PDA

View Full Version : Which Pads???

kustomsol
10-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Would appreciate some advice. I have a PC and need to purchase some 5 1/2" foam pads, but do not want to overbuy.

1) My 1991 Red Reatta has some swirl marks but no significant other defects. Has a lot of relatively flat panels so can be more easily detailed.

2) 2002 silver Lexus LS430 is in excellent shape and needs cleaning, sealing, etc, and light buffing.

3) 1977 Black Excalibur is in good shape with no significant paint defects, but is going to require mostly hand work as there are relatively few areas where a buffer will fit.

4) Gold Mist 2001 Honda CR-V is also in good shape and mainly needs minor cleaning, sealing, etc.

All of the above are "clear coated."

I`ll be using chiefly Zaino products, but the Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover hasn`t been quite as effective as I`d like. Any other suggestions for swirl removal, particularly in the Meguiars or other products line which are more likely to be available locally (NAPA, O`Reilly, Autozone, etc.) Or will a better foam pad improve the results of Z-PC??? I`ve been using the "Orange cutting Pad."

Thanks,

HRP

David Fermani
10-11-2012, 08:17 PM
You`re going to probably need to purchase quality pads on-line unless you have a popular reseller locally. I`d go with either the Meg`s or Lake Country Microfiber pads for cutting and Lake Country White & Black flat foam pads for finishing.

I`d look at vendors like 3D Products, Detailers Domain, Buff Daddy & Metropolitan Detail for polishing compound selections.

kustomsol
10-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the reply.

In your opinion, how do the HD foam pads compare?

HRP

vtextc
10-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I too used ZPC with orange and yellow LC foam pads with little success on our `99 CRV. I`ve now purchased some LC MF pads and Meguiars M105 and hope on giving that a try if our fall weather cooperates.

Keep us updated!

A

Dan
10-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I love ZPC by hand, its my go-to for defects I can`t hit with a machine. On the DA or Rotary, it is some of the worst stuff out there. No bite and dusts like crazy.

I agree with David`s recommendations for pads. Megs or Lake are great. Get 3 each of cut, polish and finish and you should be good. You are screwed for local pad availability unless you live next to a good detailing shop. Most of the paint supply places carry pads that are flying saucer sized. 5.5`s are the way to go. Megs UC and UP are fine choices and available locally.

imported_RZJZA80
10-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Lookup on Meg`s forums the locations of the Wal-Marts that carry their pro line, including the MF discs and compounds, maybe there`s one near you, that`s a true one stop shop right there and local too!

Edit: I looked it up for you, I believe there are even more than what this list shows now

M105/205 D300, Pads, Etc at Walmart? - Page 2 (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?53610-M105-205-D300-Pads-Etc-at-Walmart/page2&highlight=wal+mart)

Accumulator
10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
...1977 Black Excalibur is in good shape...

Hey, don`t see too many of those around!

David Fermani
10-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.

In your opinion, how do the HD foam pads compare?

HRP

I`ve been a die hard supporter of LC pads for 20+ years and think that company really knows how to make a great pad. With that said, the company that 3D sources their foam pads from is just as good. As a matter of fact, I`ve been using the Green & Blue flat foam pretty regularly and they are working extremely well. Bottom line, both are great and you can`t go wrong with either. Just make sure to go with flat/thin pads.

Bunky
10-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Buff and Shine makes some nice pads. They are resold by quite a few companies so fairly easy to acquire.

imported_RZJZA80
10-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Anyone have an issue with sling with the BnS pads? I don`t know why, but when first turning the polisher on they tend to sling polish a bit, other pads i use don`t do that.