View Full Version : Need advice on good wax and sealant that will last

Pages : [1] 2

artie93
10-14-2012, 07:41 PM
New to the forum as this is my first post, im looking to get a good wax and sealant that will last longer than a few rains. And as the weather is getting colder and winter is coming i unfortunately drive my car through the winter and would like something that would help protect my car as much as possible. I am currently just using meguiars carnuba wax ( yes i know you get what you pay for).

Since im from Canada I use eshine to purchase my products but I am very new to detailing i bought a porter cable polisher this summer and have used a few times mostly just used chemicals all in one, but since there are so many products on the market a bit of help would be great in this area as id hate to buy something and find out it sucks thanks again

IHA Mark
10-14-2012, 07:52 PM
HD Poxy from 3D is a great looking, long lasting sealant. Optimum Opti Seal has great durability too. Those are my go to last step products, but a lot of people here like products such as Collinite, which is very affordable and is said to have great durability.

I do this for a business and haven`t tried dozens and dozens of LSP`s, so maybe some of the more experienced guys and hobbyists that have stacks of LSP`s could give you some good advice too.

911fanatic
10-14-2012, 07:59 PM
For durability, its tough to beat Collinite. Any of their products will outlast pretty much anything else with 476 and 845 coming in under $20. Two coats of either will beading 6-8 months from now.

artie93
10-14-2012, 08:01 PM
yea as im not super experienced id like to find something that is relatively idiot proff so to say and a good first step and not jump right into a pro sealant or wac right away i do not have a problem spending the money on good products

tom p.
10-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah, the #845 would be a simple and inexpensive choice. I also see FK`s 1000p which is one of my preferred products for tough conditions. And you could always go with the tried `n` true: Klasse All in One followed by a couple coats of their Sealant Glaze.

Welcome aboard, Artie !! :)

Dan
10-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Collinite 845, 476S or 915 or DG105. Either can be had from eshine. They will last six months and there aren`t any waxes that can go past that. Beyond that you are looking at coatings.

Thomas Dekany
10-14-2012, 11:07 PM
HD Nitro Seal will last longer than 6 months easy not to mention how much better the look is.

Collinite 845, 476S or 915 or DG105. Either can be had from eshine. They will last six months and there aren`t any waxes that can go past that. Beyond that you are looking at coatings.

Dan
10-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Yep, from reports NS will last that long, but I`d lump it into the coating dept.

Accumulator
10-15-2012, 12:53 PM
artie93- Welcome to Autopia!

While I`m all about FK1000P these days, I`m still using Collinite on one of my (winter) cars and I think the 845 is just what you`re after. The 476S Paste Wax is a bit more durable, but the 845 is just *SO* user-friendly! You can even use it on black plastic trim (just buff it off before it dries completely when using it on trim).

artie93
10-16-2012, 08:04 AM
artie93- Welcome to Autopia!

While I`m all about FK1000P these days, I`m still using Collinite on one of my (winter) cars and I think the 845 is just what you`re after. The 476S Paste Wax is a bit more durable, but the 845 is just *SO* user-friendly! You can even use it on black plastic trim (just buff it off before it dries completely when using it on trim).

Thank you very much guys I will give the 845 a try in the next week or so, and very happy to see that people are so eager to help and give advice, to often on import forums no one is willing to lend a hand so thank you again look forward to learning a lot of this forum

SeaJays
10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
I`m from Mass and as my winter preps I usually use Menzerna Powerlock (sealant) or Collinite 845. If I have the time to let Powerlock cure I`ll top it with collinite.

pwaug
10-16-2012, 06:43 PM
So Collinite 845 will not stain trim???? And, is easy to apply?? Do you use the basic principles of most LSPs--apply a thin coat, let haze and wipe off???

Accumulator
10-17-2012, 12:10 PM
So Collinite 845 will not stain trim????

To be on the safe side- thin applications and buff off before it dries completely. If you get too much on there, and let it dry, you`ll have "wax residue" in the trim`s texture and that might cause some issues. But *NO* it`s not the "white stains from letting the wax touch the trim" problem like "those other waxes" cause. 845 is trim-friendly.

For best results, I`d use KAIO first (again, buff it off before it dries), or TOL`s Hi-Temp HC (aka "357") if the trim is in really bad shape.

And, is easy to apply??

Yes. Simple as that. The in-law to whom I gave my old Volvo has *ZERO* interest/experience/etc. when it comes to this stuff and she thinks it`s easy as can be.

Do you use the basic principles of most LSPs--apply a thin coat, let haze and wipe off???

Yeah, except buff it off before it dries when using on trim. Don`t use too much product! IF you can squeeze it out of the applicator at the end of the job, well...that`s a clue ;)

Shake shake shake before using, and even consider holding the bottle under warm/hot running water. The 845 oughta be thin as milk. If ther`s a plug of wax in the neck of the bottle (very likely), push it down into the rest of the product and shake shake shake again. Can`t over emphasize this shaking business, I bet most people quit way too soon and wonder why the product is thick/lumpy/whatever (not that it doesn`t work OK like that, just not...uhm, the right way to do it IMO).

pwaug
10-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks Accumulator!! May give it a try for the winter.

rdorman
10-19-2012, 12:34 PM
845 is what I use and I do use it on the trim. Trim looks great, lasts a long time and I save the time of having to dress the trim seperately and having to avoid getting wax on it.