PDA

View Full Version : Where to find the top-paying customers you`ve been looking for.

602rwtq
10-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Meet car guys who will pay you well for your car polishing skills at car shows, car clubs, and the race track.

There’s car events year-round (many more in the summer) all around you full of deep pocket guys who need clean shiny cars:

Car shows. Your local newspaper will announce carshows. They run radio advertising. Auto parts stores announce car shows with flyers.

Car clubs. Most have monthly meetings in public places like coffee shops. Google “[your city] car club.” You’ll find Ford clubs, Mustang clubs, Vette clubs, Porsche clubs, Audi clubs, and Italian clubs.

Race events. Check the website of your local race track. I prefer what’s called “track days” where owners of street-legal sports cars (sometimes the cars they drive every day), rent the race track for the day. Think: Corvette, GT-R, BMW M3/M5, Mustang, Quattro Club, and Porsche 996/997.

http://appliedcolors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/CarShow-300x255.jpeg

Of these, I’ve found parking lot “meet ups” to be the best for acquiring new customers. Owners are accessible, relaxed, and importantly…secretly want to have the cleanest, swirl-free car in the parking lot.

Find their detailing sore spots and offer yourself as a solution to their problems.

First, don’t be that guy: the one scrambling around handing out business cards to half the people there! Those cards will go straight to the garbage. Don’t even wear a company t-shirt: it says “I want to sell you something.” Big turnoff.

Just be social, be friendly…be a car guy:

Break the ice: talk about his car, not your detailing service. Point out things that are different and unique about his car. Ask about who built it, painted it, etc.

Prove you’re a car guy too. You probably got into detailing because of your love for cars. Share your passion, your knowledge of the specifics of the cars at the event. Prove to that you’re one of them, and you might become the one they trust with their car.

Listen for these hints he needs your help. You’ll find many owners take pride in their own detailing. You won’t convert them into a customer, so don’t make a fool of yourself trying to. But if you talk to enough, you’ll hear a few cries for help: “I just don’t have the time to detail my cars” or “I can’t get that shine I see on the show winning cars” These are your best prospects!

Offer advice: be generous. You’ll spot dull rubber, water spots, dry vinyl, fading leather and more. Offer solutions to these “problem areas.” But be conversational about. Don’t sound like a “know it all.”

Asking for the sale: be specific. Here’s the most common “pitch” I hear at car events: “If you ever want your car detailed, here’s my card.” That never works! Instead, point out something specific on their car–a greasy engine, heavy brake dust build up, oxidized or swirled paint–and offer yourself as the specific solution.

Talk product….talk brands. Car guys put a lot of trust in brands. Emphasize the brands of polish and wax that you use. Names like “3M, Menzerna, P21S, Swisswax, Zymol” etc. People associate brands with quality, and you, as a stranger, want to be associated with quality.

Selling is brutal, but a little goes a long way.

When my detailing business was young I absolutely hated selling. But I was persistent enough to get a just enough car crazy strangers to trust me with their car. And just enough of them loved me enough to tell their 5 more car crazy friends about me. And just enough of them loved me enough to tell 10 car crazies, and eventually reputation spread on the Internet, which made the whole project a full time enterprise!

The latest article from Applied Colors` (http://appliedcolors.com/how-to-attract-top-paying-car-crazy-detailing-customers.html) blog for reconditioners and detailers.

David Fermani
10-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Another nice article Robert. You bring up alot of great points and tips.

I kinda have mixed feelings about car shows. It`s a great place to find people who are passionate about care care, but at the same time they are 10 times more stubborn about their somewhat flawed ways. I`d have several interactions with people as they wipe their dusty cars down at the show not understanding or grasping that they are doing more harm then good.

Jean-Claude
10-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Spot on David. I`ve tried talking detailing with these guys and like David said, they tend to be very stuck on specific methods their grand-pappy taught them, ect.

There are no absolutes though and many of my now-clients, attend these events. So it`s not as much those guys will not use an expert like "you". It`s that it`s a tough venue to get them interested in "you".

Another nice article Robert. You bring up alot of great points and tips.

I kinda have mixed feelings about car shows. It`s a great place to find people who are passionate about care care, but at the same time they are 10 times more stubborn about their somewhat flawed ways. I`d have several interactions with people as they wipe their dusty cars down at the show not understanding or grasping that they are doing more harm then good.

David Fermani
10-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Probably more effective to have a booth/stand set up doing product demos where you can actually show people the before & afters. Challenge them to bring their "show car" over so you can make look night and day different. This is a tuff nut to crack.

Scottwax
10-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I get most of my rich customers from my other rich customers.

tom p.
10-17-2012, 03:08 PM
As with so many professions, this is the best approach:

I get most of my rich customers from my other rich customers.

Ask for referrals from the people you like doing business with...