PDA

View Full Version : Used car --- first steps

CYI1
09-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Alright everyone,

I understand that some might flame me, but there is just SO much information that I`m not sure exactly where to start.

I just picked up a 2007 Honda Element in what I think is an amazing colour -> Rootbeer Metallic. The car does have some swirls, scratches and other things that you would expect from a used vehicle. I`ve never owned a vehicle with metallic paint and I haven`t really done too much detailing. I love this colour and I really want to protect and rejuvenate the car.

What are the main steps I should take first? I`m also looking for advice on some basic supplies that I should buy. I really don`t have any other than purchasing from a box store (canadian tire).

Thanks in advance guys, I`m looking forward to learning a lot.

Street5927
09-29-2012, 02:49 PM
It is hard to sum it up entirely. I guess the best way to start is to ask what are your expectations? I mean, what condition is the paint in now and what do you want it to look like. I would start with reading some posts and searching for some of your questions.

CYI1
09-29-2012, 03:16 PM
It is hard to sum it up entirely. I guess the best way to start is to ask what are your expectations? I mean, what condition is the paint in now and what do you want it to look like. I would start with reading some posts and searching for some of your questions.

I would consider the paint to be in good condition with some slight surface scratches and maybe on scratch that is too deep to repair. However, I`m not sure.

I`m looking at getting the paint to a best condition I can and also help protect it against the cold/snowy/salty road winters here.

Dan
09-29-2012, 05:50 PM
As with anything prep is the key. You said BEST condition...

-Decon

-Wash

-Clay

-Polish

-Protect with OptiCoat

Since you are shopping locally, the decon step is not really going to happen, and neither is the Opticoat. Even then, shopping locally means that your protection, the wax/sealant is going to have limited durability. I`m pretty sure even the more durable OTC stuff isn`t available in Canada, that it Collinite and Duragloss. Eshine.ca are good peeps, check them out.

CYI1
09-29-2012, 07:25 PM
As with anything prep is the key. You said BEST condition...

-Decon

-Wash

-Clay

-Polish

-Protect with OptiCoat

Since you are shopping locally, the decon step is not really going to happen, and neither is the Opticoat. Even then, shopping locally means that your protection, the wax/sealant is going to have limited durability. I`m pretty sure even the more durable OTC stuff isn`t available in Canada, that it Collinite and Duragloss. Eshine.ca are good peeps, check them out.

I was actually doing some research on the decon, it seems extensive and possibly not needed in my case at the moment. I have clay barred before so I`m familiar with that, however, I`m very much lost on what products to buy.

I have no problem ordering from eshine. They do seem like the best avenue to get products.

Dan
09-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Decon not needed? Neither is washing! But if you are looking for a good base, its a great way to go.

Do you have a DA or rotary? Or will you be suffering...err doing by hand?

P-nut
09-30-2012, 01:11 PM
I`m very much lost on what products to buy.

Sorry to say, but a thread like this isn`t likely to clear that up for you. If you`re already overwhelmed by the information you found in your searches, then this is just going to add to it. There are no "best" products, and there is no silver bullet to get your car to where you want it. Detailing is an art, not a science, and there are hundreds of products that will achieve similar results. I suggest you start with some basic, commonly mentioned ones that you find in your search and get some experience with them and see if you like the results. Then you can experiment with other products as you see fit.

Another thing I`ll add....the quality of your results will be determined by about 90% technique and 10% product choice. Don`t get too focused on the product choice, focus on the right tools (DA polisher to begin with) and techniques first.

CYI1
09-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Decon not needed? Neither is washing! But if you are looking for a good base, its a great way to go.

Do you have a DA or rotary? Or will you be suffering...err doing by hand?

My wording wasn`t correct. I understand what you are saying. I just don`t have the means to do a proper decon where I am. I would have to order the product online. A full decon, which I`m still not 100% clear of its process/products will be done in the spring.

I don`t have a DA or Rotary, but I would like to pick up a fairly inexpensive one.

tonygxp
09-30-2012, 03:10 PM
DA? Rotary? u can find one for $125 or so (new) Not sure what the Canadian mark up is lol.. I find at The simple meguiars line works very well. The ultimate compound, polish, wax. If you are looking to please people other than yourself with fancy names of polishes waxes, or like to spend alot of extra $$$ for the best of the best of the best (which in the end, it`s a Honda Element...used) than by all means research your but off lol. Another thing about the Megs that i like is no white powder residue. I`ve just never been done wrong by them. If you want to cut a step out, pick up some Meg`s 205 to replace the Ultimate compound/polish. I find the 205 do correct (minimally) enough swirls/minor surface imperfections and Gold Class over the top after that (although for you the longevity of the Ultimate Wax, being synthetic and all) works well.

Like stated in a prior post, don`t get all hung up on product as much as the effort, work (eg DA, rotary, Flex, and technique, etc). You tube is your friend here... Obviously try to weed out the dummy vids and stick the recognizable people from the bigger companies.

Dan
09-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Great post from Tony. Don`t get hung up on product. Get the process down. I think this is what you are looking for... something quick before winter arrives. I`d simply do a good wash, clay and then use a durable wax of your choice. Check out ONR for mid winter washes if you have access to a garage. Then when spring comes around, re-vist the effort.

jay-d
09-30-2012, 07:22 PM
For starters, I would paint it a different color :P lol

All seriousness though...

To me it sounds like you`re not ready to do everything that is necessary.

For you the bare essentials would be enough.

Go to your local auto parts store that`s like a Pep Boys, Advanced Auto Parts, Auto Zone, etc.

Get some car wash soap.

Get a clay bar.

Get Zymol cleaner wax.

Wash the car.

Clay it. Make sure the car is wet and even a little soapy. I`m lazy and just dunk the claybar in the bucket of soapy water (i`m also very experienced.)

Every time the clay bar gets dirty, and you`ll see the dark muck come from the car on the bar, kneed it so that you get a clean bar again. (it`s like magic :P)

Wash the car again.

Put some Zymol cleaner wax on it and wipe it off with a rag.

Hose down the car to rinse it off. This will spread the zymol over the paint even better.

Dry the car. Put on your favorite tire shine and you`re good to go :)

These guys here are way advanced and use some serious products which are awesome, but where you`re at, you`re better off with the local store stuff.

Show us pics when you`re done :)