PDA

View Full Version : Winter Windshield Washer Product

kustomsol
10-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Has anyone a favourite windshield washer product for winter use? I`m in piedmont NC where our low temps rarely go below zero degrees F.

Thanks,

HRP

tom p.
10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Are you asking about booster type products, anti freeze products, or which washer fluid is "best", HRP?

kustomsol
10-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Are you asking about booster type products, anti freeze products, or which washer fluid is "best", HRP?

Which washer fluid that won`t freeze at 0 degrees is recommended, or is there a significant difference?

Accumulator
10-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I just use generic "anti-freeze" type washer fluid most of the time, no problems. The older Audi uses their "concentrated" stuff for its secondary/Intense washer system, and that stuff really works great. Not so great on LSPs/paint/etc. though.

I used to use P21s additive, but gradually found I don`t really need it. But then, despite how nasty Ohio winters can be, I don`t use my washers all that much.

tom p.
10-12-2012, 12:47 PM
I like the original Prestone product but I think it has disappeared and was replaced by something that contains a "dirt blocker" or "shield". I`ve found those can stain the paint in a real bad way...maybe it`s silicone or something, but I avoid them like the plague.

I, too, like the P21S booster mixed in with the cheapie $.99 stuff you find at the gas station or grocery store. I`ve had good luck with that. Just make sure it`s a winter-use product, HRP.

Ron Ketcham
10-12-2012, 12:48 PM
It gets damned cold in Iowa as well.

I buy whatever is on sale, with one exception.

If I "shake" the gallon jug and see a lot of "foam", I don`t buy it.

Those types have a large percentage of butyl cellosolve surfactant in them, cleans like crazy, but if it gets on the clear and is left there, weather heats up, you stand the chance of "staining" of the paint surface and it can not usually be removed, as it eats right down to the base coat.

Grumpy

Accumulator
10-12-2012, 12:50 PM
..I buy whatever is on sale, with one exception.

If I "shake" the gallon jug and see a lot of "foam", I don`t buy it.

Those types have a large percentage of butyl cellosolve surfactant in them...

Hey, that`s a good tip!

David Fermani
10-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Agreed. I`ll forever change how I`ll consider buying WW fluid. Great tip Ron.