PDA

View Full Version : When to wipe/wash jambs (or shuts)

LordTakuban
09-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I originally posted this in reply to a thread that was perhaps in the wrong forum but here my question in the proper place...

I have been searching all over the forum for when the best (or mostly accepted) time to clean the jambs is in the process of a detailing or washing. In the past, I`ve done it after washing the car, but before drying. I know, I know, not the best. I know that now. So My current thoughts on it are to do it between doing the interior (vacuum, windows, etc) and the wash (wheels/wells, body).

I`m using Garry Dean`s IUDJ and a damp MF towel to clean the jambs. I tell ya, that`s stuff`s like Franks Red Hot sauce. I put that sh*t on EVERYTHING! haha. ... Anyway, My thoughts on the jambs are to always keep them fairly clean with a quick wipe so that a heavier detail of that area is not needed as often. And I`m kinda anal about cleaning everything. Which is why I have the question about it. Here`s why I am not sure as to the best time:

1. Clean the jambs before washing - I will have water left in the jambs which will aid in them getting dirty quicker and they might leave spots or streaks. I have an air compressor, but my neighbors already think I`m overly anal about my car(s). And the compressor is pretty loud and adds more time.

2. Cleaning the jambs after - The car is outside longer and it might result in water spots or other streaking on the exterior or require more drying. I realize the air compressor would fix that too, but I`m trying to avoid that.

Anyway, opinions are definitely welcome and appreciated. :)

David Fermani
09-28-2012, 04:36 PM
I do jambs as I do with engines:

Spray with an APC

Aggitate if needed

Hand wash

Rinse (power washer)

Blow dry (leaf blower)

Final wipe (at end)

LordTakuban
09-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Sounds good. But when in the whole process do you typically do them when washing a car? That`s the part I`m trying to figure out which seems to work best for people.

Thomas Dekany
09-28-2012, 06:13 PM
I mostly use a pressure washer to wash cars and I rinse the whole car first, apc the doorjambs etc. agitate, rinse. Wash wheels, then car. Hope this helps

cjbigcog
09-28-2012, 06:27 PM
If the jambs are not too dirty, I wonder if HD Free would be a good product to use?

Thomas Dekany
09-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Even if they are pretty dirty, HD FREE or Waterless wash will do the job. Give them a chance

C. Charles Hahn
09-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Yup, the IUDJ is still all you need.... it`ll get even somewhat heavier soiling handled.

LordTakuban
09-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Cool deal. I`ll go with the jambs first, then the wheels/wells, then body. I can then just dry the jambs while drying the car or use the air compressor if I`m feeling like being super complete with it.

Thanks for the input.

Accumulator
09-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Noting that I do conventional washes (only), I either do them when doing the "regular sides" of the doors, or as the final part of the wash.

Dan
09-29-2012, 01:43 PM
First time cleaning them: Part of the whole car wash.

Maintenance: Wipe them down after drying the car.*

*- I could give a flip if my door sills are swirled, so I just wipe them down with the wrung out towel from drying the car.

LordTakuban
09-29-2012, 03:00 PM
I ended up doing them twice on my wash this morning. the second time was just to dry them though. Here`s a time-lapse video if anyone is interested:

http://youtu.be/a-ZN6IKzivQ

Thanks again.

imported_reeeko99
09-29-2012, 04:02 PM
HD Free works great on door jams..... Use it all the time.

If the jambs are not too dirty, I wonder if HD Free would be a good product to use?

David Fermani
09-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Sounds good. But when in the whole process do you typically do them when washing a car? That`s the part I`m trying to figure out which seems to work best for people.

Yes, I`ll start pre-soaking the jambs and engine immediatly after giving the exterior a pre-wash rinse. The longer you allow for it to dwell, the better it will loosen the heavy soiling.

You should consider investing ina leaf blower.

What part of FL are you in?

LordTakuban
09-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes, I`ll start pre-soaking the jambs and engine immediatly after giving the exterior a pre-wash rinse. The longer you allow for it to dwell, the better it will loosen the heavy soiling.

You should consider investing ina leaf blower.

What part of FL are you in?

I`m in Plantation. I used to have a leaf blower, but it was a little broken. I do have an air compressor and retractable hose with a rubber tip air chuck for it that I could use. I just tend to get lazy with that part of it. I might try it out on the next one.

polishd
10-09-2012, 11:05 PM
I generally Pre Soak after washing but dont actually clean them until towards the end of the process.

Car Detailing Adelaide (http://www.polishd.com.au/Sapphire%20Detail.html)