PDA

View Full Version : Tough time with bugs & tree sap today

dfoxengr
10-20-2012, 06:41 PM
I was detailing a car today and had a tough time with dozens of little dots (1/16" diameter) all over the front of the car. They were reddish/brown and really hard. I could knock them off with my fingernail then use some turtle wax brand solvent based bug cleaner on a mf towel and that did work. just very slowly.

Then I remembered that I just bought a honeycomb style, yellow bug/tar sponge this week and got out the foam gun to soap/lube the sponge and car. This seemed to work pretty well and also afterwards many of the spots just popped right off without a mess. I figure the cold water hardened them enough to make them come off without smearing.

Either way this was a big PITA. What are your secrets? I want a really safe way with minimal rubbing, which is what the bug goo and mf was all about. The sponge claims clear safe and I didn`t notice any marring.

Juan@Turbo Wax
10-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Id like to use this :smile:

Turbo Wax Bug & Oxidation Block - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__r_66tyXY)

IHA Mark
10-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Have tried clay? Its hard to know exactly what you are dealing with just based on the description. I would think blue clay would do the trick unless it is something really unique.

dfoxengr
10-22-2012, 06:25 AM
I think that clay wouldv`e worked for the slight residual after I removed the little sap (I think) drops, but they were so well adhered to the paint that I seriously doubt the clay wouldve taken them off initially.

togwt
10-22-2012, 06:49 AM
“Removal of Tree Resin / Sap” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/141056-tree-resin-sap-removal.html#post1499766

imported_Sludge
10-22-2012, 07:05 AM
dfoxengr,

Sounds like artillery fungus. We do have it here in NC. Here is an article: Artillery Fungus - Black spots on siding and windows (http://www.donnan.com/artillery-fungus.htm)

Sludge

dfoxengr
10-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Gross Sludge, haha. That`s exactly it. Thank you. Hopefully the wax coat prevents it from sticking again...

Thank you for posting. It was a huge PITA to remove.

rustytruck
10-22-2012, 08:02 PM
I had that on a small motorhome I did. I wondered what it was and now I know.

mikeymartin1979
10-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Tree sap is the worst. I usually just chip it off, like you said, very slowly.

imported_Quenga
11-18-2012, 09:18 PM
I have the worst van in my garage right now that had sap all over it. Most of it was dry and the "fastest" way was blasting it with my steamer to break it down, then wiping it up with Goo Gone. IPA didn`t phase it and it wasn`t chipping off easily. The steamer made it much easier, but 4 hours later I wish I charged more for it.

I will next time though....

cjbigcog
11-19-2012, 01:31 PM
I have the worst van in my garage right now that had sap all over it. Most of it was dry and the "fastest" way was blasting it with my steamer to break it down, then wiping it up with Goo Gone. IPA didn`t phase it and it wasn`t chipping off easily. The steamer made it much easier, but 4 hours later I wish I charged more for it.

I will next time though....

Is the heat from steam an issue for paint?