PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else take a vacation from their real jobs to detail?

Pages : [1] 2

Jngrbrdman
03-26-2006, 12:19 AM
I`m on vacation for the next week. I told my office that it was because I turn 30 on April 1st and I need a week to put my affairs in order before I kick the bucket. ;) The real reason is so I can get some much needed spring cleaning done. My garage needs it and my two cars need it. Even more in need are the half dozen regular spring cleaning clients who are scheduled this week for complete details. There is no way I`d get them done if I didn`t take time off from my day job to do them. Does anyone else find that they need to take time off from their day jobs to keep up with their side job? I only do this twice a year. Once for Spring Cleaning and once for Winter Preperation. I might take a day or two off in the summer for car show details, but I do a full week for the other two.

audiboy
03-26-2006, 12:24 AM
I don`t think I could justify taking leave to detail vehicles. I work too much to do it on my vacation time too.

Jngrbrdman
03-26-2006, 12:36 AM
I take vacation time for family stuff and home improvement as well. I just use two weeks for detailing and seasonal cleaning and preperation. I do the family vacations in the summer. I have 5 weeks off per year, so I have to use it up somehow.

Joe's Detail
03-26-2006, 12:53 AM
i need a vacation period...if i have to detail a couple vehicles.. no problem

audiboy
03-26-2006, 12:57 AM
I usually use my vacation time to go back up north to visit my family. Everything else can be taken care of during the weekends or after work.

cwcad
03-26-2006, 06:39 AM
Have never had a job that gave me vacation pay. Either you work and get paid or you don`t. Being a seasonal worker for most of my life and a detailer for less than three years I have never come up with that scenario. In a way I am envious of that option. I have to admit that having six months to do nothing but detailing for fun has made the off season so much more enjoyable for me.

74vetteman
03-26-2006, 08:17 AM
There is nothing wrong with that. I have in the past had to take a couple of days off from my full-time job to catch up on my detailing when I have fallen behind.

BLUELINE 1
03-26-2006, 09:05 AM
If I have a vehicle that needs to be detailed and the price is right I will take a vacation day to get it done. I do this a few times throughout the year.

badfish
04-01-2006, 11:31 AM
I`m on vacation for the next week. I told my office that it was because I turn 30 on April 1st and I need a week to put my affairs in order before I kick the bucket. ;) The real reason is so I can get some much needed spring cleaning done. My garage needs it and my two cars need it. Even more in need are the half dozen regular spring cleaning clients who are scheduled this week for complete details. There is no way I`d get them done if I didn`t take time off from my day job to do them. Does anyone else find that they need to take time off from their day jobs to keep up with their side job? I only do this twice a year. Once for Spring Cleaning and once for Winter Preperation. I might take a day or two off in the summer for car show details, but I do a full week for the other two.

I am taking a week off for pretty much the same thing, just waiting until the weather breaks a little more. I say screw the rest, there is nothing wrong with taking a break from the real job to kick back at home and straighten things out. I actually kind of enjoy it myself. If I dont have things clean and orderly I just plain dont like it.

OCD at its best!!

scrub
04-01-2006, 01:37 PM
I haven`t taken vacation time off to detail but I did turn down overtime (at time and a half) to detail for much less $.

Fishpimp
05-09-2006, 08:56 PM
I just took off this week. I ran a 25% off mother`s day special. So far so good but rain is in the forecast.

pt91
05-09-2006, 09:15 PM
If I had 5 weeks of vacation I would take some time off to detail. How did you get 5 weeks at such a young age?????

lbls1
05-09-2006, 09:54 PM
A couple of vacation days. With my busy schedule I had to take off in order to get the big detail job done!

Jngrbrdman
05-09-2006, 10:59 PM
If I had 5 weeks of vacation I would take some time off to detail. How did you get 5 weeks at such a young age?????

It`s called having a good employer and rolling over your vacation time every year I guess. ;) Technically I get 3 weeks per year, but I roll 2 of them over every year so ,technically I can take 5 weeks if I wanted to. I`ll take a week when my daughter is born and maybe a week toward the end of the year, but that still leaves me with 2 weeks to roll over. Being the only trainer puts me in a position of not really being able to take much time off.

Fishpimp
05-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Shoot i work for a non-profit agency and I get 5 weeks vacation, 3 weeks sick and I can carry over 240hrs a year. The only problem is that I would like more money but don`t want to lose the hours. 7:30 to 3:30.