PDA

View Full Version : Armor All Extreme Tire Shine

CivicC
09-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Hey everyone,

I`m new to detailing and the forum as of a few weeks ago. I bought AA extrem tire shine gel (ArmorAll Extreme Tire Shine | Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/CarWashingCleaning/TireWheelCare/PRDOVR~0390703P/ArmorAll+Extreme+Tire+Shine.jsp?locale=en)) and used it on my original tires on the 07 civic. The result was brilliant, my favourite thusfar, not slimy, no sling, and a mix of flat and shiny in one.

However, I`ve been given the impression that AA products are junk and will just dry out/crack the sidewalls of my tires.

I just bought brand new Continental DWS`s and want to get off on the right foot with them. Is this tire dressing going to harm the tires?

If it won`t, and if you haven`t tried it, you probably should, cuz it lasts forever!

E-Jag
09-25-2012, 03:50 PM
I`ve been using this product for several years and like it better than the boatload of other tire shine products I`ve tried. Most either sling or last about as long as it takes me to put the hose away. I don`t believe it will harm your tires...but, of course, I`m the guy who used to rub brake fluid on his tires (60`s and 70`s) to make them look good so my thought processes may be a little skewed.

IHA Mark
09-25-2012, 04:16 PM
I use AA tire gel a lot ever since I got a bunch of bottles for $3 each on markdown. It is a good, shiny product but will collect dust quickly. Overall a good tire shine though.

Dan
09-25-2012, 04:46 PM
I like the look but as Mark stated, it attracts a lot of dirt and dust. It made tire cleanup a pain. I get a similar look from Mother`s FX and Megs Hyperdressing @1:1 and my tires stay much cleaner.

CivicC
09-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I agree it has a nice shine, however, I haven`t had any problems with dust collecting on them, I usually rub any excess off and then maybe once a week run a dry rag around the tire to dust it, IMHO I thought it repelled dust haha!

So, am I safe to assume that this product won`t reduce the sidewal life of my tires?

One more thing, I bought tires that have a very plain/smooth sidewall(continental DWS) but they arrived kind of scratched up. Any suggestions as to cope/deal with this? It`s very noticable and makes them look like used tires

Dan
09-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Industry accepted tire life is what like 5 years now? I don`t think there is an OTC chemical from one of the major companies that will really deteriorate a tire by then. I`ve use them all pretty much, what seems to destroy tires is my driving style, not my tire grease!

Underdawg736GTC
09-26-2012, 06:09 AM
I`m not particularly a big fan of high gloss tire products, I prefer a more subtle matte finish that brings out the black with a hint of gloss and shine that can really bring out the finish of the rims.....especially chrome or polished aluminum!

For me I always seem to go for Megs High Endurance tire gel and 3D`s Ultimate Protectant. One application with a foam tire applicator on both products usually gives me the desired results that I`m looking for. The Meg`s HE gel usually finishes off with a bit more gloss then 3D`s UP, perfect for showing off at events, although 3D`s UP is also perfect for everyday driving and achieving a nice deep black matte look. Neither one sling or attract dirt and dust thru normal driving IMO.

AA got a bad rap back in the day for what chemicals were used in their products.....I believe they were pretty heavy in the petrochemical and silicon department. Formulas have changed for the better, but again I don`t really use them too much as it`s too much shine and gloss for my taste.

Kean
09-26-2012, 12:42 PM
AA got a bad rap back in the day for what chemicals were used in their products.....I believe they were pretty heavy in the petrochemical and silicon department. Formulas have changed for the better, but again I don`t really use them too much as it`s too much shine and gloss for my taste.

....it’s not necessarily “silicone” that was the problem but the type that was used in their original formulation.

Back in the mid 70`s, I ran Rebel Dist (m/c parts and acces) for Frank Ancona in KC.

Armor All had just hit the market, we sold tons of it, even though people slide right off their seat when riding.

My cousin in SoCal was a drinking buddy with the guy who invented it, sold it off to someone for a couple of million.

Got to know him through my cousin after he sold, all it was was dimethal silicone fluid, and emulsifer and water.

Yes, due to the dimethal silicone would accelerate the plastizer loss from vinyl, but everyone loved the look.

In the either late 80`s or early 90`s, there was a lawsuit regarding how it negatively affected rubber and vinyl.

They changed the formula to a water based aminosiloxane resin.

This is the same that everyone who makes a water based dressing uses today.

Some are using a higher grade of the resin, others put the max amount of resin in their product (IE why some cost more than others and last longer) and others just add a thickening agent to make it appear to have more resin content.

What I am saying is that one may use the Armor All today and not have the old problem.

By the way, the rule of thumb for the max amount of resin is around 30%.

Grumpy

Alfisti
09-27-2012, 10:38 AM
....it’s not necessarily “silicone” that was the problem but the type that was used in their original formulation.

I think it was the type of petroleum distillate carrier that they used that caused the problems. Now AA are mainly water-based.

Kean
10-02-2012, 12:08 PM
I think it was the type of petroleum distillate carrier that they used that caused the problems. Now AA are mainly water-based. The way I understand it was that the dimethyl silicone they used in the original formula (mentioned in the earlier quote) was solvent based and the reason for the problems. ....but I have a feeling we may be talking about the same thing. I defer to Ron`s expertise on the subject.

Below is a snippet from one of TOGWT`s threads on the subject:

The difference between water and solvent based is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon silicone to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing`s active ingredients (silicone oil) behind; this type of silicone leaves a high gloss shine and will repel water longer but it is non-biodegradable. Most high gloss products are based upon (DMS) solvents. Water-based dressings (usually a milky-white liquid) use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/137035-silicone-polymerized-siloxanes.html

DM101
10-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Another good product is Duragloss Tire & Rubber Mat Dressing (TMD) #253. I have no need to try anything else on my tires. Water based.