205 with IPA wipe down.

IPA can get grabby..making you put more pressure on the mf towel. Try Eraser, doesn`t flash like IPA and just glides on the paint.

wilfredes
11-04-2012, 03:20 AM
a great site,many useful information!

http://bookstoday.info/go/smile.jpg

http://bookstoday.info/lo/sad.jpg

dynamic73
11-06-2012, 06:00 AM
The car was a big hit at the car show (1985 Toyota Celica GTS). Paint is 7 years old. And I got the most comments about how flawless my paint looked. I ended up re-polishing just the hood. With a IPA wipe down after. That`s where the marring was most obvious. I got lots of towels. So I found some better ones that didn`t mar. I don`t know if I got all the M205 off. So I`ll put on another layer. After my next car wash. I got to find some better towels to dry with ONR. Thanks for all the help.