PDA

View Full Version : I got my wash and dry method down!

Ivan Gordiyenko
10-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Ok, so last week i washed my car and did everything right except sheeting off the water and using better microfiber towels.

Yesterday, i managed to wash my car properly. FOR ONCE :)

1. Rinsed the car throughout

2. Used the 2 bucket method and got my sponge, drenched it with soap and squeezed it all over the car to get some lubricity over the wet surface

3. I dipped the sponge back into the bucket and got it nice and soapy, then started to wash the car from the top to about 6inches to 1ft below the door handles. (lower then that i used a different sponge)

4. When i am finished washing it, i rinsed the soap off the car completely..

5. Heres where the low pressure hose comes into play to bead off the excess water.

6. about 80-90% of water was now gone

7. I took some detail spray and misted it all over the car

8. Got microfiber towels(clean ones lol) and gently dragged the micro fiber towel over the wet spots. ( i barely put any pressure )

9. I knew i got allot of the dirt from the paint because the towel glided with ease. then i got another fluffy microfiber towel and did the same just in case i missed tiny water particles.

I`ve read that when drying the car, rubbing to dry the car is bad bad. (swirl marks and marring) ill constantly use less and less rubbing for drying.

Thank You Guys

Dan
10-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Glad you`re getting it down. I usually use a waffle weave after the sheeting rinse. Last pass is on a pretty dry surface with MF and a QD or QW. You`ll use less QD and get better results if the car is almost dry at that point.

Accumulator
10-24-2012, 11:19 AM
..I`ve read that when drying the car, rubbing to dry the car is bad bad. (swirl marks and marring) ill constantly use less and less rubbing for drying.

Glad to hear you`re getting the wash/dry sorted out! Keep an eye peeled for marring, which will be the true test.

I don`t believe that rubbing the paint when drying is bad, as long as a) you get all the dirt off first, and b) you rub with something that`s soft enough not to mar the paint in-and-of itself. But sure, minimizing that rubbing is always a good idea.

mikeymartin1979
10-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the helpful list! All the details matter

ls7drew
10-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Make sure you go back to your first bucket to use the grit guard after every section, maybe even more depending how big the section is and how dirty. Also I`d suggest getting a Cobra Guzzler HD waffle weave and using the blotting method that towel kicks butt, love mine.

Ivan Gordiyenko
10-24-2012, 11:11 PM
thanks everyone, ill definitely look into the waffle weave towels. sounds like they work really well.

Accumulator
10-25-2012, 12:44 PM
thanks everyone, ill definitely look into the waffle weave towels. sounds like they work really well.

They work well until they don`t ;) Sooner or later all of mine start, uhm..."pushing the water around" instead of soaking it up. But that doesn`t deter me from using/recommending them.

Just get *GOOD* ones, i.e., ones that are very soft. I like the Ultra Soft ones from PakShak (same WWMFs are available from others, but I forget what the other-label ones are called these days).