PDA

View Full Version : carnauba paste or liquid?

funyfarm
10-09-2012, 02:44 PM
finally nice weather yesterday and today so i decided to try and use up the rest of my zymol cleaner wax so i can justify getting something better.

i just used the cleaner wax on my two vehicles yesterday and am looking into getting an otc carnauba wax to put on today. unfortunately, my choices are limited to meguirs gold class, ntx (not even sure if thats carnauba), surf city garage, and i think mothers. i dont want to order online bc the weather is good and i want to do this today.

my question(s) first:is carnauba wax the best next step after the cleaner wax ( zymol cleaner wax,its what i had left from a gift)...i cant find any sealants otc.

second, paste or wax....ive never used a paste and am weary but will take my time if the paste is that much better

my car is black metallic, pretty good condition ( to me at least ;) )

thanks

from what ive read on here im leaning towards the nxt because the surf city is a box with applicator/ mf combo and is $22, yet part of me still wants to try it...back of box says theyll refund your money if you dont like it

Dan
10-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Paste is usually a better value for your money, but harder to apply. No one has really shown one to be more durable than the other. I`d go for the Mothers if you want a real carnauba and can`t find Duragloss locally. NXT will strip the Zymol right off as it has cleaners.

funyfarm
10-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Paste is usually a better value for your money, but harder to apply. No one has really shown one to be more durable than the other. I`d go for the Mothers if you want a real carnauba and can`t find Duragloss locally. NXT will strip the Zymol right off as it has cleaners.

thanks. definately dont want anything with cleaners in it since i already used the cleaner wax. i cant say its the best but it was free and almost over half gone.

for hand applying paste, is a foam, terry, or microfiber applicator the easiest?

and does paste require any extra effort ( like a water spritz after curing) besides letting it cure for x amt of time?....that zymol is a pita to remove

Dan
10-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I like foam for paste, MF for liquid. You shouldn`t need any extra effort as long as it dries. You also want to apply it so thin that you don`t see it while you apply it. Use just enough so that the pad doesn`t drag.

funyfarm
10-09-2012, 03:19 PM
stupid question: do i just dab the foam applicator into the paste jar or should i take some paste out and apply it to the foam?

Dan
10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Just dab it in there. Some recommend wetting the foam then wringing it out. I go with dry most of the time unless the wax directions say to dampen the applicator. Remember, less is more, too much will make removal a total PITA.

funyfarm
10-09-2012, 03:39 PM
do i need to let it haze over or immediately remove it from the paint? saw something on a website about going over the car and letting it set until it flakes off when you rub across it, then removing

Dan
10-09-2012, 03:44 PM
read the instructions on the back for the first try.

togwt
10-10-2012, 04:31 AM
do i need to let it haze over or immediately remove it from the paint? saw something on a website about going over the car and letting it set until it flakes off when you rub across it, then removing

There is a method called the `swipe test` - after sufficient drying times do a quick swipe test with your finger, if no smearing or drag is evident; and the swipe is clear and glossy, and then you know the wax or sealant is dry and you can begin the simple task of wiping it off.