PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Paint?

Pages : [1] 2

LightngSVT
10-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Its been a long time since I`ve posted here. Life got kind of busy and I got away from detailing (sort-of) and havent done any paying jobs in a few years now. But I do still keep my cars clean, just not 100%. But that all changes now! Just recently took delivery of a new 2013 Boxster and its rekindled my automotive passion.

As expected it has come with the pre-installed dealer swirl marks and a few light scratches. Though to be honest it is probably about 75% swirl free so for a dealer they actually did a "good job". What can you experts tell me about POrsche paint? Hard or soft? standard or ceramic clear coat? And what have you found to work best for polishing? Its been about 2- years since Ive purchased any polishes so I wouldnt mind trying something new (I have a small selection left of Menzerna, Meg`s, etc). I only have the PC 7424 and a Flex rotary, I havent been able to justify buying a Flex forced orbital yet.

With winter coming Its also time to polish and protect the DD`s. Ive settled on a routing of polish then a couple coats of Collonite the past few years as in the past many of the sealants were finicky or just not easy to work with, especially when it was cold or humid. I always like the results from Zaino but there were so many steps. Are there any good, easy to use sealants out now that work well topped with a quality wax?

togwt
10-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Most late model are a pleasure to work with, the paint is not dense (soft) and therefore corrects easily, but not super soft so that the slightest touch will cause marring and swirls. Be cognizant that each car is different, all things being equal a Porsche will require much less time for paint correction than most cars.

Menzerna PO 230 and then a finishing polish (PO 85) should be all you need (dependent upon your test panel results

pwaug
10-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Can`t comment on the Porsche paint but congrats on a super car. If you like the durability of Zaino you may like Duragloss 105 sealant--simple to use, reasonably priced, very durable and after curing can be topped with whatever you like. You might want to take a look a HD products from out sponsor here for your correction work 3D International, LLC (http://www.hdcarcare.com/) reasonably priced and very user friendly--long working time, no dust and no heavy oils left behind to hide marring. Based on what TOGWT had to say about the paint, you may only need HD Polish and a few HD 5.5" pads. Also consider POXY for a topper to the DG105--a hybrid sealant/wax with a fantastic look.

Dan
10-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Make is simple on the DD`s, just use ZAIO.

ihaveacamaro
10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
I like Optimum Hyper Compound and Optimum Hyper Polish. They tend to dust very minimally when you remember less is more with those products. They work well with the PC 7424 and the Flex. The polish alone might be all you need. As for sealants, new advances have been made in the last few years.

Some manufacturers have made semi-permanent (3 to 5 years) and permanent (life of car) sealants. Example of semi would be Gtechniq Exo and a permanent would be Opti-coat. I personally have Opti-coat and would recommend it to everyone. However, that means you don`t need or really get to use wax or sealants, as the max they will stay on the car is around 1 month.

If you want a more traditional wax or sealant, there are a few options. Collinite 845 is one of the best traditional waxes out there. It looks great, not too expensive, and lasts as long as any wax I have ever heard of.

My favorite sealant at the time is Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant. It lasts quite a long while to use, and unlike Collinite, is an absolute breeze to work with. Great gloss comes at 1 coat, although 2 coats will kick it even further.

Good luck :)

David Fermani
10-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Welcome back Chuck! Congrats on the new purchase. Porsche paint is probably the nicest paint to work on. Corrects super easy, but isn`t problematically soft like others. A finishing polish like Menzerna 85/106 with a semi-firm pad will leval quite a bit of defects. You normally don`t need to get very aggressive on this paint type.

As far as sealant go, here`s my all time favorite: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/135701-my-new-favorite-sealant-update-video-w-part-b.html

If you`re interested in trying some just let me know. I can also give you a bunch of samples of other polishes too. I`m in Grosse Pointe, so I`m not that far.

LightngSVT
10-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Here are the polishes I still have left:

Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish

Meg`s 82, 83, 105 and 205

Optimum Compound and polish (I believe these have gone bad since they are very watery now)

Waxes: Pinnacle Sovereign, Collonite 476s, Megs #16 and S100 (also have some Klasse AIO but never liked working with it and

So as you can see Im over due for some new detailing "toys". Hmmmm does my new baby deserve a Flex RO? :cool1: I did a little poking around and it seems that the HD product are getting really good reviews. So probably just need some HD Polish and Nano Seal? Would the Nano Seal be enough to do 3- cars (Boxster, 330i and Mountaineer)? Looks like a great product but a bit spendy at $60. How do you remove NS (I plan to have a clear bra done on the Boxster and have a few scratches on the 330i that I might want to get touched up)? So 1 coat really will last 12-18 months, no additional coats required? Will it keep its gloss that long? So you can top with Poxy, could you also top with carnuba, etc?

David, Thanks for the offer I`d be happy to take you up on it!

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r577/Lightngsvt/Boxster-%20Oct12/IMG_1480-opt.jpg

David Fermani
10-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Nitro Seal will do 2 cars for sure. Maybe 3 small ones depending? And yes, you can top it with POXY for any carnuba if you`d like (but isn`t needed).

Just a side thought that I`d like to throw out there......

If you`d like to, I`m sure we can get a local group of MI Autopians to stop by and do a huge clean up of your cars. I can supply all the products (beyond what you already have), if you and everyone else can help with the elbow grease with me? Are you still in the same garage with the attached house?? :) It would make for an incredible write up!! Let me know.

David Fermani
10-14-2012, 03:27 PM
p.s. - the Boxster looks incredible!!!

C. Charles Hahn
10-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Nitro Seal will do 2 cars for sure. Maybe 3 small ones depending? And yes, you can top it with POXY for any carnuba if you`d like (but isn`t needed).

If you`d like to, I`m sure we can get a local group of MI Autopians to stop by and do a huge clean up of your cars. I can supply all the products (beyond what you already have), if you and everyone else can help with the elbow grease with me? Are you still in the same garage with the attached house?? :) It would make for an incredible write up!! Let me know.

I`m in....

...still trying to get in touch with Margaret Dunning as well...

David Fermani
10-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Excellent! I know you`d be game Charlie.

LightngSVT
10-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Wow, seriously? :) Yep still in the 5 car garage with the attached house. But 2- spots are full, jet skit trailer and my Lightning which is about to get a new fuel system installed. hmmmm, all 3 cars done in one afternoon? Tempting for sure and free products! Let me think on that.

mikemurphy234
10-15-2012, 06:42 PM
David, count me in. I`m always willing to lend a hand.

LeMarque
10-15-2012, 07:06 PM

Rats!

You guys wouldn`t consider a trip to Santa Fe? Would You? :biggrin1:

David Fermani
10-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Sure! If you fly us in. :)