PDA

View Full Version : Sealant/wax question?

basicT
10-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi. I am in Florida and have a harbor grey 2012 elantra. I have been using Blackfire Crystal Seal, Poly Spray, and Wash Shampoo. With winter coming I bought Collinite 845 as I was alittle afraid of 476 and FK1000 wouldn`t do trim and could leave white residue in cracks. From the great reviews here I put 845 on window rubber and trim and loved it. But with one panel with 845 on it it looked dull at certain angles. I really like the Crystal Seal look and was wondering if 476 would get the look back (glow, I guess). Also, I wondered about Duragloss 105. Please! Give me your thoughts and suggestions. Thank You.

Accumulator
10-05-2012, 12:33 PM
october2- Welcome to Autopia!

Am I reading this right...the 845 was OK except for on *one* panel? If so, I`d wonder what`s different about that single panel; repaint, prep, something.

No idea how the other products would compare to Crystal Seal, sorry, never used it.

pwaug
10-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Can`t compare DG 105 with Crystal Seal, but the look is fantastic -- allot of gloss but also wet looking and I routinely get 6 months protection when applied mixed 4 to 1 with DG601.

basicT
10-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Sorry it took me so long to answer. Thank you both. And Accumulator thanks for the welcome. I should have said I did one panel of the car with 845 to compare it to Crystal Seal. I learned here not to do the whole car before doing a test panel and be disappointed. Could this be the difference between a sealant and a wax? I am still pretty new to this. I like what you said about finding one product to use instead of doing both sealant and wax. And pwaug, DG105 mixed with DG601 sounds really good. Could you please compare DG501/601 to Collinite 845 if you have used it? Thank you

Junebug
10-09-2012, 07:37 AM
If you liked Blackfire Crystal Seal, why not get Blackfire Wet Diamond? It`s a fantastic sealant, one of the few "junebug" proof sealants that always perform great. I finished up the old version and just tried the new, it`s even better.

Accumulator
10-09-2012, 09:47 AM
..I did one panel of the car with 845 to compare it to Crystal Seal. I learned here not to do the whole car before doing a test panel and be disappointed. Could this be the difference between a sealant and a wax?

The 845 is almost as close to being a "sealant" as it is to being a "wax" IMO...one of those hybrid products; I hear it has a lot of "resins" in it.

It could be that you just don`t care for how it looks, assuming you buffed it off thoroughly and otherwise did the application correctly. I was just a little surprised that it didn`t look good to you, most people like how it looks. My Audi dealer actually called me up to find out what was on my beater car (and it was 845) because so many people were asking him about why it looks so good!

basicT
10-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Thank you Junebug. Wet Diamond should last alot longer than Crystal Seal and have the same look if not better! Accumulator, I did the whole car with 845 and it seem to lighten up the color abit. As I was driving I saw a light/medium gray car and the shine caught my attention so much I couldn`t tell you what kind of car it was as it drove away-infiniti I think. I am ashamed to say "I really like the 845!" I am going to keep it for now and in spring, polish and maybe try Wet Diamond or DG105. NOW I just need a spray wax for after washing when I get the chance this winter. I am thinking Meguiar`s Ultimate Quik Wax. What do you all recommend? Thanks again.

lostdaytomorrow
10-12-2012, 09:18 AM
I like spray optimum car wax and also megs d156 which is just UQW from what I`ve read.

Accumulator
10-12-2012, 12:26 PM
... I am thinking Meguiar`s Ultimate Quik Wax. What do you all recommend? Thanks again.

I`m no expert on spray-waxes, but people do like the Meguiar`s UQW. I`ve only used Optimum Car Wax, and it`s good too.