PDA

View Full Version : Giving up on MF pads?

Pages : [1] 2

IHA Mark
10-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Well folks, I am considering ditching MF pads. I am going to lay out some pros and cons and would invite your input. I primarily use Optimum pads, and tried the new Lake Country MF pads and hated them.

MF pad pros:

Cut extremely well

Finish excellently

Simplify my pad inventory, only need 2 different types of pads for most jobs

MF pad cons: (this might not be true for everyone, but these are my experiences)

Wear extremely quickly (the glue issues are a pain for me. Maybe I am too rough on them but I tear them up quickly)

Hard to clean (compared to foam)

Seem to loose effectiveness after extended use

Expensive (compared to foam)

The bottom line is I feel like I am losing profitability by using pads that are just wearing out too quickly. I have a few old 3D pads from my first 3D order that are still going strong, and have only had to chuck a few foam pads over the course of the year so far. I bet I have tossed at least 12 MF pads because of excessive wear, or glue issues.

Should I stay the course since MF seems to be the trend of the future, or stick with what is durable and works? I know it is my decision but I would like to hear some other thoughts.

togwt
10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
The pitfalls that seem to be relative to the use of MF pads-

1. Incorrect cleaning method (try 1. compressed air or 2. pad brush)

2. Using too much pressure / too higher speed

3. Adhesive - OPT or LC seems to have less problems than Megs ( see also #3 above)

“Microfiber Pads” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/142378-microfiber-pads-part-i.html

I hope the information in this article is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please let me know

IHA Mark
10-04-2012, 09:06 AM
The pitfalls that seem to be relative to the use of MF pads-

1. Incorrect cleaning method (try 1. compressed air or 2. pad brush)

2. Using too much pressure / too higher speed

3. Adhesive - OPT or LC seems to have less problems than Megs ( see also #3 above)

“Microfiber Pads” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/142378-microfiber-pads-part-i.html

I hope the information in this article is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please let me know

I use both of those cleaning methods. Perhaps I am using too much product? I usually use Speed, Polish, or UNO on them sparingly.

Too much pressure... this is possible, but I tend to think if they can`t handle a PC on speed 5-6 I`m not sure of the durability for long term use.

I will check this thread again later today.

imported_ww2717
10-04-2012, 09:22 AM
I know that if you use the Griots 6" da at speed 6 setting with the Megs paids they have a tendancy to come a part from the velcro backing side.

Dan
10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
I`m kinda glad I`ve stayed on the sidelines with regard to the MF pads. I thought long and hard about what problem I was trying to solve with them, and i really couldn`t think of one. I guess they would be great if I did a lot of 1 steps, but other than that I can`t find a use for them.

imported_RZJZA80
10-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Speed 6 on a GG6 will heat up the spindle, backing plate, and then the pad, causing pad failure. However, this is remedied by using compressed air after each pass to clean the pad, and also cooling the pad down. SInce trying this method, I have not had one Megs MF pad fail on me, but they did when only using a pad brush, but then again I don`t go higher than speed 5 with MF pads. I wonder if something in the speed, polish, or uno is causing some problems with the pads? I used speed on a Megs MF polishing pad once, and it gummed up the MF and would not clean with APC so I threw it away.

Thomas Dekany
10-04-2012, 11:26 AM
That is a complete non sense.

Over heating the pads is the issue, by using too much pressure and too high speeds, not products.

Did you not read Mark`s replies?

I use both of those cleaning methods and
Too much pressure... this is possible

Instead, you just take the opportunity to bash HD products. Thank you for your services sir!

So how do you explain ALL the MF failures that were used with D300 and 105? Or the no issues with the MF pads used with HD PRODUCTS?

Speed 6 on a GG6 will heat up the spindle, backing plate, and then the pad, causing pad failure. However, this is remedied by using compressed air after each pass to clean the pad, and also cooling the pad down. SInce trying this method, I have not had one Megs MF pad fail on me, but they did when only using a pad brush, but then again I don`t go higher than speed 5 with MF pads. I wonder if something in the speed, polish, or uno is causing some problems with the pads? I used speed on a Megs MF polishing pad once, and it gummed up the MF and would not clean with APC so I threw it away.

imported_RZJZA80
10-04-2012, 11:35 AM
That is a complete non sense.

Over heating the pads is the issue, by using too much pressure and too high speeds, not products.

Did you not read Mark`s replies?

and

Instead, you just take the opportunity to bash HD products. Thank you for your services sir!

So how do you explain ALL the MF failures that were used with D300 and 105? Or the no issues with the MF pads used with HD PRODUCTS?

What part of "I wonder" do you not understand? It`s a question since he mentioned the products he used on them. Overheating the pads has been a known issue, and using compressed air has been known to help/cure that issue, therefore, I asked about the products on the pads, and adding that speed gummed up a MF pad for me, do you understand now? Also, Megs initial batches of the pads were known to come apart which they fixed a while back.

You could try to respond directly to the OP with some helpful tips instead of having a heart attack because someone asks if the products had anything to do with it. But anyway, get the thread back on topic.

Thomas Dekany
10-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Do you ever wonder if 300 or 105 is the issue with the MF pads that fail these days?

My post had nothing to do with the original Meg`s batch. Use your MF pads TODAY, with too much pressure, too high speeds and the velcro is toast.

Instead of telling me what I should be doing, maybe you should stop blaming HD products at any turn you can and leave a helpful reply instead.

The issue Mark is having, based on his replies to an actual "HELPFUL" post (TOGWT`s) is speed/pressure. How you can not see that is very intriguing.

What part of "I wonder" do you not understand? It`s a question since he mentioned the products he used on them. Overheating the pads has been a known issue, and using compressed air has been known to help/cure that issue, therefore, I asked about the products on the pads, and adding that speed gummed up a MF pad for me, do you understand now? Also, Megs initial batches of the pads were known to come apart which they fixed a while back.

You could try to respond directly to the OP with some helpful tips instead of having a heart attack because someone asks if the products had anything to do with it. But anyway, get the thread back on topic.

Junebug
10-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Something I`ve wanted to try but haven`t is using MF pads on my rotary, I`m thinking that they should run cooler and have less stress on the glue holding them together. Anybody try it - please post.......Thanks!

Thomas Dekany
10-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi Mark

I have been using MF pads since the very first moment they were available for sale. Used properly, meaning speed 4.5 on GG PC or the 3D PC, or PCXP speed 5, I have never had any issues with any brand. When I need to up the speed or use more pressure than normal, I use a pad for only 1 panel (half a hood) at a time and switch to another pad for the following panel and switch back to the original pad. This way, I have found, that the pads don`t overheat. Try that and see if you get better durability. Another thing I noticed a long time ago is that the 3" backing that comes from the Meg`s kit (with all the holes in it) kept the smaller pads cooler and the pads lasted way longer than I expected, due to me abusing them -pcxp, speed 6. Just recently I was made aware, that Kevin sells the same type of backing in a large size. Order one and give MF pads another chance - they are worth it in my book.

Well folks, I am considering ditching MF pads. I am going to lay out some pros and cons and would invite your input. I primarily use Optimum pads, and tried the new Lake Country MF pads and hated them.

MF pad pros:

Cut extremely well

Finish excellently

Simplify my pad inventory, only need 2 different types of pads for most jobs

MF pad cons: (this might not be true for everyone, but these are my experiences)

Wear extremely quickly (the glue issues are a pain for me. Maybe I am too rough on them but I tear them up quickly)

Hard to clean (compared to foam)

Seem to loose effectiveness after extended use

Expensive (compared to foam)

The bottom line is I feel like I am losing profitability by using pads that are just wearing out too quickly. I have a few old 3D pads from my first 3D order that are still going strong, and have only had to chuck a few foam pads over the course of the year so far. I bet I have tossed at least 12 MF pads because of excessive wear, or glue issues.

Should I stay the course since MF seems to be the trend of the future, or stick with what is durable and works? I know it is my decision but I would like to hear some other thoughts.

imported_RZJZA80
10-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Something I`ve wanted to try but haven`t is using MF pads on my rotary, I`m thinking that they should run cooler and have less stress on the glue holding them together. Anybody try it - please post.......Thanks!

I did last night, just to try it out on very hard clear, and with Megs MF cutting disc and about speed 2.5 on my Makita, it gave very similar results as with using it on my GG6 at speed 4.5-5, but it seemed to me that it just somehow works better with the DA. Each test panel (half of the hood for each) took two passes to correct, both with the GG6 and the Makita, so I am not sure if using it with a rotary will make correcting any faster or not. Heat wasn`t an issue as I use compressed air after every pass.

RaskyR1
10-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Funny, I was thinking on giving up on foam pads. :)

In all seriousness I think your issues can all be resolved in a change of technique and cleaning process of the pads.

Accumulator
10-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I`m still loving the Meguiar`s MF cutting pads for serious correction. Quick, easy, and nice finishing. I *finally* had one of my 3" ones separate from the velcro, but it sure gave me lots of service before it finally died. With M105 or Uno, the Meg`s MF cutting pads simply work great for me.

gmblack3
10-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Funny, I was thinking on giving up on foam pads. :)

In all seriousness I think your issues can all be resolved in a change of technique and cleaning process of the pads.

Lol.

As usual chad speaks the truth. You can have my Meg`s Mf pads when you pry. Never.